3 games at Mohegan Sun/ impressions in a nutshell | The Boneyard

3 games at Mohegan Sun/ impressions in a nutshell

Reaction Score
Game one was not competitive, UCLA was too strong and tall,Kiki Rice was impressive , don’t see UCLA remaining a top 5 team.

Game two, Pilli should have been awarded player of the game. SC is very good, but not undefeatable, vulnerable to strong outside shooting.

Game 3, Paige. The most complete player in WNCAA Basketball.

Also, Mohegan Sun as a whole, their staff very friendly and professional.

Reaction Score
Game one was not competitive, UCLA was too strong and tall,Kiki Rice was impressive , don’t see UCLA remaining a top 5 team.

Game two, Pilli should have been awarded player of the game. SC is very good, but not undefeatable, vulnerable to strong outside shooting.

Game 3, Paige. The most complete player in WNCAA Basketball.

Also, Mohegan Sun as a whole, their staff very friendly and professional.
That’s a lot of bball. Good for you…

Reaction Score
What did you see that made you believe that UCLA will not remain a Top five team? I saw the opposite; a team that looked like the best of the six. Right now, I would bet on UCLA beating SC.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Just to be clear: you do NOT see UCLA staying in the top 5?
What part of their game will eventually drop them?

Reaction Score
Only my impression,but UCLA played the weakest team, a very undersized team. The speedy guards were able to drive to the basket often. All in all FSU shooting seemed poor in this game.
Not saying UCLA isn’t well coached and a good team, aside from Kiki Rice I don’t think there is much speed.

Reaction Score
Just to be clear: you do NOT see UCLA staying in the top 5?
What part of their game will eventually drop them?
Alternatively, what five teams might displace them?

If asked that question I’d venture South Carolina, NC State, Texas, Stanford and perhaps LSU. Still a lot of games to play starting with the Bruins at Ohio State next Monday. A true road game against a #11/12 team will suggest to us whether UCLA is indeed top five.

Reaction Score
Only my impression,but UCLA played the weakest team, a very undersized team. The speedy guards were able to drive to the basket often. All in all FSU shooting seemed poor in this game.
Not saying UCLA isn’t well coached and a good team, aside from Kiki Rice I don’t think there is much speed.
Osborne, Jones, Jaquez and Brown all possess speed.

Reaction Score
I don’t insist that I’m correct. Just an impression during a daylong women’s basketball extravaganza.
Time will tell. The season is young.

Reaction Score
South Carolina and UCLA both look like national title contenders
Both teams seemed a little loose with the ball and at times forgot about their 6-7 center
If I had to choose between the two as to who I thought I had the best chance at national title, I think I would go with UCLA as their guards. Rice in Osborne might be a bit better.

sun

Reaction Score
I thought that UCLA was being over-rated in pre-season, but then seeing how Betts, Kiki & Osborn were such able scorers when they played UConn pretty much dispelled that notion.
Any team can be challenged but Betts seems to be a real difference maker that can keep them highly ranked.
Without Betts they could sink.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I too was at all three games and while I agree that FSU may have been the weakest of the 6 teams (emphasis on “may” as I do think NC is a bit over rated) I ABSOLUTELY think UCLA is and will remain a top 5 team. They have balance, depth and will get a starter back at some point (Sontag) so despite my reservations on Cori as an “x’s and o’s” coach, this team is a contender.

As you seem to doubt this, name 4 other teams along with SC who are better than UCLA?

Reaction Score
I don’t insist that I’m correct. Just an impression during a daylong women’s basketball extravaganza.
Time will tell. The season is young.
You are absolutely right: you offered an opinion.

Go with it and enjoy the season…

Reaction Score
South Carolina and UCLA both look like national title contenders
Both teams seemed a little loose with the ball and at times forgot about their 6-7 center
If I had to choose between the two as to who I thought I had the best chance at national title, I think I would go with UCLA as their guards. Rice in Osborne might be a bit better.
I think that South Carolina is still the most complete team with UCLA a close second. Though Pilli scored heavily in that game, She is a unique player that gives teams nightmares. On the other hand, SC held the nation's top scoring team and best three point shooting team well under their scoring average and well under their 3pt shooting percentage, this with an uncharacteristic 7 fouls being called on their post players on while they were on offense. That long bench and the improved shooting will be a tall task for any team to overcome. Not saying it is impossible, but at this point unlikely

Reaction Score
That speedy guard on FSU is one of the best players in the country. Nobody can stop her.

Reaction Score
Alternatively, what five teams might displace them?

If asked that question I’d venture South Carolina, NC State, Texas, Stanford and perhaps LSU. Still a lot of games to play starting with the Bruins at Ohio State next Monday. A true road game against a #11/12 team will suggest to us whether UCLA is indeed top five.
But UCLA, for once, has a legitimate BIG in Lauren Betts. Add in KIKI Rice and a great freshman or two, and they could have staying power.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought all 6 teams showed some good things. UCLA scored inside at will before FSU started to double her. Then they hit a bunch of threes, especially Jones. Kiki is very versatile. FSU is athletic, but small.

Utah really impressed me, especially Pili. She and Sarah Strong seem similar to me. They will miss Kneepkens in some close games this year. South Carolina looked good, but not unbeatable. Fulwiley did not play all that much, but the team seemed considerably better when she was on the floor. They pushed the tempo and shot the ball better with her.

UNC had some good players, but no answer for Paige. I though she was the best player at the event, with Pili a close second. Latson impressed once again.

Reaction Score
I have revised my opinion on UCLA. I felt that Rice and Osborne’s mediocre shooting would reduce the impact of Betts but it looks like Betts’ dominance in the post (she has been a revelation) has helped the two star guards to be more selective, to take better shots which has resulted in a better percentage for both players. Rice has also stepped the rest of her game up and is showing that her ranking was correct. They are a real threat even with a coach that I too regard as less than impressive.

Reaction Score
I think that South Carolina is still the most complete team with UCLA a close second. Though Pilli scored heavily in that game, She is a unique player that gives teams nightmares. On the other hand, SC held the nation's top scoring team and best three point shooting team well under their scoring average and well under their 3pt shooting percentage, this with an uncharacteristic 7 fouls being called on their post players on while they were on offense. That long bench and the improved shooting will be a tall task for any team to overcome. Not saying it is impossible, but at this point unlikely
Utah was without their second best player and she is gone for the season. Kneepkens averaged 15 pt a game last year.

Reaction Score
I thought all 6 teams showed some good things. UCLA scored inside at will before FSU started to double her. Then they hit a bunch of threes, especially Jones. Kiki is very versatile. FSU is athletic, but small.

Utah really impressed me, especially Pili. She and Sarah Strong seem similar to me. They will miss Kneepkens in some close games this year. South Carolina looked good, but not unbeatable. Fulwiley did not play all that much, but the team seemed considerably better when she was on the floor. They pushed the tempo and shot the ball better with her.

UNC had some good players, but no answer for Paige. I though she was the best player at the event, with Pili a close second. Latson impressed once again.
Paige may have been the best player at the event but hard to argus that Pilli did not put on the best performance

Reaction Score
After spending 7 hours sitting on my butt, I thought the first 2 games were competitive and entertaining. That Pilli was a faster, more athletic and skillful version of Kaili McLaren. Almost unstoppable. What tats! She gave the artist a lot of square inches to work with (meant in a nice way).

Reaction Score
Utah was without their second best player and she is gone for the season. Kneepkens averaged 15 pt a game last year.
I don't believe that matters as South Carolina 3pt % defense is #1 in the nation and may have redistributed points but looking at the way they shut down all of the other shooters, I suspect the result would have still been the same. The real kicker is as young as SC is that defense will only get better as the year goes on as they continue to grow up, and differently from years past, SC has a stellar offense to go with that defense.

Reaction Score
I don't believe that matters as South Carolina 3pt % defense is #1 in the nation and may have redistributed points but looking at the way they shut down all of the other shooters, I suspect the result would have still been the same. The real kicker is as young as SC is that defense will only get better as the year goes on as they continue to grow up, and differently from years past, SC has a stellar offense to go with that defense.
I would say better but not stellar offense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom