22 Seasons and For the 1st Time Just Unenthused | Page 3 | The Boneyard

22 Seasons and For the 1st Time Just Unenthused

Reaction Score
I’ve been with program since 98 buying season tickets, and religiously enjoying UConn football game days. I have always been hopeful (even when you shouldn’t be) and excited coming into a new season. But for some reason this year, I am having trouble even trying to care. Is it the lost year? The lack of progress with RE? Going Indy? Anybody else feel the same way? Even through PP, Red Pants, and RE2 season 1 and 2, the belief was there. I don’t get it.
You remind me of a guy who buys a losing stock and faithfully holds it for 20 years then finally says enough is enough and sells it, only to see it rise 65% after finally selling it.

Reaction Score
You remind me of a guy who buys a losing stock and faithfully holds it for 20 years then finally says enough is enough and sells it, only to see it rise 65% after finally selling it.
I wouldn’t call UCONN a losing stock. It was a hot stock for a while, but it was poorly mismanaged and is now GE.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t call UCONN a losing stock. It was a hot stock for a while, but it was poorly mismanaged and is now GE.
If you’re talking about UConn football, which is what my reply referred to, then I have to say I love your optimism.

Reaction Score
If you’re talking about UConn football, which is what my reply referred to, then I have to say I love your optimism.
I am not optimistic on GE or UCONN football. Just saying at one time, the sky was the limit for UCONN football. It wasn’t one thing that got the program to where it is today. It was a perfect storm of truly horrendous decisions year after year, culminating in our independent status.

Reaction Score
I am not optimistic on GE or UCONN football.
Neither am I which is why I compared UConn football to a losing stock. I wouldn’t buy any stock right now, much less GE, though I would buy the TZA that shorts the Russell.

Reaction Score
For the emos, all we need is the right coach. Connecticut is not Kansas.

Reaction Score
For the emos, all we need is the right coach. Connecticut is not Kansas.

UConn must scour the portal....or recruit a heck of a lot better.....when 126 teams have higher rated 2020 recruit classes (247 composite)...it will take recruiting to become relevant.

It's recruit, recruit, recruit.

Reaction Score
I’ve been with program since 98 buying season tickets, and religiously enjoying UConn football game days. I have always been hopeful (even when you shouldn’t be) and excited coming into a new season. But for some reason this year, I am having trouble even trying to care. Is it the lost year? The lack of progress with RE? Going Indy? Anybody else feel the same way? Even through PP, Red Pants, and RE2 season 1 and 2, the belief was there. I don’t get it.
Yup.

Reaction Score
Not playing for a conference title may have something to do with it. But with the NFL draft starting tomorrow we are starting to look to next year football wise.. As the month of July winds down I think people will start to get excited to get back into watching Husky football.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
It’s apathy and it’s impossible to escape unless you’re super close to the program and / or players or you’re completely blind. It’s great that those folks are convinced that “this time it’s different” but forgive me if I can’t believe in it until I see it.

Reaction Score
I'm actually incredibly excited for this season. Used to work for the team and the past 5 years or so of absolutely garbage football really desensitized me. I'm so excited to be Independent.

Yale, Holy Cross, UMass? 3 wins.
Army? Triple option is fake football, not scared.
Purdue? Might be worst team in the Big Ten.
Vanderbilt? Worst team in the SEC.
Fresno, Wyoming, Middle Tennessee? Might have better rosters, no clue. But there's nothing scary about these programs.
Clemson, UCF. Houston? They'll probably beat us by about 100-150 combined points but we may have a winning season for the first time in a decade.

I think we can make a bowl and not be a joke.

TJT

Reaction Score
If you are so unenthused right now, I can only imagine your feelings in a few years after actually competing as an independent.

Reaction Score
UConn must scour the portal....or recruit a heck of a lot better.....when 126 teams have higher rated 2020 recruit classes (247 composite)...it will take recruiting to become relevant.

We need the right coach to pull in the right recruits. We somehow have Dan Orlovsky as a prominent NFL commentator now, which is huge.

Reaction Score

This. We’re not doing Jack unless we get decent talent here. It’ll be up to RE to coach them up, but the transfer portal hasn’t been much so far.

Reaction Score
44 bowls.....

A bowl bid is probable with 6 wins, and not out of the question with 5.
In the alternative universe, merit means nothing. Nobody is left behind. Every little leaguer gets a medal or trophy, every kid who takes the test gets an "A," every Pope is assured of sainthood, everyone gets a check, and every team with a losing record gets a bowl bid.

Reaction Score
the problem with the Stock thing ... it is far beyond most of your grasp. You can buy & sell daily

This is the retail center - to use my world - that is sitting at a fairly interesting, crossroads location. Great access to Interstate and the urban core. It just lost the anchor grocer. The regional usual suspect retail side shops then left. You have the barber, 3 local restaurants, 2 banks one on a pad, Verizon and the other pad has Wendy's. The world changed in the last 15 years. And BC screwed us regionally.

We are the only REGIONAL State University that does what we do. Sure you can say UMASS ... but that is silly; it just is a pale weak struggling concept. WE were built for the highest competition; they weren't. Benedict proved that he can structure a good schedule; one that fits. And maybe God gives us a different opportunity; don't count on it. WE ARE the State U of New England.

What do you do?

Some voted to give up. But you don't. You grab the attributes you have and create something competitive. In my SC mindset ... you have a 60,000 square foot building in a irreplaceable location. The community hasn't moved; same neighborhood, same market power in those consumers. And YOU cannot walk away ... you're vested. (plus those personal guarantees on the loan)

Reaction Score
I'm really excited for this season. For me, OBE > Independent > American. I simply did not care about any of the teams in the American. It was really hard for me to get excited about games while UConn was in that conference. Now we have some actual name-brand teams on our schedule again, and I'm excited to watch it play out.

Reaction Score
I'm really excited for this season. For me, OBE > Independent > American. I simply did not care about any of the teams in the American. It was really hard for me to get excited about games while UConn was in that conference. Now we have some actual name-brand teams on our schedule again, and I'm excited to watch it play out.

we should PLAY Rutgers. we should PLAY Temple. we should PLAY Navy. Football and OUR Brand is about Regional contests. WE are more tuned into Florida than any other southern locations merely because of the ties of generations of family/neighbors who went there ... and then our own travel. The correct American - which apparently we didn't have leverage to craft - would be Temple, Navy and 2 other Northeast programs PLUS the two Floridas (and frankly, I don't really distinguish USF or UCF from FIU or FAU). And maybe a few games against the Western. When we got left in the wasteland ... and OUR basketball was swirling down the toilet ... that was it.

OUR new Benedict scheduling is almost what the Ideal would be in the American. With more P5 - because we are a Name State U. PLUS Yale (now that they are a little better).

We - including all that read this and the 10s of thousands attending UCONN games since 2004 - need success this year and next. It is a new day. RE must produce this year.

Reaction Score
I haven't bought season tix for awhile now. But to put the situation in perspective, getting out and doing a bit of tailgating in the cool crisp air of fall and then watching a game regardless of how it turns out is not a bad gig. Expectations are zero at the moment. So with that being said, we will go to a couple or three games. And if they start playing better than the last few years, then hey, a couple or three more. Score is not quite as important as the quality of play, but they do keep score so that will be a factor too. In summary, we haven't been emotionally invested for quite awhile now, but we will go to some games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom