3-4-4 Defense | The Boneyard

3-4-4 Defense

C

Chief00

Gentlemen, we are going to the 3-4-4 defense next season. Take it from Chief.

Chief can break news in both sports!

C

Chief00

with all that talent and depth at linebacker makes sense

That’s what I don’t get either unless they move some guys around.
Pencil in Harris and Jones. Who’s the other two?

Reaction Score
If so, count on one of the LBs still carrying the Husky LB tag (which other programs would look at as a safety in the box) so it’s basically back to a 3-3-5. With most of the players having a year of experience and a spring practice under their belt, hopefully they’ll do better than under Crocker. Otherwise RE will have them back in a 4-3 by mid-season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
x-y-z doesn't matter (to me). Could be 11-0-0 and we still won't pressure the QB. We're thin at ALL defensive positions.
DC Spanos has a lot of work to do.

Reaction Score
with all that talent and depth at linebacker makes sense

Lol! Seriously, it’s exactly the point. Jones and Harris are big guys and maybe they can handle the inside, but we have nothing on the outside in terms of size or speed.

C

Chief00

So we're committing to no run defense and giving opposing QBs all day to find receivers. Love it.

I wouldn’t assume the no rush - one can argue it gives you more angles to rush the passers and confusion for the OL since there is more uncertainty.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t assume the no rush - one can argue it gives you more angles to rush the passers and confusion for the OL since there is more uncertainty.

If there's talent at LB and unpredictability, there are certainly options. And I'd almost put more stress on the latter. We don't have an Aaron Donald to occupy a couple of OLs. Blitzing/rushing LBs or safeties doesn't help when the other team knows it's coming. And I don't have a ton of confidence there. Meaning a decent QB will find an open guy once they recognize the package - which I fear will be far too often. I really hope I'm wrong.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
So we're committing to no run defense and giving opposing QBs all day to find receivers. Love it.

Just wait until our DBs line up 15 yards off the LOS in a soft zone.

But hey, if we can make opposing offenses run 3+ plays before scoring a touchdown next season, it will be a pretty sizable improvement from 2018.

Reaction Score
We definitely have the front to employ a 3-4-4 and Harris and Jones will bring physicality in the middle. But holy cow, where on earth are we going to find outside linebackers? Especially ones that can rush the passer?

Until we can generate pressure on the qb, this defense is going to be horrendous.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
No I’m pretty sure I read here that the reason we were outmatched and couldn’t tackle last year was solely because of the 3-3-5. Thankfully our nightmare is over the 3-4-4 will Make Defense Great Again.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The idea we are going to a 3-4-4 is supported by i) Spanos’ comments that he wants to have three down lineman and a rover DE (to create and exploit mismatches and add confusion) and II) our DL recruiting which seems to have prized long armed 6’5 ish DL recruits over the the more compact sub 6’3 dudes.

No idea how it really plays out, but Travis Jones gives you a nose tackle while Devaughn, Uguak, Woods, and Watts gives you edge guys. We also have Thomas and Fines for back up nose tackles. Not sure which way Pace develops; more edge or more of an interior guy. And then you have Moore who I could see developing a few different ways, as the rover DE or even an MLB.

Reaction Score
The idea we are going to a 3-4-4 is supported by i) Spanos’ comments that he wants to have three down lineman and a rover DE (to create and exploit mismatches and add confusion)...

Yup.... from Wednesday:

>>Coach Randy Edsall said last week that UConn will try out a new defense featuring three down linemen and a “rover," who will rush the quarterback from various positions. Spring ball will offer a glimpse at how that scheme will work and which players will fill which roles.<<

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I prefer a 4–3-3 with a high press and a true striker instead of a False 9.

Completely disagree about the one true striker. O'Neil Robinson is definitely a trequartista...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The idea we are going to a 3-4-4 is supported by i) Spanos’ comments that he wants to have three down lineman and a rover DE (to create and exploit mismatches and add confusion) and II) our DL recruiting which seems to have prized long armed 6’5 ish DL recruits over the the more compact sub 6’3 dudes.

No idea how it really plays out, but Travis Jones gives you a nose tackle while Devaughn, Uguak, Woods, and Watts gives you edge guys. We also have Thomas and Fines for back up nose tackles. Not sure which way Pace develops; more edge or more of an interior guy. And then you have Moore who I could see developing a few different ways, as the rover DE or even an MLB.

I don't know enough about the 3-4-4, but it sounds like it morphs into a 4-3 anyways, depending on how often you rush that rover DE...

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
So a 4-3 then, except with only one pass rusher.

C

Chief00

I know the players call it a 3-4-4, how it actually gets implemented will be interesting. The idea is to have the rush angles less predictable. Travis will be almost guaranteed to be double again for much of the season. From what I am told the key guys they hope to free up on the runs and short stuff are LB’s Harris and Jones.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul