3/6 Bubble Action | The Boneyard

3/6 Bubble Action

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I counted five games with bubble implications:

Noon: Uconn vs. DePaul - no explanation needed.
7 pm: GW vs. Dayton - A loss definitely would eliminate Dayton
7 pm: Providence vs. Seton Hall - A loss almost certainly would eliminate Seton Hall
7 pm: Charlotte vs. St. Joe's - A loss definitely would eliminate St. Joe's
7:30 pm: Penn vs. Princeton - A Princeton win ensures Ivy is a one-bid league

Basically, the bubble teams that play today are just trying to avoid crippling losses.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Interestingly, I think a UConn win locks up a bid for both UConn and WVU. UConn and WVU just have to avoid bad losses at this point, so if Depaul is gone, WVU can't have a bad loss before Selection Sunday.

A team that is going to get penalized for not having an easy first round game is Texas. Iowa State is hot right now, and Texas could really just use another win. Texas loses that game, they are probably out.

Reaction Score
Interestingly, I think a UConn win locks up a bid for both UConn and WVU. UConn and WVU just have to avoid bad losses at this point, so if Depaul is gone, WVU can't have a bad loss before Selection Sunday.

A team that is going to get penalized for not having an easy first round game is Texas. Iowa State is hot right now, and Texas could really just use another win. Texas loses that game, they are probably out.

Northwestern has a tricky first round game as well against a decent Minnesota team. Miami and NC State are in the same boat as the teams playing tonight - they play lousy ACC teams in the first round so they have to win 2 games to enhance their resumes.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Miami and NC State have really thin resumes though. If all the bubble teams just win their first round game and then lose, Miami and NC State are the ones on the outside.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
UConn will likely squeeze in. A loss to WVU doesn't insult the committee. Obviously the game winner feels safe and a 5/12 game isn't all that bad.

Reaction Score
I think the odds with a loss tomorrow are over 50% of getting in and less than 75%. With a win tomorrow and a loss to Syracuse, the odds of being in the tourney are well over 90?

If we beat WV and Syracuse, then we're discussing how high we can go in the seedings.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is no realistic scenario where 10 of the following teams pass UConn:

Miami
Washington
Texas
Seton Hall
Virginia
Mississippi State
Dayton
USF
Northwestern
Xavier
Miami
Oregon
Ole Miss
NC State
St. Joe's
Iona
West Virginia

Those 17 teams are fighting for 10 slots, and all of them are behind UConn right now. These is no way that 10 of these teams pull ahead of UConn between now and Selection Sunday. I would be surprised if more than 3 non-Pac 12 teams on this list even made their conference semis. Washington and Oregon would have to play each other for the Pac 12 title to both make the Dance, and even then, no guarantees.

UConn is all but a lock. It doesn't matter what BLawyer's, or anybody else's, opinion is of UConn's resume is. In fact, I don't even care what the Selection Committee thinks of it in absolute terms. All that matters is how it compares to the other teams on this list. UConn has the best RPI, most Top 50 wins, and will make the dance.

Reaction Score
RPI

Miami 54
Washington 53
Texas 52
Seton Hall 60
Virginia 42
Mississippi State 63
Dayton 72
USF 45
Northwestern 48
Xavier 57
Miami 54
Oregon 50
Ole Miss 59
NC State 56
St. Joe's 55
Iona 43
West Virginia 44

I think anyone 50 or above has to win multiple games, Ole Miss. SHU, and Miss. St. need to make at least the semi's. When you look at this, if UConn (34) can extend this at least to SU, they might be a 4 or 5 seed.
Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
RPI

Miami 54
Washington 53
Texas 52
Seton Hall 60
Virginia 42
Mississippi State 63
Dayton 72
USF 45
Northwestern 48
Xavier 57
Miami 54
Oregon 50
Ole Miss 59
NC State 56
St. Joe's 55
Iona 43
West Virginia 44

I think anyone 50 or above has to win multiple games, Ole Miss. SHU, and Miss. St. need to make at least the semi's. When you look at this, if UConn (34) can extend this at least to SU, they might be a 4 or 5 seed.
Go Huskies!
They would only be a 4 or 5 if they won the whole damn thing.

If they lose the next game, they'll likely be a 10-11
If they beat WVU and lose to Syracuse, they'll likely be 7-9.
If they beat Cuse and lose in the semis, they'll be a 6-7.
If they get to the Finals and lose, they'll be a 5-6
If they win the whole thing, they'll be a 4-5.

Reaction Score
They would only be a 4 or 5 if they won the whole damn thing.

If they lose the next game, they'll likely be a 10-11
If they beat WVU and lose to Syracuse, they'll likely be 7-9.
If they beat Cuse and lose in the semis, they'll be a 6-7.
If they get to the Finals and lose, they'll be a 5-6
If they win the whole thing, they'll be a 4-5.

You think so? Last year they won it all and were a three- why would they be a 4-5 if they did the same this year. They would have a six game win streak, better than most BCS schools in the tourney.

Reaction Score
You think so? Last year they won it all and were a three- why would they be a 4-5 if they did the same this year. They would have a six game win streak, better than most BCS schools in the tourney.
Quality wins and bad losses. Last year, UConn more RPI wins, a better RPI in general, and didn't have any bad losses.

This year's best win is Florida State, and they have two sub-200 wins.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall looks scared tless right now in their game versus Providence. Chucking up horrible shots, not even grabbing the rim.

9-0 early on.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Based on RPI (34) There are 21 teams ahead of UConn. 12 of the teams either secured auto-bids or are enroute and lead their conferences. A win tomorrow helps the eye test

UConn is the only top 40 RPI team with a losing conference record. UConn and Colorado State are the only teams lacking 20 wins. Colorado State is likely to play iself out of the of the tourney.

Still a WVU win is a lock. With Hathaway there........

caw

Reaction Score
Seems Princeton is the only team helping the bubble so far.

Reaction Score
Providence reminding everybody that they're Providence. When is the last time these guys won a BE tournament game? It seems like they get blown out in the first round every year...

Reaction Score
Well, another bid kept safe with Princeton winning.

The Dayton / Xavier match will get rid of one team. I think Xavier is closer to getting in, so I'm pulling for Dayton tomorrow.

St. Joes has a winnable game against St. Bonaventure.

Reaction Score
The fact that Saint Joe's is on the bubble makes me feel relatively safe. Temple and Creighton are their two Top 50 wins. They are 6-9 against the Top 100, and have 3 sub-100 losses.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Based on RPI (34) There are 21 teams ahead of UConn. 12 of the teams either secured auto-bids or are enroute and lead their conferences. A win tomorrow helps the eye test

UConn is the only top 40 RPI team with a losing conference record. UConn and Colorado State are the only teams lacking 20 wins. Colorado State is likely to play iself out of the of the tourney.

Still a WVU win is a lock. With Hathaway there........

There is no way Colorado State doesn't make the NCAA Tournament.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
A Nova win tonight and the 4 lowest RPI teams are out. The rest are impressive--no one else touches the top 12 in the BE for RPI, Pitt(95) and Nova(118) are the only two teams in the top 12 not in the NCAA discussion and the only two with an RPI over 70.

caw

Reaction Score
So two teams UConn has beaten this year won their conferences' automatic bids so far in UNC-Asheville and Harvard. Any other teams UConn has beaten going to? I wouldn't bet on it. No Big East team of course, because UConn doesn't play UConn. Fairfield missed their shot. Wagner as well. I guess FSU has the best shot.

Reaction Score
Would take a perfect storm for UConn not to get in I think. However, I am a little worried about this undercurrent of support for letting in mid majors who dominate the regular season but lose in the post season tourney. I'd prefer to just win tomorrow and make it certain.

Reaction Score
tznandrew's breakdown is probably somewhere in the ballpark. The difference last year is they had a lot of OOC and conference signature wins. Their 5 Ws in 5 Days over a bunch of tournament teams validated how good some thought UConn really was or at least could be. Well in the end their seeding turned out to be higher (as is worse) than it should have been.

As for this season, the team really doesn't have many signature wins. The only ranked teams they beat all season long was FSU (#20 at the time), Harvard (#24) and ND (not ranked at the time but now ranked #23). They just won back-to-back games for the first time since mid January and haven't won 3 in a row since December. Now I realize that we have a very high RPI due to having the the #3 SOS in the nation. Based on past selection committees, teams with RPIs as high as UConn #34, usually get in. Most years we'd be still sweating our bid out, but the field this year is simply really really bad. The bubble is huge and weak. Let's just hope the committee doesn't jump on board the Husky Haters Bandwagon and sour on UConn when they see that inability to win back-to-back games for over the past month plus, a 6-11 record in their last 17 regular season games and not one of their 6 wins during that stretch were against ranked teams (well the ND W was during that stretch but the weren't ranked at the time). What probably helps is all the close Ls during that stretch, 6 by 4 or less points.

Win tomorrow against WVU and we won't have to worry about not getting in. Beat WVU, I'm still not going to feel all that confident that this team can string many NCAA Ws together. Beat SU, then my confidence will to through the roof. It's not that our Huskies don't have talent. They have a lot of talented players. It's they just haven't played well as a team or executed well on either end of the floor. But all this can change if they can string together 3 to 5 BET Ws. Win 3, and a S-16, depending on what seed and match-up they they get, is not that crazy. Win 4, I can become an E-8 begins believer. Win 5 BET games in a row, plus the memories of last year's 11 game run, and I'm looking for -4 and beyond bandwagon.

I'd like say I believe in the latter part of that last paragraph, but I'm finding it hard to shake the memories of the past couple months and some of the bad habits I still saw them doing in the DePaul game.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Well, another bid kept safe with Princeton winning.

The Dayton / Xavier match will get rid of one team. I think Xavier is closer to getting in, so I'm pulling for Dayton tomorrow.

St. Joes has a winnable game against St. Bonaventure.

St. Joe's has to play in the A10 title game to even be considered. Xavier is probably already in. Their losses during the suspensions will not count for much against them. Dayton is interesting because they have a bunch of good wins and have a good resume in almost every way except their 73 RPI, which is terrible.

UConn is safe in anything short of a perfect storm (Oregon vs. Washington Pac 12 final, Marshall wins CUSA, St. Joe's wins A10, AND Miami and Texas make conference semis or finals).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UConn is in. Unfortunately, I think WVU is in too. I wish they would go to the NIT, but they got the RPI and resume to get in the dance.

caw

Reaction Score
I suddenly care a whole lot less about the bubble. :-p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members