3 Options | The Boneyard

3 Options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

1) The "We Are Screwed"

UConn ends up exactly where it is in the Big East. We add Conference USA teams, Baylor, Iowa State (and the Kansas schools if we are lucky). We may keep BCS status, but the TV money is nothing and our prestige dwindles with the conference. Football is never really able to expand The Rent to 65,000.

2) The "Very Happy" Option

Texas and ND decide to take their talents somewhere other than the ACC and UConn heads to the ACC, putting us in a division of UConn, Cuse, Pitt, MD, BCU, Virginia, Va Tech, +1. We are in a top conference that keeps BCS status, there is a lot of money in an enormous TV deal, and we get natural rivalries.

3) The "Holy Grail" Option

This seems the most unlikely, but fear from the B1G could allow it to happen. We end up getting snatched up by the B1G. This conference makes by far more money than the ACC, the academic prestige of the schools is significantly higher (minus Duke and UNC), and it has incredible football, where the big money lies. Our basketball would not take a hit as we get to play Izzo and Ohio State every year. We open up more recruiting in the heartland of the USA. Still, the biggest thing is that the $$$ in this conference is extraordinary. If we get the B1G invite, we take it and run ASAP.

Either Option 2 or 3 would be extremely positive for the University. Having met Herbst, understanding her background, and her propensity to get things done, I do have faith. However, the place we stand currently is a bit scary and up in the air.

Reaction Score
Good post. Let's hope president Herbst make it happen soon. We just want a stable home going forward.

Reaction Score
Option #3 will happen........you will be invited to the Big Ten along with Notre Dame, Rutgers and Missouri.

Reaction Score
Good post. Let's hope president Herbst make it happen soon. We just want a stable home going forward.
Anyone know if Herbst would be the first female college president in the Big Ten? Hmmm...just a thought, and she is highly respected.

Reaction Score
Could the Big 10 be quietly pushing for Kansas? Great school, great basketball tradition, football is bad now but only a few years back from a Orange Bowl win. And it makes geographical sense if they try to add Missouri too (KC/STL is collectively a really big market and Kansas/Mizzou have a fierce, longtime rivalry.

I'd be a little concerned about the Kansas/Missouri duo if that's what UConn/Rutgers are competing with.

Reaction Score
1) The "We Are Screwed"

UConn ends up exactly where it is in the Big East. We add Conference USA teams, Baylor, Iowa State (and the Kansas schools if we are lucky). We may keep BCS status, but the TV money is nothing and our prestige dwindles with the conference. Football is never really able to expand The Rent to 65,000.

2) The "Very Happy" Option

Texas and ND decide to take their talents somewhere other than the ACC and UConn heads to the ACC, putting us in a division of UConn, Cuse, Pitt, MD, BCU, Virginia, Va Tech, +1. We are in a top conference that keeps BCS status, there is a lot of money in an enormous TV deal, and we get natural rivalries.

3) The "Holy Grail" Option

This seems the most unlikely, but fear from the B1G could allow it to happen. We end up getting snatched up by the B1G. This conference makes by far more money than the ACC, the academic prestige of the schools is significantly higher (minus Duke and UNC), and it has incredible football, where the big money lies. Our basketball would not take a hit as we get to play Izzo and Ohio State every year. We open up more recruiting in the heartland of the USA. Still, the biggest thing is that the $$$ in this conference is extraordinary. If we get the B1G invite, we take it and run ASAP.

Either Option 2 or 3 would be extremely positive for the University. Having met Herbst, understanding her background, and her propensity to get things done, I do have faith. However, the place we stand currently is a bit scary and up in the air.

Someone please explain the "academic prestige" argument? The AAU doesn't cut it for me. Enrollment, research, public universities?

if you compare the ACC to the Big 10 in terms of rankings, ACC wins hands down.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I'd be a little concerned about the Kansas/Missouri duo if that's what UConn/Rutgers are competing with.

Not if Notre Dame is involved. Notre Dame needs to keep their Northeatern presence.

Reaction Score
Not if Notre Dame is involved. Notre Dame needs to keep their Northeatern presence.

So ND does not make a move without UCONN and Rutgers?? I doubt it. ND would like to limit the in-conference schedule so they can keep 1 northeast game and there other ooc favorites.

Reaction Score
I don't think UConn makes the B1G without Rutgers, and I don't know if the B1G has 2 spots for BE castoffs. I think some combination of Notre Dame, Iowa State, the Kansases, or Missouri are more likely. It really depends on whether the B1G gets freaked out or not.

Reaction Score
I don't think UConn makes the B1G without Rutgers, and I don't know if the B1G has 2 spots for BE castoffs. I think some combination of Notre Dame, Iowa State, the Kansases, or Missouri are more likely. It really depends on whether the B1G gets freaked out or not.

Iowa State gets nothing.......they are not in any realm of conversation.

Kansas and K-State will end up as SEC #15 and #16.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
As the merry-go-round continues, I think these are the two options for Uconn:

1. ACC - respected academically, excellent basketball programs, we can be competitive in football. Money will be good. I believe basketball will be an important factor in the decision for us. We are a basketball power house in both the men's and women's game. JC and JB of Syracuse are best of friends and that cannot be discounted. Geno has strong coaching ties with North Carolina and Duke. Not to be discounted. ACC also makes geographic sense. Plus many of our traditional rivalries remain intact.

2. Big 10 (12) - Big money for sure. Academics are excellent. But - can we compete in football and not be middle of the pack to cellar dwellers? Basketball is not as good as the present BE or the ACC. Is it a good geographic fit?

As to Notre Dame, the only sensible option for them is the Big 10 (12). The ACC is a terrible fit for ND, especially if they desire to remain independent in football.

I also believe that Uconn brings much more to the table than Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Could the Big 10 be quietly pushing for Kansas? Great school, great basketball tradition, football is bad now but only a few years back from a Orange Bowl win. And it makes geographical sense if they try to add Missouri too (KC/STL is collectively a really big market and Kansas/Mizzou have a fierce, longtime rivalry.

Here is the issue - population growth. It won't be happening in the mid-west. B1G would be wise to lock down the Northeast since the South East (SEC) and West (PAC-12 or PAC-16) are locked up, Therefore, we are a better fit for the B1G than Kansas. B1G might take Missouri though.

Reaction Score
As the merry-go-round continues, I think these are the two options for Uconn:

1. ACC - respected academically, excellent basketball programs, we can be competitive in football. Money will be good. I believe basketball will be an important factor in the decision for us. We are a basketball power house in both the men's and women's game. JC and JB of Syracuse are best of friends and that cannot be discounted. Geno has strong coaching ties with North Carolina and Duke. Not to be discounted. ACC also makes geographic sense. Plus many of our traditional rivalries remain intact.

2. Big 10 (12) - Big money for sure. Academics are excellent. But - can we compete in football and not be middle of the pack to cellar dwellers? Basketball is not as good as the present BE or the ACC. Is it a good geographic fit?

As to Notre Dame, the only sensible option for them is the Big 10 (12). The ACC is a terrible fit for ND, especially if they desire to remain independent in football.

I also believe that Uconn brings much more to the table than Rutgers.

ACC academics are better than Big 10 academics. Maybe the private/public comparison is what you are after, even so, ACC wins.

Reaction Score
i don't think the b1g is all that interested in having multiple northeastern pieces, they are at their core a mid-western league. in fact, i recall reading a credible article last year concerning their presumed interest in rutgers - that the school would provide a close, convenient platform to "serve" their NYC alumni base was essentially the only cause to come east.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom