27th Consecutive Winning Season | The Boneyard

27th Consecutive Winning Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No everyone this is not a sudden love fest LOL

I caught the thread title and liked the idea of the positive nature of it as nyc kind of made me think about that. I mean being a fan dating back to well beyond 1988 and knowing what we were at the time, this is somewhat significant. The fact we can go 17-13 and be really, crazy disappointed is an amazing thing. Yankee Conference guys and gals to here. It's not fun but it could be worst.

Thursday I was really upset about the loss at least today I can sit back and take it, they aren't that good. It would take a 1980 hockey team Miracle for us to be playing next Thursday in a region. The NIT would not be fun for me but of course their my team and I will watch it. Tough times, but they're still better than most.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It's not over and as disappointing as it's been, we have racked up another winning season dating back to 1988.
We could be ucla, indiana, and a number of other historically great teams who haven't even sniffed a final four in years. Florida, msu, michigan, are all having down years. It will get better

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

I caught the thread title and liked the idea of the positive nature of it as nyc kind of made me think about that. I mean being a fan dating back to well beyond 1988 and knowing what we were at the time, this is somewhat significant. The fact we can go 17-13 and be really, crazy disappointed is an amazing thing. Yankee Conference guys and gals to here. It's not fun but it could be worst.

Thursday I was really upset about the loss at least today I can sit back and take it, they aren't that good. It would take a 1980 hockey team Miracle for us to be playing next Thursday in a region. The NIT would not be fun for me but of course their my team and I will watch it. Tough times, but they're still better than most.
I like you better when you guys were fighting. This love fest has to stop.

Reaction Score
Mau really nailed this. I mean bad seasons and poor chemistry are inevitable even for top flight programs. The fact that we might get 20 wins in a "horrific" year really isn't the end of the world. 27 straight years with a winning record is something I would've signed up for as a 6 year old in 1988. I think we will be really good next year with Brimah and Hamilton as potential 1st round NBA guys also.

Reaction Score
We could be ucla, indiana, and a number of other historically great teams who haven't even sniffed a final four in years. Florida, msu, michigan, are all having down years. It will get better
UCLA hasn't sniffed a title for years, but they were in the Final Four in 2006, 2007, and 2008. That's not really that long ago. Or, if it is, why not argue that UNC hasn't won a title in ages (2009)?

Otherwise, though, I do that your point, and I think it's largely right. I think we'll be fine.

I actually think, oddly, we'll be better next year even without Boat. Just a feeling.

Reaction Score
we also have 4 titles with no asterisk next to them, UNC might likely have their last title vacated.

Reaction Score

Yeah but were is your 'My Temple Thoughts' thread? I think I like the old Mau better, not the new Rodney King one.

Reaction Score
Yeah but were is your 'My Temple Thoughts' thread? I think I like the old Mau better, not the new Rodney King one.

I was concerned to do that for some reason.

Maybe "Morning After Temple Thoughts?" What do you think nyc? ;)

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score

Had this been a few years ago in the Big East I would 1000% agreed with you, and I think much of the doom and gloom seen on this board would not be happening. Yet one major difference between us and the programs you listed is their current standing in the college athletics world, namely with conference affiliation. I know there are some of the pom-pom crowd (as Fishy puts it) who refuse to be anything but 100% positive and roll their eyes at mentions of the AAC, but its the truth. Those other down programs have the support, both competitively and financially, of P5 conferences. UConn does not have this at all in the AAC, so our mistakes and bad seasons will be magnified 10-fold. With our current situation, I fear that a bad season will only snowball and magnify as one bad thing leads to another (bad season in a bad conference --> bad RPI --> miss NCAAT --> sub-par recruiting the following season due to the bad year in a bad conference --> team is now worse than it was the year before --> and so on).

Reaction Score
I dont mean to beat a dead horse, but it all boils down to recruiting, recruiting, and recruiting. Is Ollie John Wooden?? No, but hes a darn good coach and we saw that last year, and some people even forget his first year when the team came up with some good wins and won 20 games in a year they were ineligible. Thats why Im not really putting any of this season on Ollie's coaching. Recruiting is a different story it seems. If Ollie can recruit top players, we will be just fine moving forward and making deep runs in the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Had this been a few years ago in the Big East I would 1000% agreed with you, and I think much of the doom and gloom seen on this board would not be happening. Yet one major difference between us and the programs you listed is their current standing in the college athletics world, namely with conference affiliation. I know there are some of the pom-pom crowd (as Fishy puts it) who refuse to be anything but 100% positive and roll their eyes at mentions of the AAC, but its the truth. Those other down programs have the support, both competitively and financially, of P5 conferences. UConn does not have this at all in the AAC, so our mistakes and bad seasons will be magnified 10-fold. With our current situation, I fear that a bad season will only snowball and magnify as one bad thing leads to another (bad season in a bad conference --> bad RPI --> miss NCAAT --> sub-par recruiting the following season due to the bad year in a bad conference --> team is now worse than it was the year before --> and so on).
The AAC sucks. A lot.

And last year it was better at the top.

But last year there were 5/10 that were RPI Top 100. This year there were 6/11.

And Houston hired a proven coach. UCF and USF made some bold hires as well. Their scheduling sucked, but otherwise they seemed to actually care about improving their basketball.

We need three things, all possible given that those 3 schools seem to actually care:

1) Current Top 6 need to keep their together. UConn, Memphis, Cincy, and Temple need to stay Top 50, with 1-2 Top 25. SMU too, probably will at least while they have Brown. Tulsa needs to stay Top 100.

2) One of the sub-200 teams (and USF at 263 is currently the worst) needs to get to be Top 100. My money is on Houston.

3) All these teams need to schedule better. The combination of non- OOC and 7 Top 100 schools will mean we'll probably have only 1-2 sub-200, and the others 3-4 will hover between 100-150. That will buoy everyone else's RPI. I mean, DePaul is 12-18, and RPI 168. That's how much it would help if these teams would play some real teams, and win some games.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
The AAC sucks. A lot.

And last year it was better at the top.

But last year there were 5/10 that were RPI Top 100. This year there were 6/11.

And Houston hired a proven coach. UCF and USF made some bold hires as well. Their scheduling sucked, but otherwise they seemed to actually care about improving their basketball.

We need three things, all possible given that those 3 schools seem to actually care:

1) Current Top 6 need to keep their together. UConn, Memphis, Cincy, and Temple need to stay Top 50, with 1-2 Top 25. SMU too, probably will at least while they have Brown. Tulsa needs to stay Top 100.

2) One of the sub-200 teams (and USF at 263 is currently the worst) needs to get to be Top 100. My money is on Houston.

3) All these teams need to schedule better. The combination of non- ty OOC and 7 Top 100 schools will mean we'll probably have only 1-2 sub-200, and the others 3-4 will hover between 100-150. That will buoy everyone else's RPI. I mean, DePaul is 12-18, and RPI 168. That's how much it would help if these teams would play some real teams, and win some games.

All three points are true but also all rely HEAVILY on programs that have never performed at a high-D1 level to all of a sudden replace the old teams in the BE that UConn lost, not happening, no way no how. Also, even if all three of your points hold true, it doesnt answer the second half of the problem I mentioned in my original post, $$$. P5 power comes with P5 money. Right now UConn is making a laughable amount in the AAC (Im too lazy to look up the number, do so yourself if you wish to be sick) compared to P5 payouts. Success in sports is nice and goes a long way, but someone/something needs to PAY for all of this. Jerseys, top gear, chartered airplanes for the entire team, hotel stays, travel for recruiting (looks like we have already cut this one out of our budget - i kid). Eventually it could get to the point where the university simply cant afford to maintain UConn's men's program at the level it and the fans grew accustomed to, since back in the day UConn would get BE $$$ as well as make more money on ticket sales as people seem to like watching their team play SU, GTown, etc over ECU, and Tulane, go figure. The future terrifies me, and I honestly dont feel comforted by anything I read by even the most positive posters, call me spoiled or whatever. I see myself as someone who thinks its wisest to capitalize on success and to not get satisfied/content with (past) success, call me crazy.

Reaction Score
All three points are true but also all rely HEAVILY on programs that have never performed at a high-D1 level to all of a sudden replace the old teams in the BE that UConn lost, not happening, no way no how. Also, even if all three of your points hold true, it doesnt answer the second half of the problem I mentioned in my original post, $$$. P5 power comes with P5 money. Right now UConn is making a laughable amount in the AAC (Im too lazy to look up the number, do so yourself if you wish to be sick) compared to P5 payouts. Success in sports is nice and goes a long way, but someone/something needs to PAY for all of this. Jerseys, top gear, chartered airplanes for the entire team, hotel stays, travel for recruiting (looks like we have already cut this one out of our budget - i kid). Eventually it could get to the point where the university simply cant afford to maintain UConn's men's program at the level it and the fans grew accustomed to, since back in the day UConn would get BE $$$ as well as make more money on ticket sales as people seem to like watching their team play SU, GTown, etc over ECU, and Tulane, go figure. The future terrifies me, and I honestly dont feel comforted by anything I read by even the most positive posters, call me spoiled or whatever. I see myself as someone who thinks its wisest to capitalize on success and to not get satisfied/content with (past) success, call me crazy.
To be clear, they will never replace the old BE, and UConn needs out. ASAP.

But, while we're stuck here, we can be better, on a year to year basis than the new BE, the PAC, and the SEC. At least in the Top 6 teams.

And I picked Houston exactly because they have some history and hired Kelvin Sampson. If just Houston becomes a Top 100 team, combined with Memphis going back to doing Memphis things (i.e. winning games), (and UConn), those bottom teams probably aren't quite so low.

Reaction Score
To be clear, they will never replace the old BE, and UConn needs out. ASAP.

But, while we're stuck here, we can be better, on a year to year basis than the new BE, the PAC, and the SEC. At least in the Top 6 teams.

And I picked Houston exactly because they have some history and hired Kelvin Sampson. If just Houston becomes a Top 100 team, combined with Memphis going back to doing Memphis things (i.e. winning games), (and UConn), those bottom teams probably aren't quite so low.
Agreed that the top six need to stay/become relevant. I'm going to reserve judgment on just how awful I think the top half of this conference is until the postseason results are in, hopefully my perception will be changed. I'll still take historical Temple and Memphis over PC, Seton Hall and St.Johns (Billy Donovan, Pj and Carnesecca ain't walking through the door anytime soon) The bottom half has minimal promise imo, but I agree Sampson is, on the surface, the most likely to succeed. I do wonder if he will have success doing things on the up and up. SOS needs to improve. Would a AAC-SEC challenge be a viable option? Could win the perception game. I only pick SEC because they suck as far as P-5 goes. Wishful thinking, I doubt there would be any vested interest for them. Aresco needs to raise the profile.

Reaction Score
No offense to the OP, but can you imagine someone on the Kansas board starting a thread like this?

Who cares about the Kansas board thinks? I really don't follow other teams so someone tell what has Kansas done lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom