247's new 2017 rankings | The Boneyard

247's new 2017 rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We're involved (early & strong) with a bunch of guys in the Nos. 20-through-40 range, many of whom are local-ish. I'm going to use the 247 rankings here instead of the composite:

23: Jermaine Samuels (6-foot-6 SF from Massachusetts; considered a strong UConn lean)
25: Tremont Waters (5-foot-10 PG from Connecticut; considered a strong UConn lean; may reclassify to 2016)
26: Jordan Tucker (6-foot-7 SG/SF from White Plains; considered a Syracuse lean)
27: Samuel Japhet-Mathias (6-foot-10 C from Massachusetts via England; UConn/GTown toss-up; may reclassify to 2016)
28: Isiah Jassey (6-foot-9 PF from Texas; considered a strong Texas lean)
35: Hamidou Diallo (6-foot-4 SG from NYC; considered a slight UConn lean)
36: Andre Rafus (6-foot-7 SF from Baltimore; considered a slight UConn lean)
53: Nate Pierre-Louis (6-foot-3 CG from Jersey; considered a UConn/GTown toss-up)
63: Makai Ashton-Langford (6-foot-0 PG from Long Island; UConn interest, no lean thus far)

Ishmael El-Amin (Khalid's kid; 6-foot-1 PG from Minnesota who we've offered) didn't make their top 70, and it's worth noting there are two high-level New England players (Tomas Murphy; stretch PF from Rhode Island & Kimani Lawrence, SF from Massachusetts) we don't seem to be involved with.

We're also, of course, involved with a number of kids in the national top 20 (Ira Lee & Cody Riley from Southern California are two of them, high school & AAU teammates). The one we're supposedly strongest with is No. 7 Zach Brown, a 7-foot-1 wide-body Center from Florida who was at our midnight madness and raved about it.

Obviously we're months if not years away from putting this class together for real. Obviously things can and will change in the next 2 years - Will Jackson was a top 20 talent at this point in his recruitment cycle.

But just as obviously we're going to need a huge class in 2017 since we'll be losing TSam, Amida, Facey, Purvis, SamIIAm and maybe DHam as an early entry. It's just interesting to me how many of our potential answers could be local guys, and how we seem to be focused more on the sub-Kentucky/Kansas/Duke-level recruits, for the most part.

Maybe 3conn, 99, tcf or Zionn can shed more light on where we stand with some of these guys, which the real priorities are, and their particular style of play.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Never heard of Tremont reclassifying. Is this new?

Reaction Score
When I posted about Tremont on Feb 2nd, I had been watching the Brewster/South Kent game and by chance had been talking with Tremont's father at the game. As I posted then, his dad said academics are big in their family and that they EXPECTED Tremont to complete his high school academics in the spring next year. He didn't say or hint what was next after that. I said that Tremont would be in a position to reclassify like Shabazz. He smiled a broad smile. The Boneyard conversation about reclassification is the natural inference/speculation from this dialogue but can't really be fact anyway until he completes next year's course work. Until then, it is just something to keep in mind relative to our recruiting. He might be academically available for 2016 vs 2017.

Reaction Score
What about this year's Syracuse recruits? If they do get a two year ban, wouldn't the recruits be able to go elsewhere?
I believe so. And their current players would probably get the same "immediate transfer" treatment that AO did.

I'd love - LOVE - to poach Kaleb Joseph from them. It would fill me with real glee.

caw

Reaction Score
I believe so. And their current players would probably get the same "immediate transfer" treatment that AO did.

I'd love - LOVE - to poach Kaleb Joseph from them. It would fill me with real glee.

Only those whose eligibility would expire during the ban would be immediately eligible. Oriakhi was, Smith wasn't. Or at least that is the case with UConn.

So if Cuse got an additional year, Cooney and Gbinge would be immediately eligible for transfer and play. If it was two years 16/17 then the sophomores would also be eligible to play immediately upon transfer. Joseph would need the NCAA to say it was a three years in addition to this year, at least based on what they did to UConn.

Imagine if they imposed a two year ban in 16/17 and didn't let Joseph be immediately eligible upon transfer, he would only be able to play in the NCAAT as a senior and his class would be the only one not able to be immediately eligible. Man that would stink for him.

Reaction Score
Only those whose eligibility would expire during the ban would be immediately eligible. Oriakhi was, Smith wasn't. Or at least that is the case with UConn.

So if Cuse got an additional year, Cooney and Gbinge would be immediately eligible for transfer and play. If it was two years 16/17 then the sophomores would also be eligible to play immediately upon transfer. Joseph would need the NCAA to say it was a three years in addition to this year, at least based on what they did to UConn.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane - somehow I'd forgotten a couple of those details.

Imagine if they imposed a two year ban in 16/17 and didn't let Joseph be immediately eligible upon transfer, he would only be able to play in the NCAAT as a senior and his class would be the only one not able to be immediately eligible. Man that would stink for him.
Knowing both 'Cuse & the NCAA, they'd probably be very happy to screw the kid like that.

Reactions: caw

caw

Reaction Score
We're involved (early & strong) with a bunch of guys in the Nos. 20-through-40 range, many of whom are local-ish. I'm going to use the 247 rankings here instead of the composite:

23: Jermaine Samuels (6-foot-6 SF from Massachusetts; considered a strong UConn lean)
25: Tremont Waters (5-foot-10 PG from Connecticut; considered a strong UConn lean; may reclassify to 2016)
26: Jordan Tucker (6-foot-7 SG/SF from White Plains; considered a Syracuse lean)
27: Samuel Japhet-Mathias (6-foot-10 C from Massachusetts via England; UConn/GTown toss-up; may reclassify to 2016)
28: Isiah Jassey (6-foot-9 PF from Texas; considered a strong Texas lean)
35: Hamidou Diallo (6-foot-4 SG from NYC; considered a slight UConn lean)
36: Andre Rafus (6-foot-7 SF from Baltimore; considered a slight UConn lean)
53: Nate Pierre-Louis (6-foot-3 CG from Jersey; considered a UConn/GTown toss-up)
63: Makai Ashton-Langford (6-foot-0 PG from Long Island; UConn interest, no lean thus far)

Ishmael El-Amin (Khalid's kid; 6-foot-1 PG from Minnesota who we've offered) didn't make their top 70, and it's worth noting there are two high-level New England players (Tomas Murphy; stretch PF from Rhode Island & Kimani Lawrence, SF from Massachusetts) we don't seem to be involved with.

We're also, of course, involved with a number of kids in the national top 20 (Ira Lee & Cody Riley from Southern California are two of them, high school & AAU teammates). The one we're supposedly strongest with is No. 7 Zach Brown, a 7-foot-1 wide-body Center from Florida who was at our midnight madness and raved about it.

Obviously we're months if not years away from putting this class together for real. Obviously things can and will change in the next 2 years - Will Jackson was a top 20 talent at this point in his recruitment cycle.

But just as obviously we're going to need a huge class in 2017 since we'll be losing TSam, Amida, Facey, Purvis, SamIIAm and maybe DHam as an early entry. It's just interesting to me how many of our potential answers could be local guys, and how we seem to be focused more on the sub-Kentucky/Kansas/Duke-level recruits, for the most part.

Maybe 3conn, 99, tcf or Zionn can shed more light on where we stand with some of these guys, which the real priorities are, and their particular style of play.

So dream class for me incluedes Waters, Diallo, Samuels and Brown. I haven't idea how many scholarships will be available that year or who comes in 16.

Reaction Score
So dream class for me incluedes Waters, Diallo, Samuels and Brown. I haven't idea how many scholarships will be available that year or who comes in 16.
Let's assume we use our two remaining 2015 scholarships on Brown & Wagner. That puts us at 13 for next year, with this depth chart:

2015/16 Roster:
PG: TSam (Jr), Adams (Fr), SamIIAm (Jr)
SG: Ferrari (Jr), Brown (Fr)
SF: DHam (So), Omar (Sr)
PF: Kentan (Jr), Rock (So), Wagner (Fr)
C: Amida (Jr), Phil (Sr), Enoch (Fr)

Now we all know that's an on-paper depth chart, and that we'll spend a ton of time playing 3-guard lineups with DHam at the 4 and Adams in the lineup with TSam & Purvis. But for argument's sake, that's what we could look like next year.

Omar and Phil graduate. Amida isn't ready to be an impact player, but he's projected as a top 10 pick so KO gives him the Rudy Gay speech so he leaves. That gives us three openings for the 2016 recruiting class, with a glaring need at backup center and large wing depth.

We land Mario Kegler (4-star combo forward who's considered a strong UConn lean), Rodney Miller (4-star center from NYC) and Tyrique Jones (4-star PF from Connecticut who's considered a UConn lean).

2016/17 Roster:
PG: TSam (Sr), Adams (So), SamIIAm (Sr)
SG: Ferrari (Sr), Brown (So)
SF: DHam (Jr), Kegler (Fr)
PF: Kentan (Sr), Rock (Jr), Wagner (So), Jones (Fr)
C: Enoch (So), Miller (Fr)

This is, of course, the team that wins our fifth national title, which is clinched when Purvis drains three straight free throws - none of them touch the rim - with 8 seconds left to give us a 5-point lead over Louisville. DHam is voted national player of the year after averaging 15 points, 9 rebounds and 6 assists while shooting 50/40/80. He declares for the draft, and goes No. 3 overall to the Celtics.

But now we're in trouble, because we've lost four of five starters - 3 of whom were first round draft picks, and the other (TSam) a UConn legend of the Lyman DePriest/Ricky Moore/Taliek Brown variety. Before we look at the recruits we're bringing in, we need to figure out what's left:

2017/18 Roster:
PG: Adams (Jr)
SG: Brown (Jr)
SF: Kegler (So)
PF: Wagner (Jr), Rock (Sr), Jones (So)
C: Enoch (Jr), Miller (So)

Waters is our first commit, followed the next day by Samuels. Diallo joins them shortly thereafter, and now we're two-deep at all the perimeter positions and center, and three-deep at PF. That leaves us two scholarships to use.

Here's the thing, though: Adams and Enoch, both juniors, are projected as first round picks. It'd be foolish not to plan for that, so... we double down on recruits at those spots. Brown makes is wait a good, long while, but we finally ink him after a prolonged Instagram campaign orchestrated by Chief and HuskyFanDan. Brown cites the Boneyard in his commitment speech, which is broadcast live on ESPNU.

It seems for a while like we won't be using the final spot, but then El-Amin decommits from Minnesota after Richard Pitino is caught in a sex scandal with a 7-11 clerk, a herring and the bumper of a '75 Chevy Nova in early May. Within 24 hours he becomes the final piece of the puzzle, the cherry on top of our best-ever recruiting class. And now our 2017/18 roster looks like this:

PG: Adams (Jr), Waters (Fr), El-Amin (Fr)
SG: B. Brown (Jr), Diallo (Fr)
SF: Kegler (So), Samuels (Fr)
C: Enoch (Jr), Z. Brown (Fr), Miller (So)

After leading UConn to an undefeated season and our sixth national title - beating Indiana 97-34 - Enoch, Adams and Z. Brown become the first teammates ever to go Nos. 1, 2 & 3 in the same draft. Rock ends up being a second-round pick of the Patriots before going onto a Hall of Fame career as a defensive end.

In a tearful, post-game press conference, Mark Emmert just whispers "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry" for five minutes while everyone in the room nods solemnly. Jim Delany then offers UConn a B1G invite as well as back-pay for what he calls "the biggest mistake of my life," but fails to elaborate.

Two days later the UConn basketball program gets suspended for a two years because El-Amin was two minutes late for one class back in September. Our titles are retroactively awarded to Syracuse.

Reaction Score
So if Cuse got an additional year, Cooney and Gbinge would be immediately eligible for transfer and play.

Cooney & Gbinije are both Seniors academically this year, so if they graduate this May, they are eligible to transfer & play immediately next year regardless (unless they change the rule). Cooney redshirted his Freshman year & Gbinije sat out a transfer year after playing his Freshman year at Duke.

Reaction Score
Let's assume we use our two remaining 2015 scholarships on Brown & Wagner. That puts us at 13 for next year, with this depth chart:

2015/16 Roster:

Sorry, who is Wagner? Can't remember that name.

caw

Reaction Score
Cooney & Gbinije are both Seniors academically this year, so if they graduate this May, they are eligible to transfer & play immediately next year regardless (unless they change the rule). Cooney redshirted his Freshman year & Gbinije sat out a transfer year after playing his Freshman year at Duke.

Are they on pace to do so? I admit I'm not aware of exCuses players academics.

Reaction Score
Are they on pace to do so? I admit I'm not aware of exCuses players academics.

Just know they are 4th year players. One came from Duke, so he is probably smart enough. Think I read Cooney & Gbinije were on schedule to graduate too. Hence the "if they graduate"... You never know fully with Cuse.

pj

Reaction Score

2015/16 Roster:

Now we all know that's an on-paper depth chart, and that we'll spend a ton of time playing 3-guard lineups with DHam at the 4 and Adams in the lineup with TSam & Purvis. But for argument's sake, that's what we could look like next year.

Omar and Phil graduate. Amida isn't ready to be an impact player, but he's projected as a top 10 pick so KO gives him the Rudy Gay speech so he leaves. That gives us three openings for the 2016 recruiting class, with a glaring need at backup center and large wing depth.

We land Mario Kegler (4-star combo forward who's considered a strong UConn lean), Rodney Miller (4-star center from NYC) and Tyrique Jones (4-star PF from Connecticut who's considered a UConn lean).

2016/17 Roster:
PG: TSam (Sr), Adams (So), SamIIAm (Sr)
SG: Ferrari (Sr), Brown (So)
SF: DHam (Jr), Kegler (Fr)
PF: Kentan (Sr), Rock (Jr), Wagner (So), Jones (Fr)
C: Enoch (So), Miller (Fr)

This is, of course, the team that wins our fifth national title, which is clinched when Purvis drains three straight free throws - none of them touch the rim - with 8 seconds left to give us a 5-point lead over Louisville. DHam is voted national player of the year after averaging 15 points, 9 rebounds and 6 assists while shooting 50/40/80. He declares for the draft, and goes No. 3 overall to the Celtics.

But now we're in trouble, because we've lost four of five starters - 3 of whom were first round draft picks, and the other (TSam) a UConn legend of the Lyman DePriest/Ricky Moore/Taliek Brown variety. Before we look at the recruits we're bringing in, we need to figure out what's left:

2017/18 Roster:
PG: Adams (Jr)
SG: Brown (Jr)
SF: Kegler (So)
C: Enoch (Jr), Miller (So)

Waters is our first commit, followed the next day by Samuels. Diallo joins them shortly thereafter, and now we're two-deep at all the perimeter positions and center, and three-deep at PF. That leaves us two scholarships to use.

Here's the thing, though: Adams and Enoch, both juniors, are projected as first round picks. It'd be foolish not to plan for that, so... we double down on recruits at those spots. Brown makes is wait a good, long while, but we finally ink him after a prolonged Instagram campaign orchestrated by Chief and HuskyFanDan. Brown cites the Boneyard in his commitment speech, which is broadcast live on ESPNU.

It seems for a while like we won't be using the final spot, but then El-Amin decommits from Minnesota after Richard Pitino is caught in a s e x scandal with a 7-11 clerk, a herring and the bumper of a '75 Chevy Nova in early May. Within 24 hours he becomes the final piece of the puzzle, the cherry on top of our best-ever recruiting class. And now our 2017/18 roster looks like this:

PG: Adams (Jr), Waters (Fr), El-Amin (Fr)
SG: B. Brown (Jr), Diallo (Fr)
SF: Kegler (So), Samuels (Fr)
C: Enoch (Jr), Z. Brown (Fr), Miller (So)

After leading UConn to an undefeated season and our sixth national title - beating Indiana 97-34 - Enoch, Adams and Z. Brown become the first teammates ever to go Nos. 1, 2 & 3 in the same draft. Rock ends up being a second-round pick of the Patriots before going onto a Hall of Fame career as a defensive end.

In a tearful, post-game press conference, Mark Emmert just whispers "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry" for five minutes while everyone in the room nods solemnly. Jim Delany then offers UConn a B1G invite as well as back-pay for what he calls "the biggest mistake of my life," but fails to elaborate.

Two days later the UConn basketball program gets suspended for a two years because El-Amin was two minutes late for one class back in September. Our titles are retroactively awarded to Syracuse.

I hate all the negativeity on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom