28 years ago today.... | The Boneyard

28 years ago today....

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
3 years ago today the past was still the past.

Reaction Score
Remember it well. Unfortunately I didn’t get to see it. I love telling this story. I was driving back to grad school at Michigan after spring break listening to the game on the radio in upstate NY on one of the Syracuse team stations. As I got towards Canada the signal was starting to fade so I pulled over in a rest stop/scenic area before the bridge that goes over the Niagra River. I’m screaming and slamming my fists on the dash board as the Huskies closed it out. People were looking at me like I was nuts. I didn’t care in the least. Made the rest of the drive back to school very pleasant. God I miss that feeling.

Reaction Score
Virtually going back to those days, and the precipice of all to come. Even though it would be another 9 years before we get to the final 4 (let alone win it all :)), but was Oh So Fun along the way to watch how the program developed. You knew that consistently knocking on that door, we were going to bust it down if no one let us in!!

Reaction Score
I was a sophomore in college and, as a result, hadn't been able to see that many games during the run through the regular season. Each Monday, I would pass through the library on my way from class to check the USA Today to see where we were. It was unbelievable to see them steadily move up the polls each week.

The semi-final win against Georgetown and the Championship win against Syracuse were just unbelievable. It was such a change from the 8-9 game we had grown accustomed to playing in.

I have watched many of the 89-90 team's games during this winter. That group was so fun to watch. They remain my favorite UConn team of all time.

Here's to more weekends like that one at The Garden.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That was the best. A little trouble tracking down my nephew and his friend who stormed the court.

And yes was one of those early spring days - great day to be back in New York at MSG. The number of UConn fans there was amazing.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I still remember the Georgetown game in the semis more. But god, what a run that was!

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
I have watched many of the 89-90 team's games during this winter. That group was so fun to watch. They remain my fav
Which ‘89-90 games are you able to watch? The only full broadcasts I can find are ‘Cuse, Clemson and, of course, the game that shall not be mentioned.

Reaction Score
Which ‘89-90 games are you able to watch? The only full broadcasts I can find are ‘Cuse, Clemson and, of course, the game that shall not be mentioned.

Uconnhuskygames.com

Many are there from Dream Season. Another favorite, 1988 NIT Quarterfinals against VCU. The old Field House was jumping!

Reaction Score
I was a junior. I was at Ted's for this game. I still have the Journal Inquirer from 3/12/90 with me pictured on the front page, at Ted's, celebrating the win. I'm looking at it right now. It was 35 cents. I should have bought more copies. But I probably had 50 cents in my pocket when I bought it. I even filled out the bracket, on page 61. I had us in the Final Four and we almost made it too. For reasons I can't remember now I didn't fill out the bracket past the Final Four.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
This was a part of the start of everything. I would hope you would have an appreciation of that.
Some people don’t have the capacity for that.

Reaction Score
I remember those days vividly and fondly. UCONN was never favorited but we had something nobody else had...Jim Calhoun.

C

Chief00

Remember it well. Unfortunately I didn’t get to see it. I love telling this story. I was driving back to grad school at Michigan after spring break listening to the game on the radio in upstate NY on one of the Syracuse team stations. As I got towards Canada the signal was starting to fade so I pulled over in a rest stop/scenic area before the bridge that goes over the Niagra River. I’m screaming and slamming my fists on the dash board as the Huskies closed it out. People were looking at me like I was nuts. I didn’t care in the least. Made the rest of the drive back to school very pleasant. God I miss that feeling.

Great story

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Was sitting in the Mezzanine at MSG and was going nuts with other UConn fans but the best part was the Gtown fans whom we fought with the night before were going nuts with us. Funny thing, the Gtown fans were more vocal against Cuse with us than against us on Friday night.
Went to the team bus parking lot after the game and got to talk to Smitty who was on 7th heaven carrying that MVP trophy and the micro toaster John G who had his piece of net attached to his hat. Tate George was hanging with a bunch of young women and they were all over him. JC came out and shook some hands and I got to chat to him for a second - my son took a picture of us that he has in his office - can't believe how young both Jim and I look. I brought it to a function in Madison 3 years ago and we both had another laugh and when Jim spoke he brought it up - brought tears to my eyes!!!

Reaction Score
I was a student at UConn at the time. Was at MSG for the whole tournament and was in the second row baseline for the final. Stormed the court and celebrated with the team. 28 years ago?! Geezus I am old.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
Speaking of old game broadcasts, does anyone know if the tape of the the '79 NCAA game vs Syracuse exists? We were down 25 at one point, closed to 4, then lost by 8. I've looked for years and can't find it.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I'd not been in the USA long yet and was living in Southern California at the time. While I didn't watch the BE Tournament that year, I was watching when "the shot" happened and became sort of a closet UConn fan. Then in '92 I moved here and it became a consuming obsession.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom