30 for 30 Question | The Boneyard

30 for 30 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownie

"Sword of God"
Reaction Score
Seeing that 30 for 30 is on currently, highlighting NC State's "improbable" run to the 1983 championship. What are the odds that Uconn's improbable post season run through the Big East and NCAAs in 2011 will ever be chronicled?

Reaction Score
Seeing that 30 for 30 is on currently, highlighting NC State's "improbable" run to the 1983 championship. What are the odds that Uconn's improbable post season run through the Big East and NCAAs in 2011 will ever be chronicled?

Odds are that they will one day chronicle Butler's run to back to back championship games, and we'll play the role of the Death Star.

If the Death Star had won.

Reaction Score
Probably pretty good if someone from the team gives one of the greatest speeches of all time while dying of cancer.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Never gonna happen because we get NO RESPECT!!

P_Rodney_Dangerfield_1.jpeg

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Nobody was ill or died. It wasn't a redemption story. We weren't giant-killers. The team just went on an amazing, historic run. Not the recipe for a tearjerking 30 For 30 episode. I mean, *I* would watch the hell out of it, but I don't know how many others would.

Reaction Score
Good point, because I can't think of a more improbable scenario than what we started with before the run. I still think it's the greatest run in the history of the NCAA when you consider both the BE and NCAA tournaments. But now with all thst has gone (negativity against both our program and past coach) down I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

Reaction Score
Let me start this by saying that the 30 for 30 Survive and Advance was excellent and by far the best one ESPN ever did. One thing I learned from that was how NC State needed to win the ACC Tournament in 83 because they would not have gotten an at large bid.

I would want to see a 30 for 30 based on Calhoun's entire coaching career at UConn instead of just the 2011 season.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
It should be done but if they(ESPN) did do it they would work all the negative stuff into the story also . Nate Miles, Yahoo, scholarship loss ,etc. I could see them even interviewing Miles during the thing. It would kinda be like the NC state, Miami U and Smu 30 for 30 all in one . :)

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Let me start this by saying that the 30 for 30 Survive and Advance was excellent and by far the best one ESPN ever did. One thing I learned from that was how NC State needed to win the ACC Tournament in 83 because they would not have gotten an at large bid.

I would want to see a 30 for 30 based on Calhoun's entire coaching career at UConn instead of just the 2011 season.

I thought so as well, Survive and Advance was great
I'd also put The Pony Express & The Best that Never Was in the Top 3 as well

Reaction Score
The NC State 30 for 30 was good but it was nowhere near the best 30 for 30. Just off the top of my head these were all far better. The Two Pablos, Drazen and Vlade, Marcus Dupree, Len Bias, "Benji" Wilson, Chris Herren, Ole Miss football team. The series has been amazing, The Two Pablos was unreal.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Two Escobar's was excellent. I really liked the one on Jimmy The Greek. The U was good as was Bo and the Pony Express.

Are we really so insecure as to worry about what might need a documentary years from now?

TS makes a great point anyway. A 30 for 30 that showed Calhoun's career would be a much better story than the 2011 run. The better games were in the conference tournament and the Butler game is a terribly boring ending.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If they did a 30 for 30 on UConn, it would be on both Geno and Calhoun, not just Calhoun. The simultaneous rise of both programs from virtually nothing and the impact on the university together with the fact that they didn't like each other is a better story than just Calhoun's career.

Reaction Score
What was so impressive was the quality of players they went against that season. MJ, Clyde Drexler, Akeem O, Ralph Sampson to name a few

Reaction Score
I think its egocentric to react to that 30-for-30 thru the prism of UConn. NC State in 83 was really just as responsible for ushering in the big-time era of college basketball as Bird-Magi in 79 and Villanova over Georgetown in 85 (by then it was in the spotlight, but that proved it was great).

The documentary was about Jimmy V, his unique life, personality, vision and a team of guys who came together at the right moment to reach spectacular heights 'quite frankly' in excess of their individual talents. The innovative basketball coaching changes were really interesting. Did Jimmy V start or at least popularize the fouling strategy during the one-and-one? Point being, NC State beat teams collectively and thru coaching with vastly superior talent. The final buzzer beater play was improbably perfect cap to it all, the strategy was as much luck as good and you had to be a bit of a crazy genius to pull it off. Jimmy V was a really inspiring guy and from a UConn perspective I'm happy he was an assistant coach at UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom