25 Best Movies of All Time - Multiple Genres | The Boneyard

25 Best Movies of All Time - Multiple Genres

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Washington, D.C. news station WTOP has an Entertainment Editor named Jason Fraley, who recently compiled his top 25 movies in a number of genres; 750 total.

His list is unusual in that the number of genres is large (30).

Anyway, I always like these kinds of lists. I thought some folks here would enjoy having a look -- once you open the page, scroll down a bit for the graphic representing each of the 30 genres and click to reveal the top 25 for each.

Best Movies of All Time | WTOP

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Took one genre to know why there are so many. It’s the fraction of a cent per click.

I’m sure if someone could sit through Duck Soup it’s the third best comedy.

Reaction Score
Washington, D.C. news station WTOP has an Entertainment Editor named Jason Fraley, who recently compiled his top 25 movies in a number of genres; 750 total.

His list is unusual in that the number of genres is large (30).

Anyway, I always like these kinds of lists. I thought some folks here would enjoy having a look -- once you open the page, scroll down a bit for the graphic representing each of the 30 genres and click to reveal the top 25 for each.

Best Movies of All Time | WTOP
What a joke. It doesn't take as long to sit through Duck Soup as it takes to click through every genre. Way too many of them, but lots of room for ads, Lol. Clicked through one them, the western genre and saw "Shane" at #7. Lol.

Reaction Score
Took one genre to know why there are so many. It’s the fraction of a cent per click.

I’m sure if someone could sit through Duck Soup it’s the third best comedy.

Duck Soup, great comedy, the best the Marx Brothers ever did.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Just above the graphics section is a link to the full list:

Download the full list here: Best Movies in Every Genre

Without even getting deep into this, skimming the surface of this list points out at least three significant problems for me:

The Princess Bride is listed as #7 in "Adventure", several spots ahead of The African Queen. I like both but having them in the same genre is problematic for me, let alone the relative ranking.

Once again, the original The In-Laws gets no love. It's a top 10 all-time comedy period. There should be no argument.

Groundhog Day is not only under "Fantasy" (not comedy) but above Field of Dreams. Blasphemous. Did any of you tear up watching Groundhog Day?

Sex, Lies and Videotape is under "Family Drama"? I can't imagine the family discussions after that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not working the document to have each top 25 on their own page annoys me.
Its a decent effort but man having so many categories yet still non-fits like Groundhog Day as fantasy is weird. Likewise Jaws (one of the top 10 movies ever, invented the summer blockbuster) is minimized into horror and at #5, just below the Shining so it seems less egregious, but Jaws is not a horror movie, probably a drama or adventure on this list.

Perhaps the best function of this list is to print it out and refer to when you want to watch a movie that you haven't seen and are in the mood for a genre plus chance to fill-in a missing watch on your personal classics list. Kind of like a best books list, order isn't as vital as trying to see a lot of the more memorable, highly touted ones. I'm thin on Westerns, Romance, Prison movies, Film Noir - generally stuff before 1970 I've mainly seen super-classics.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Having Miracle on 34th Street as a Courtroom? But not having a Best 25 Christmas list????

Reaction Score
Having Miracle on 34th Street as a Courtroom? But not having a Best 25 Christmas list????

You are right, Miracle on 34th Street (1947) is not what I would call a Courtroom movie. It is a great Christmas movie, ranking in my top 4.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom