#3 (soon to be #1?) BU @ UConn Game Thread | The Boneyard

#3 (soon to be #1?) BU @ UConn Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
#1 and #2 have lost...so in a way, UConn is playing the #1 team in the country. Kinda.

Reaction Score
ManthonyCourant1:46pm via Twitter for iPhone
@UConnMHOC lines vs No. 3 BU...pic.twitter.com/I2OSM69bes

ManthonyCourant1:49pm via Twitter Web Client
@UConnMHOC lines same vs BU as Fri EXCEPT 4th line RW Ferriss sick. Kunnas moves from D to RW with return of Segalla (missed 3 w concussion)

ManthonyCourant1:51pm via Twitter Web Client
Interesting move by @UConnMHOC coach Cavanaugh moving Kunnas from D to RW w/ Ferriss sick. Evan Richardson healthy scratch for 2nd gm in row

ManthonyCourant1:52pm via Twitter Web Client
Joona Kunnas RW today. He's the third @UConnMHOC defenseman Cavanaugh has moved to forward this season (Segalla, Austin are both on D today)

uh.jpg

Reaction Score
@ManthonyCourant: Less than 500 tickets remain for @UConnMHOC game vs. BU at XL Center. Puck drops in less than an hour.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
1-0 BU at the 1st intermission. Though UConn dominated most of the 1st period, but couldn't get the break through.

zls44

Reaction Score
First game where it really felt like a severe talent disadvantage. Great push in the third period to cut it to one, until Eichel decided he'd had enough messing around.

Reaction Score
What a game. My crew had a really good time. BU moved the puck really well. They are really talented and fun to watch. In about 3 to 5 years, with better recruiting, I can see UCONN being up there near the top of HE.
The game was a lot of fun.

Reaction Score
@UConnMHOC: UConn Falls to #3 Boston University, 5-2 http://post original url/kNVRydTigs

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Love this team. Don't know the meaning of the word quit.

Reaction Score
Love this team. Don't know the meaning of the word quit.
They really gave us a game and didn't keel over and give up in the 3rd when BU was controlling play with a commanding three-goal lead. A very opportunistic bunch. Obviously, the talent gap between these two teams is sizeable, but UConn works hard and grinds on every shift, and that finally paid off for them in the 3rd. Definitely not a basement dweller this year. You've got a very real shot at getting home ice in the HE qualifying round, and advancing. On the drive home, my friends and I were talking about the list of teams we wouldn't want BU to match up with in the first (really second) round of the HE playoffs, and UConn was near the top of that list, primarily because Nichols is a very, very solid goaltender who can steal a lot of games. I'd take a matchup with UMass, Northeastern, Merrimack, and UNH all day over UConn.

Dooley

Reaction Score
They really gave us a game and didn't keel over and give up in the 3rd when BU was controlling play with a commanding three-goal lead. A very opportunistic bunch. Obviously, the talent gap between these two teams is sizeable, but UConn works hard and grinds on every shift, and that finally paid off for them in the 3rd. Definitely not a basement dweller this year. You've got a very real shot at getting home ice in the HE qualifying round, and advancing. On the drive home, my friends and I were talking about the list of teams we wouldn't want BU to match up with in the first (really second) round of the HE playoffs, and UConn was near the top of that list, primarily because Nichols is a very, very solid goaltender who can steal a lot of games. I'd take a matchup with UMass, Northeastern, Merrimack, and UNH all day over UConn.

Are you a BU grad/fan?

Completely agree with everything you said. BU was BY FAR the fastest and most skilled team we've seen at the XL this season. Eichel is a special talent. Really creative with the puck with a phenomal handle. He's a little small for the NHL but I can see him as a Phil Kessel type of player very quickly. BU's passing was crisp - tape to tape for the most part. Definitely deserving on a #1 ranking.

I'm very proud of our guys not giving up the fight in the 3rd period. They had every excuse to fold up shop after they fell 3-0 on a bad bounce goal. But no, this isn't football!, our worker bees kept at it. I know we lost 5-2 and there is definitely a talent gap, but I was very proud to be a Husky leaving the arena yesterday. I hope that in a few years, we can play BU on both a talent level and an effort.

Nichols is a very good goaltender. The save he made on Eichel was Dominik Hasek-esque which is funny because Nichols plays more like Jonathan Quick (quick legs, absorbs rebounds, VERY quick pipe to pipe).

zls44

Reaction Score
Dooley spot-on with the Hasek flashback on that save. Nichols did fantastic on Eichel's chances, had to drive him nuts in the moment.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Dooley spot-on with the Hasek flashback on that save. Nichols did fantastic on Eichel's chances, had to drive him nuts in the moment.

There were a couple of saves that caused some BU players to look up to the rafters in frustration. The save Nichols made in the second on one of BU's power plays where he went pipe to pipe and not give up a rebound was a thing of beauty.

Reaction Score
Yes, BU grad and now 10-year season ticket holder. Definitely a mindbend for me to root against UConn, but in hockey I do. That said, it's great to see the level the program is already at in its first year and they're a solid addition to the conference. There are some real good building blocks there to mold a competitive team this year and in coming years. BC is down this year, but the win over Vermont is just as solid. BU and Lowell are probably the two best teams in the league, though Lowell's goaltending is very suspect so you'd have a shot at them. Good luck the rest of the season, I'll be keeping my eye on how they do and would really prefer not to play in the HE tournament second round. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom