2nd Favorite Squad Besides UConn? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2nd Favorite Squad Besides UConn?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I always liked KU as well back in the day, even have some attire because of the Jayhawk emblem. But with Self admittedly hate them as he is scum. And I wasn't ever a Roy Williams fan either but didn't mind him as much as Self. Didn't mind Self as he first hit the Allen Fieldhouse bench either until he became who he is now, a cheatass! LOL but I respect your loyalty HH.
It's a great logo and team name if you know the history. Roy was coaching when I was there. By most accounts, Bill is a nicer guy. We were fortunate, the law school is across the street from AFH and shares the garage (we had to be out on game nights). Roy's best friend was the Dean of the law school, they jogged every morning. So we had some privileges, like playing the only other law school in the state on the AFH court.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I hate them all

Reaction Score
Curious to see the answers...

For me it's always been Gonzaga. Mark Few is drastically underrated IMO and the way they remain so cohesive every year, despite lofty expectations while not being in the media limelight as a "blue blood".

I see them as a model program with a unique style of ball. They don't get rattled when down and remain humble in-game.

Great program, and although I'm Husky all the way I still have a small % set aside for those Bulldogs.

Richmond (mid major; David vs Goliath vibe; I lived in area)

Marquette (history; no football; fun team to watch)

Reaction Score
Really fun to read everyone's answers, fun thread.

For me, there are too many to list, there are so many teams I enjoy watching for a variety of reasons. I'm sure I'm missing some, but here's a list:

Team when watching live, I'm most likely to root for them the hardest: Sacred Heart. I'm 20 minutes from the arena, my dad is an alum, my sister teaches there, I love their coach

Favorite locals: Iona, Yale, Vermont, Rhode Island, FDU

Mid-Majors I've liked for a few years: Saint Mary's, San Diego State, Utah State, Boise State, Marshall, North Texas,

High-majors I like recently: Iowa State, Tennessee, Houston, Arizona, Virginia, Rutgers, West Virginia, Texas Tech, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas State

Mid-majors I like now: Charleston, New Mexico, UAB, Florida Atlantic, Duquesne, Fordham

Favorite Big East Teams: Marquette, Xavier

Least favorite Big East Teams: Providence, Seton Hall

Reaction Score
Curious to see the answers...

For me it's always been Gonzaga. Mark Few is drastically underrated IMO and the way they remain so cohesive every year, despite lofty expectations while not being in the media limelight as a "blue blood".

I see them as a model program with a unique style of ball. They don't get rattled when down and remain humble in-game.

Great program, and although I'm Husky all the way I still have a small % set aside for those Bulldogs.
None of the above. I went to grad school at UNC and I'd light myself on fire before rooting for them. Kids may end up going to UVA or Va Tech, forcing me to (maybe) follow an ACC team (Shudder).

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
BYU. I went there for undergrad. The Jimmer years were fun. They really blew that Gonzaga game last night. So close.

Reaction Score
I've known Steve Pikiell for nearly 30 years and am amazed at the job he is doing.

I get that they (can't bring myself to say their name) have recently made a huge financial commitment to the basketball program but to take that program from being the WORST in D1 to competing for B1G title is an incredible accomplishment.

Steve obviously learned so much from JC and has now stamped that program as his.

Reaction Score
Having gone to grad school at ASU, I also follow and root for Coach Dan's brother Bobby Hurley's Sun Devils. They are having a good season and need to conquer their hex against UofA (the equivalent of Syracuse to all ASU grads)

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
not '2nd fav' but a version.
any team coached by stevie pik.
most teams with a former player of ours on it.

imma homer like that.

but i tend to also like teams with a player that i know is a 'shut ur mouf' stud stallion, like recently, chet, ja morant, and evan.
jimmer was not a stud stallion. it took a while for some to figger that out.
victor will not be going to college.

Reaction Score
DePaul when they aren't playing us. It always helps if everyone in the conference is good. Plus, that campus and that city are so attractive and they can't recruit. Boggles my mind

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Ive been a huge Marcus Smart fan since his days at OSU and have liked them a longtime before he arrived at the school so I am a big OSU Cowboys fan

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
DePaul when they aren't playing us. It always helps if everyone in the conference is good. Plus, that campus and that city are so attractive and they can't recruit. Boggles my mind
Most kids want to leave Chicago it increases their life longevity.

Reaction Score
My girlfriend is a Hoosier, so Indiana for me. It disgusts me how they get literally nothing at all from anyone else on the team besides Trayce Jackson-Davis and Jalen Hood-Schifino. I understand that they're down two starters, but some of their losses this year have been mind-numbing. Woodson needs to figure it out. That fanbase may turn on him quickly.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I like Iowa's game. Coach McCaffrey directs a nice disciplined game on both sides of the ball. As a result, they are fun to watch. Case in point was their recent rebound from being 23 pts down against Indiana and winning in OT.
Love Frannie, great coach-great guy.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Always rooting hard for the Big East teams outside of conference play. I have high respect for Ed Cooley. I also like Shaka Smart and Sean Miller. It’ll be fun if Matta can get Butler back to national relevance.

Other than that- Houston, most AAC teams, TCU, UVM and I have a soft spot for UCLA and Miami U because I have spent a little time in LA and Miami and love those areas. The UCLA campus is stunning.

Also the Toreros of San Diego- I happened to find myself at their home game against Utah State back in November and became a fan.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Spent early years outside of Ct. and rooted for UCLA probably b/c of TV exposure. Became a big fan of the Larry Brown-Rod Foster (Ct.) team that lost in '80 to Darrell Griffith and Louisville. UCLA had some studs on that squad besides Foster, including Vandeweghe, Mike Sanders who played in the Association, and Darren Daye who came off the bench that year.

Reaction Score
Being that I now live in Charlottesville and have for about a decade, I guess I would say Virginia. Kinda easy to root for them when they play the likes of Duke, UNC, and Cuse often.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom