3 Issues | The Boneyard

3 Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like to call it like I see it.

My prognostication coming into the season was that Sterling Gibbs would be our new"Kemba" not that he had to score 26 a game but that he could and was clearly a lead dog.

Uconn has three

issues right now--
1. Chemistry--there is no singular leader which I think is leading to some chemistry issues
2. Intensity--with our DEEP and talented roster--the motor has to always be on-aka Michigan State--we need that quickly and then stabilized. That includes all areas.
3. We need more ball movement

Reaction Score
I just have a feeling intensity will be somewhat of an issue going forward into league play. UConn came out flat tonight but thats to be expected. This game vs Sacred Heart was wedged between a trip to the Bahamas and a matchup vs a top 5 team at MSG. I got that feeling with the 2014 team at times, like the New Years Eve game at Houston, and when Harvard played them tough at Gampel that season.

Reaction Score
No leader has emerged yet. Amida is doing a good job as team leader, but we need an on-court leader. Gibbs seems reluctant due to newness and Jaylen has what it takes but seems to defer and is a year away, Hamilton seems soft spoken, Rodney who I thought would emerge hasn't, Omar can't lead from the bench, Miller is too new and gone after this year, SCJ looks like he wants to but is on the bench (check him out he is really trying to step up when on the court).

We've been spoiled after Kemba, Boat and Bazz and the other vocal guards before them. I suspect by January Ollie will be pushing Jaylen to the leadership role since its his team next year. Unless of course someone emerges before then.

btw: Alpha Dog is emerging and its DHam so that's one less concern.

Reaction Score
Jalen needs to take the lead. He doesn't need to be our best player, but he needs to lead. When that happens and he stops with the floaters and takes the ball to the rim, we'll blossom. I have a hard time seeing this team being elite without Jalen taking the controls. We are a big, gorgeous yacht with no Captain.

Reaction Score
I agree with what you stated above and in addition, I would like to see the team play consistent defense for the entire game. Especially the guards.

Reaction Score
Sterling is struggling with something, not sure what. Was okay last night but not aggressive at all, maybe trying to get back into it slowly after a rough Bahama's but too passive.

Jalen is special and will be eventually - anyone looking for him to jump in NOW isn't watching close. He's fine with where he is for now.

The way they came out last night was scary for a team who just lost 2. And it was everyone with DHam leading with a very weak effort on the D end. We talk about Rodney and his defense well he also got lost a few times early then figured it out. Can't happen, this team needs to live off of each others passion and that first 10 minutes was puzzling.

Wish they had another cupcake before next Tuesday because there are some things to iron out-guess it will be practice, better be. Because right now that team won't be o the court long with UM. Wake up call?

Reaction Score
Sterling is struggling with something, not sure what. Was okay last night but not aggressive at all, maybe trying to get back into it slowly after a rough Bahama's but too passive.

Jalen is special and will be eventually - anyone looking for him to jump in NOW isn't watching close. He's fine with where he is for now.

The way they came out last night was scary for a team who just lost 2. And it was everyone with DHam leading with a very weak effort on the D end. We talk about Rodney and his defense well he also got lost a few times early then figured it out. Can't happen, this team needs to live off of each others passion and that first 10 minutes was puzzling.

Wish they had another cupcake before next Tuesday because there are some things to iron out-guess it will be practice, better be. Because right now that team won't be o the court long with UM. Wake up call?

Agreed with Sterling, there was a specific play last night where he made his move to the hoop around 3 defenders and made it look like cake. I know sometimes a player telegraphs his route and every few tries he will luck into the right route, but it just seems to me that when he wants to he can wow the crowd with a driving move, he just doesn't try it too much. I think maybe he's still getting used to a new coach, system, and teammates. I hope that's the case at least, since he and Jalen have shown drives that wowed me, I want to see that wayyy more often

Reaction Score
Agreed with Sterling, there was a specific play last night where he made his move to the hoop around 3 defenders and made it look like cake. I know sometimes a player telegraphs his route and every few tries he will luck into the right route, but it just seems to me that when he wants to he can wow the crowd with a driving move, he just doesn't try it too much. I think maybe he's still getting used to a new coach, system, and teammates. I hope that's the case at least, since he and Jalen have shown drives that wowed me, I want to see that wayyy more often

Want to see THEM together way more often at some point. I believe they could drive teams nuts just need to find the chemistry which isn't as easy as people would like to believe.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Remember that game when everybody hit their threes? WTF happened since then? Yeah, it was against Mother Mary's Orphanage or something, but an open three is an open three, and we are missing way, way too many of them.

That's the ball movement we need to develop. The kind where the ball moves through the net.

Reaction Score
Jalen is in the best hands he could be in college sports. Add to that his practice teammates.

No need for fans to push his development. He's on pace to be an AA in a couple of years and we can then marvel at what Ollie has done.

Reaction Score
Sterling may be one of those guys who feeds off his shot. When it's on, all parts of his game click. When it's off, the rest of his game suffers. But all the skills are there.

And there is something else. This is a experienced team. But it is a new group of players. Gibbs, Miller and Jalen are all in their first year of UConn basketball. Hamilton and Purvis are very aggressive players. The five haven't blended yet. Gibbs, Jalen and Hamilton need the ball. Who gets it when needs to be figured out.

Right now the parts are add up to less than the sum. When the team becomes greater than the sum of its parts....it will be sum team.

Reaction Score
Not much can be learned from last night's game against that level of competition. Brimah played well but he was getting rebounds and put backs against guys who resembled a CYO team. 2 plays stand out. Omar got the ball on the baseline, drove to the rack and forced an ugly shot, could've pulled up. At his size he does give us a defensive plus but on offense not much, so can you put him out there? Enoch had a beautiful left handed baby hook for what it's worth.
Adams does good things. It doesn't matter if he starts as long as he plays a lot against Maryland. Since all of our guards are making an effort to drive the ball in, there are going to be a bunch of missed shots inside so rebounding and put backs are key. That is not an AB strength. One shot and done. Gotta make 3's. The team that fights and works the hardest will win, I'm with KO on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom