3.0 Night - very impressive | The Boneyard

3.0 Night - very impressive

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Of the 12 players from fall semester, eight of them had a 3.0 gpa or above, with Dorka at 4.0!! As I was not a division 1-2-3 athlete, nor was I a (ahem) stellar student, I have immense respect for any student athlete trying to juggle all the demands of sports. It was interesting seeing all the other sports 3.0 athletes.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Dorka!

I'm an old guy and that brought a question to mind that has nothing to do with Dorka. . "Back in my day" a 4.0 was the penultimate GPA. When the world emerged out of those dark ages, I know that at least some schools grade allow grading that can be over 4.0. Have all schools changed or does it vary from one school to another? Majority? Minority? Not particularly asking about UConn, but just general.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Congrats to Dorka!

I'm an old guy and that brought a question to mind that has nothing to do with Dorka. . "Back in my day" a 4.0 was the penultimate GPA. When the world emerged out of those dark ages, I know that at least some schools grade allow grading that can be over 4.0. Have all schools changed or does it vary from one school to another? Majority? Minority? Not particularly asking about UConn, but just general.
Good question, as I went to a school where we didn't calculate GPA, and had three grades - Acceptable, Acceptable with Distinction, and No Record (AC, AD, NR). It went to A-B-C-NR after I graduated. The NR grade was a godsend for some that didn't quite grasp subjects in one term (7 weeks), so you could retake the course with no penalty. Let's just say there were quite a few of us that had NRs in courses and either got better, or changed majors. The downside is that there were still course credit milestones you had to reach each year, and if not, you got a not so friendly reminder from the administration.

The AC-AD system was difficult for some companies when recruiting, as they wanted to see a specific GPA. There might have been a corresponding GPA for each grade, maybe 4.0 and 2.75, however a student with mostly AC grades just missing out on AD would have a perceived "low" GPA. In concept, a great idea to take pressure off grades and focus on learning, however it didn't always match expectations vs other colleges.

Reaction Score
Of the 12 players from fall semester, eight of them had a 3.0 gpa or above, with Dorka at 4.0!! As I was not a division 1-2-3 athlete, nor was I a (ahem) stellar student, I have immense respect for any student athlete trying to juggle all the demands of sports. It was interesting seeing all the other sports 3.0 athletes.

This is not easy to do. My daughter made the Dean's list all but her freshman year. Had straight As her senior year. All while playing basketball and working. These girls get major props from me!

Reaction Score
Good question, as I went to a school where we didn't calculate GPA, and had three grades - Acceptable, Acceptable with Distinction, and No Record (AC, AD, NR). It went to A-B-C-NR after I graduated. The NR grade was a godsend for some that didn't quite grasp subjects in one term (7 weeks), so you could retake the course with no penalty. Let's just say there were quite a few of us that had NRs in courses and either got better, or changed majors. The downside is that there were still course credit milestones you had to reach each year, and if not, you got a not so friendly reminder from the administration.

The AC-AD system was difficult for some companies when recruiting, as they wanted to see a specific GPA. There might have been a corresponding GPA for each grade, maybe 4.0 and 2.75, however a student with mostly AC grades just missing out on AD would have a perceived "low" GPA. In concept, a great idea to take pressure off grades and focus on learning, however it didn't always match expectations vs other colleges.
My college was the same! A/B/C/NR, 7 week terms, and no GPA. I don’t suppose we share the same alma mater …? (I went to WPI.)

Reaction Score

I began during the time when guys were still being drafted, and SCar adopted a system of A, B, C (no D's) and no credit (NC). The NC didn't count for anything and was not a pass. Nor was a fail. Thus you could never flunk out and your GPA couldn't go below a 2.0. I was a lax student during my first couple of years and actually quit midway through my fourth semester. Withdraw? No because grades didn't matter.

Spring forward a decade later when I went back. No more active draft. All my NC's were added to my GPA as 0.00! Oh crap, less than a 2.0 total. I had to work my butt off for a 2-1/2 years with a 3.95 to get my total GPA up enough to be accepted by a decent law school. LSAT score helped. Whew.

Reaction Score
I don't think my father, a math teacher and ex-Marine, would have been intimidated by Nika. ;)

If you didn't make the grade, you didn't make the grade. However, he provided his students with every opportunity to be successful if they were willing to do the work. I suspect Nika would be one of those students.

Reaction Score
"Back in my day" a 4.0 was the penultimate GPA. When the world emerged out of those dark ages, I know that at least some schools grade allow grading that can be over 4.0. Have all schools changed or does it vary from one school to another? Majority? Minority? Not particularly asking about UConn, but just general.
These thing vary quite a bit, but at most schools 4.0 is the ultima. I can give kids A+ grades — and often give at least one per class — but it has no impact on the GPA. I use it just to let them know I know how awesome they are.

When I was a grad student, the undergrads at my school had successfully petitioned to do away with pluses and minuses in grading, a the ground that those were unfair. Don’t ask me how. Two years later, the undergrads petitioned again, this time to have the pluses restored. :D

Reaction Score
It would be interesting to know if there were any other Top10 teams that had their entire starting five at the 3.0 GPA level or above. Another indicator that Geno looks at the total woman in his recruiting assessment.

Reaction Score
It would be interesting to know if there were any other Top10 teams that had their entire starting five at the 3.0 GPA level or above. Another indicator that Geno looks at the total woman in his recruiting assessment.
I dont think we will know until March.

These were our SEC Academic Honor Roll Students (3.0) last March. (first year players, Kamilla was not eligible last year and Kierra won't be eligible this year.)

Laeticia Amihere - W Basketball - Sport and Entertainment Management

Brea Beal - W Basketball - Retailing

Aliyah Boston - W Basketball - Mass Communications

Zia Cooke - W Basketball - Mass Communications

LeLe Grissett - W Basketball - Non-Degree Seeking post graduate

Destanni Henderson - W Basketball - Criminology and Criminal Justice

Destiny Littleton - W Basketball - Non-Degree Seeking post graduate

Eniya Russell - W Basketball - Media Arts

Victaria Saxton - W Basketball - Criminology and Criminal Justice

Olivia Thompson - W Basketball - Psychology

Elysa Wesolek - W Basketball - Public Health

Reaction Score
Dorka earned a degree in Psychology at OSU with a 3.85 gpa, and she did it in just 3 years.
Is she in a masters program at UConn or just "non-degree seeking post graduate studies?"

Reactions: mmt
Reaction Score
Congrats to Dorka!

UConn allows professors to give an A+ in undergraduate courses but not graduate courses. It’s a personal preference as to whether a professor offers that option in their undergraduate course.

For Dorka to have a 4.0 at the graduate level, that would be A‘s in her courses.

There’s grade inflation overall which I suspect is part of why a professor might offer an A+ option.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
As the mom of two son, I disagree. My oldest was distinguished honors at WPI with degrees in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering
Techies in the house!

E to the X... D-Y, D-X
E to the X... D-X
Cosine, Secant, Tangent, Sine... 3.14159
E-I, Radical, Pi... Fight ’em, Fight ’em, WPI!

Reactions: mmt
Reaction Score
Great accomplishment for all the girls on the list. As a parent of college athlete I recognize just how much time the devote to their sport and conditioning. To have the discipline to do all that and excel in the classroom makes a parent and fan proud of the kids who entertain us in the name of their university.

Reaction Score
As the mom of two son, I disagree. My oldest was distinguished honors at WPI with degrees in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering
Well-yeah-but

If we keep it in the context of basketball I bet there is no comparison between wbb and mbb. Girls begin to focus on getting scholarships in middle school. So many mbb players never focus on scholarships . . .

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I don't think my father, a math teacher and ex-Marine, would have been intimidated by Nika. ;)
If you didn't make the grade, you didn't make the grade. However, he provided his students with every opportunity to be successful if they were willing to do the work. I suspect Nika would be one of those students.
I like your father!!!!!!!!!!
For the students' sake you don't want to submit to cajoling and/or coercion. I was a adjunct at two universities. Interestingly mostly the international students would individually or collectively attempt to cajole or coerce me at quarter's end for a better grades. They would threaten to leave the class en masse. I had to explain as an adjunct teaching was something I enjoyed; it was not the source of my income. I reminded them I held tutoring sessions every weekend. Where were they when I suggested they needed to attend? Any case why I taught was fortunately experienced several times. For one of several examples Jorge from Venezuela was most angry with me because he knew I had raised the grades of three other students who just missed by a point or two. But I refused to raise his grade which was 3 points shy of a C. Unmoved I explained he did not need help. I was certain he had a very high IQ. I told him he had a responsibility to achieve his potential. He cursed his way out the door saying he would never take any of my classes ever again.. Fast forward 1.5 years. I am taking role on the first day of this class. I stopped, looked up for eye contact with Jorge! At the break I told him I had not changed and hope he did. Well at quarter end he asked about his grade. I said "You know you have the best grade in the class." He smiled and thanked me for not giving into him like the other professors. Yes, he hated me for short period but eventually realized he was not realizing his mental gifts. Since our tête-à-tête he earned all A's. I could have floated home with a big smile and teary eyes. I achieved much in my business career but closing multimillion dollar deals never gave me the wonderful feeling I experienced when I was able the reach a student or an employee successfully. Just remembering Jorge has my eyes watering. Geez I miss it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Congrats to Dorka!
"Back in my day" a 4.0 was the penultimate GPA. When the world emerged out of those dark ages, I know that at least some schools grade allow grading that can be over 4.0.
I think you mean ultimate or highest. Penultimate is the one before the highest.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
As a proud father of girls, I tell them all the time and firmly believe it: Girls are smarter than Boys.
As the father of 3 brilliant sons and grandfather to 3 brilliant grandsons and 4 brilliant granddaughters I can say that brilliance and gender are unrelated, ( but they do get it from my wonderful wife, RIP). But you do have the right to be gender blind proud. And of course kudos to these UConn women. They put max effort into all they do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom