3 players who started didn't score | The Boneyard

3 players who started didn't score

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Anderson is embarrassing. Why bother starting Whaley if you’re only gonna give him 5 mins. DO hasn’t discovered fire yet so no wonder he hasn’t developed an offensive move in 5 years of college basketball.

Reaction Score
What was he thinking starting DO? No rebounds, no Points, 1 TO and 2 fouls (1st half).

I mean who on this Board would have started him against a highly ranked team. I hope the press asks Ollie that question. Also if we always start slow then perhaps put Vital out there and not AA.

Its like doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. That's UConn now.

Reaction Score
Wichita State vs. Connecticut - Box Score - December 30, 2017 - ESPN

I wonder if that has ever happened at UConn before. There's just not enough talent on this roster. After last season and what happened in the offseason we should have seen this coming.
I think most of us knew this was going to be a tough year but hopeful that Larrier Adams and Gilbert would come back and be solid. If im not mistaken Adams was hurt all summer with ankle issues and didn't work on his game either. Larrier and Gilbert just trying to be able to get on the court. The high expectations are surprising to me. Another reason I can't understand the lack of patience with Ollie by the fan base?

Reaction Score
Starters don't matter as much as how the minutes are given out. But it was a really dumb lineup- that grouping will never produce anything against good teams. It's 2 on 5.

DO played 5 minutes, Whaley played 14 mins, and Anderson played 32 mins. That's 51 minutes of player-time on the floor that produced zero points.

Onuorah and Whaley did not take any shots.

Their combined stat line was:

51 min, 0-3 FG, 0-3 3PT, 0-0 FT, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, and 2 turnovers. That's abysmal.

Reaction Score
I think most of us knew this was going to be a tough year but hopeful that Larrier Adams and Gilbert would come back and be solid. If im not mistaken Adams was hurt all summer with ankle issues and didn't work on his game either. Larrier and Gilbert just trying to be able to get on the court. The high expectations are surprising to me. Another reason I can't understand the lack of patience with Ollie by the fan base?

Maybe because KO failed to retain 4 other players who would have been getting meaningful minutes.

People act like it's someone else's fault we took guys like Onuorah, Whaley, Anderson, and Williams.

Reaction Score
Only 2 of 5 starters scored. Nothing surprises me anymore with this team.

Reaction Score
these posts make no sense. it's not like Ollie is given players and then has to make it work. Recruiting and retaining talent is half the job.

Reaction Score

Because he is responsible for the mess we have seen for the past 4 seasons. I am pretty sure that's why the fanbase is out of patience.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Maybe because KO failed to retain 4 other players who would have been getting meaningful minutes.

People act like it's someone else's fault we took guys like Onuorah, Whaley, Anderson, and Williams.

We needed Anderson no matter what. I think he'd be OK as a 5th guard, which if MAL was here, and Gilbert wasn't hurt, he would be. But what he's being asked to do now (by necessity) is well beyond his pay grade.

The (lack) of guard recruiting was mind boggling.

Reaction Score
We needed Anderson no matter what. I think he'd be OK as a 5th guard, which if MAL was here, and Gilbert wasn't hurt, he would be. But what he's being asked to do now (by necessity) is well beyond his pay grade.

The only true 2 guards Ollie has brought in were Purvis and Calhoun. That's what's mind boggling

Reaction Score
Starters went 14/43 and like 0/8 from 3
That's true for 99% of the cases. But with our slow starts and lack of production we are the exception. We need points immediately to compete, and to stop spotting opponents 5-7 points.

Also start players who are not turnover prone which also adds to our initial deficit.

Tall task for sure. It's like we're losing before the game even starts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What was he thinking starting DO? No rebounds, no Points, 1 TO and 2 fouls (1st half).

I mean who on this Board would have started him against a highly ranked team. I hope the press asks Ollie that question. Also if we always start slow then perhaps put Vital out there and not AA.

Its like doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. That's UConn now.[/QUOT
I was thinking the same also Anderson is a VERY small player who brings little. He was supposed to hit the 3 and create right?

Reaction Score
Late second half Anderson is on the floor doing nothing and Whaley is on the bench. At least Whaley can be a factor on D and rebounding and is quicker in general than Anderson. This means Jalen would have to step up and run the team which he seems to try to avoid doing. Diarra also was lost on the bench while Carlton who clearly needs strength and quickness training was being abused on the court and wasted a key offensive possession trying to make a post move while everyone else watched. We have no leader on the court or bench.

Reaction Score

Adams wasnt hurt all summer.

Reaction Score
Anderson is embarrassing. Why bother starting Whaley if you’re only gonna give him 5 mins. DO hasn’t discovered fire yet so no wonder he hasn’t developed an offensive move in 5 years of college basketball.

Word I hear is Whaley busts his ass in practice. Earned the start. Just still weak game play

Reaction Score

Wow, it’s really scary when you list out the 4 names who replaced Vance, MAL, Durham and Enoch. Imagine if they had been developed and retained what those 4 could have been producing now instead of the collective sack of nothing you just listed.

Reaction Score

We knew Anderson was a last minute reach who was supposed to be the 5th guard. But then after playing well against a cupcake, KO said Anderson had a shot to play in the NBA. Says a lot about KO’s talent evaluation skills.

Reaction Score
You must be Jalen Ollie or Boo Willingham. Anyone else doesn’t make sense

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom