3 point shooting | The Boneyard

3 point shooting

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Its been up and down lately. Yesterday 12.5%. I keep posting we need to get set and shoot and catch and shoot. I would like to see us shooting more from inside the arch then outside the arch and not take the first open shot which has been a 3 pointer lately. Catch set shoot and if its not there pass the ball. Short and Sweet.

Shooting treys is gonna be a big part of our game in the NCAAs and we need to make'em.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
I think it was Megan C. on SNY who remarked that Octavia Barnes of Houston shot over 4000 3s over a 12 week period and is currently leading the AAC with 49% on successful 3s. I'm assuming the practice shots were during the previous summer. I don't know how UConn practices 3 shooting.

Reaction Score
I think it was Megan C. on SNY who remarked that Octavia Barnes of Houston shot over 4000 3s over a 12 week period and is currently leading the AAC with 49% on successful 3s. I'm assuming the practice shots were during the previous summer. I don't know how UConn practices 3 shooting.

It is amazing that a program of this magnitude does not have a player (or a scheme) to shut down a hot 3 point shooter(s). The hope that they "cool down" seems to be the approach. Current high school players are becoming 3 point phenoms, so a new approach will be needed in the future.

Reaction Score
Brian Scalabrine makes a great point on the Celtics broadcasts, that one should not attempt a 3-point shot until the ball has at least touched the paint. I believe in that 100%, especially regarding my favorite teams, the Celts and Huskies.
The ball gets into the paint by way of dribble penetration, post pass, pick and roll, cut, back door. The defense has to react to any and all of those possibilities, thereby leaving a shooter open. Finally the shooter needs to relocate, meaning to move so the defense doesn’t know where they are, and/or move to the spot that is open on the floor. Shooter should be ready, like was said by Tonyc and the pass needs to be on target.
All these fundamentals happen and UConn shoots at least 40% from 3.
Passing around the perimeter does not break down a defense or open up the inside for 2nd chance points. Taking the first look available does not move the defense. Finally, shooters are in rhythm when the team is moving or clicking.

Reaction Score
and Yet we still scored 83. I look at how well we move the ball and what kind of shots we’re getting rather than if they are going in. We are playing great basketball right now, that’s all that matters.

Reaction Score
It is amazing that a program of this magnitude does not have a player (or a scheme) to shut down a hot 3 point shooter(s). The hope that they "cool down" seems to be the approach. Current high school players are becoming 3 point phenoms, so a new approach will be needed in the future.
I would contend that there is no answer. The reason I am always pushing for us to penetrate more is because there is no answer to dribble drive, dish. The defense has to slide over and help against the drive, automatically leaving someone open.
Maybe an answer is to just stop the penetration one-on-one, requiring no help. Very hard to do. IMO not a strength of UConn. Another answer is to give no help, staying with your man and whatever happens with the drive happens and shooters are not left open. You could also develop some funky rotations defensively, which I think the pros do a lot.
When I coached HS, we would spend an hour on straight up D, help, and close out on shooters. Over and over.

Reaction Score

From behind the arc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom