3-3-2-2-1 | The Boneyard

3-3-2-2-1

Reaction Score
The Big Ten and SEC are now pushing for a 14 team CFP with THREE automatic bids for their two conferences, 2 for the ACC and B12, and one for the G5, with first round byes for the B1G and SEC champions. According to CBS.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I actually kind of like the format. The other part of the plan is to give ND an auto bid if they finish in the top 14 of the CFP standings, which is fine with me.

There would still be three at-large slots. Not that this would happen anytime soon, but say we go 12-0 in 2026 playing 5 P4 teams, I think we would have a legitimate argument to grab one of those slots.

Reaction Score
Why not just give an auto Bid to Notre Dame. College Football already bends over backwards to hand them everything else.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
It should be every conference champ gets an auto bid. Then the remaining highest ranked fill in the rest.
I disagree with this. College football is an elitist sport. The MAC had the option to drop down the FCS in the early 1980s. They chose not to. Just because you want to play at the highest level doesn't mean you have a guaranteed path to a title. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Reaction Score
Why not just a 32 team double elimination playoff. Then everybody would be happy. It can finish 1 week before the start of spring football. Since academics is no longer an issue + they are being paid , they certainly have the time.

Reaction Score
Just because you want to play at the highest level doesn't mean you have a guaranteed path to a title. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
This is the worst argument I've ever heard.

If a program is allowed by the sport to compete at the highest level, then they should have a shot to play for the title. You might as well destroy the NCAA Tournament as well by stocking it with P6 schools rather than conference champions. In no other major sport do teams competing in the same division just actively have no shot at a title.

It's a terrible decision driven by the worst factors. This proposal sucks and takes all the excitement I had for a college football tournament and flushes it down the toilet. Once again greed will ruin everything.

Reaction Score
I disagree with this. College football is an elitist sport. The MAC had the option to drop down the FCS in the early 1980s. They chose not to. Just because you want to play at the highest level doesn't mean you have a guaranteed path to a title. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Did the poster mean every P4 champ gets bye. That makes more sense.

Reaction Score
just let SEC and Big break away.
Reset the NCAA and create regional conferences and make college sports more competitive.

In 3-5 years after competing with NFL the BIG and SEC will become a less glorified UFL and money will start to dry up.

Reaction Score
The notion that anyone just gets more out of the box just because they think they are better without earning it is fundamentally anti-American. Equal access and opportunity is the only acceptable outcome. 32 teams selected by AP is the only legitimate solution.

Reaction Score
The notion that anyone just gets more out of the box just because they think they are better without earning it is fundamentally anti-American. Equal access and opportunity is the only acceptable outcome. 32 teams selected by AP is the only legitimate solution.
On the contrary, I would say there is nothing more American than the sense of entitlement. :D

Reaction Score
Go to 16 teams and get it over with. That's what all the other divisions have. It inevitable at some point, there is too much money on the table to ignore.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agree in principle, but I'm not confident this would actually help G5 teams

Reaction Score
A 41 team playoff is the way to go I have it all figured out.

Reaction Score
Go to 16 teams and get it over with. That's what all the other divisions have. It inevitable at some point, there is too much money on the table to ignore.
But if you're going to go to 16 schools—which, frankly, I'm fine with—I want there to be access for more than 1 G5 school. Otherwise, 12 is just.

Given the demise of the Pac, my preference would be 9 autobids—one for each conference champion—and then 7 selected schools. That's still going to be mostly B10 and SEC. That would be fair and make a boatload of money, along with an occasional Boise State upset.

Reaction Score
But if you're going to go to 16 schools—which, frankly, I'm fine with—I want there to be access for more than 1 G5 school. Otherwise, 12 is just.

Given the demise of the Pac, my preference would be 9 autobids—one for each conference champion—and then 7 selected schools. That's still going to be mostly B10 and SEC. That would be fair and make a boatload of money, along with an occasional Boise State upset.

What’s the point of Conference Championships at this point. Teams could play 3 times Over the course of a season.

Reaction Score
That model works at literally every other level including the NFL. FBS is the only one that doesn’t guarantee all conference champs a bid to the playoffs. Get rid of the bowls and just go to 16 or 24 like FCS

shizzle787

Reaction Score
That model works at literally every other level including the NFL. FBS is the only one that doesn’t guarantee all conference champs a bid to the playoffs. Get rid of the bowls and just go to 16 or 24 like FCS
In the NFL, 32 teams are partners with equal standing. That is not the case in the NCAA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom