#24 in new AP Poll | Page 2 | The Boneyard

#24 in new AP Poll

Reaction Score
I dont know whats going on with the rest of the country but it seems voters really seem to like us this season. Hope they know something many of us dont.
They like our defense and they like our name. They also think Hurley is a good coach, mostly because he is still new and he has a big name. In two more years they will be a lot more critical of him.

For now, the computers say we are good and that’s probably the first or second best way to justify your votes. I’d refer to them more than anything else if I were a voter.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I would’nt call them winners until they’ve actually won something that matters. That goes for them and their coach

Come on. What is with the UConn "small man" attitude toward PC. I don't get it. They have exactly what this UConn team has lacked, a very clutch team that makes plays when the need to and wins games. Is that "luck" as Kenpom calls it? Or is it experienced, well coached players who execute and make few mistakes. PC isn't beating itself. It doesn't have the self-inflicted problems UConn has. Nor is it as good as UConn when we're playing our best, but we don't manage that more than a few minutes at a time. They are a tough out.

Reaction Score
Because they’re winners. They ain’t the best team on the floor in 1/2 these games, but they win the games somehow. I respect the hell out of it more than 1/2 the teams whose metics are better. They could be on a path for being a first round high seed upset. They could also win 3 or 4. Neither would shock me, but if I was a peecee fan I’d be enjoying the ride into March.
"The whole is greater than the sum of the parts." That's the sign of a great coach.

Reaction Score
Come on. What is with the UConn "small man" attitude toward PC. I don't get it. They have exactly what this UConn team has lacked, a very clutch team that makes plays when the need to and wins games. Is that "luck" as Kenpom calls it? Or is it experienced, well coached players who execute and make few mistakes. PC isn't beating itself. It doesn't have the self-inflicted problems UConn has. Nor is it as good as UConn when we're playing our best, but we don't manage that more than a few minutes at a time. They are a tough out.
They may be a "tough out" this season, but that doesn't negate the fact that Cooley is in his 16th year as a Head Coach and has exactly one NCAA tournament win TOTAL in all those years. By any objective measure that's pretty underwhelming. PC may make some noise this season, and if so it will be their most successful season in a long, long time.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Providence College makes some noise this year, it’s good gorgeous the conference. Hopefully we make a deeper run of course

Reaction Score
It’s no “syndrome”. I wouldn’t call anyone in our program a “winner” yet either. You’re overthinking it. I order to be a winner in my eyes you have to actually win something of significance. Let’s not forget, this is roughly the same roster outside of 2 guys who has stumbled down the stretch the last 2-3 season. Forgive me for not being sold on them as “winners” yet. They’re good. I’m comfortable stopping there.

Now them boys over there at Nova are winners. There’s a stark difference

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
I dont know whats going on with the rest of the country but it seems voters really seem to like us this season. Hope they know something many of us dont.
From a broad perspective UCONN has a good record in a very good league.

My guess is that most of the voters aren’t watching the games to see how good/poorly we played. They just see the record and the scoreboard and have an overhead understanding about the talent on the team. #24 feels pretty accurate

Reaction Score
From a broad perspective UCONN has a good record in a very good league.

My guess is that most of the voters aren’t watching the games to see how good/poorly we played. They just see the record and the scoreboard and have an overhead understanding about the talent on the team. #24 feels pretty accurate
24 seems pretty fair. If we dropped the last game we wouldn’t smell the top 25 again until next year. That was a critical win because we have some uphill games in front of us.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It’s no “syndrome”. I wouldn’t call anyone in our program a “winner” yet either. You’re overthinking it. I order to be a winner in my eyes you have to actually win something of significance. Let’s not forget, this is roughly the same roster outside of 2 guys who has stumbled down the stretch the last 2-3 season. Forgive me for not being sold on them as “winners” yet. They’re good. I’m comfortable stopping there.

Now them boys over there at Nova are winners. There’s a stark difference
In any given season you have a new team. I give no team any credit for what prior teams at that school did. None. The coach is a constant, so yes, Wright gets credit and Cooley doesn't. But in terms of "winning something", the things a team can win are games. PC wins games. Hence they are "winners".

Reaction Score
In any given season you have a new team. I give no team any credit for what prior teams at that school did. None. The coach is a constant, so yes, Wright gets credit and Cooley doesn't. But in terms of "winning something", the things a team can win are games. PC wins games. Hence they are "winners".
Except when you have players on your team who have won something at said school. No one on PC has won anything. Nova is a team full of players and coaches who have won championships at this level. They’re winners. PC has yet to prove they can do that

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
You didnt answer my question. Have you watched either of them play?
Murray, yes. Wyoming, no. But just for you, ill watch a Wyoming game tonight. Just looked at their record. They have 5/6 wins by 2 points against bum teams and the one time they played anyone decent, they got buried by 30 by Arizona.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga, the #1 team in the country, is playing in a glorified high school gym right now at Pepperdine. They’ve got to get out of the WCC.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga, the #1 team in the country, is playing in a glorified high school gym right now at Pepperdine. They’ve got to get out of the WCC.
Counterpoint: taking a somewhat luxury trip from Spokane to Malibu every February is a pretty good selling point

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom