-22 against UCF over the final 10 minutes or so? | The Boneyard

-22 against UCF over the final 10 minutes or so?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
up 17 and lose by 5? i didn't really think we were a top 5 team, but seriously? lots to work on of course, and like JC, i didn't really think we played anywhere close to our ranking, but did anyone see that coming?

Reaction Score
We still seem to have some to have issues when things aren't going well, when you need to make a couple plays to break the downward spiral. I thought we were going to do it at one point today when Lamb hit the deep three, and then we had a stop and Napier had what could have been an "and-one" to put us up eight, but it was called a charge (could've gone either way - the defender leaned a little, and Shabazz did initiate contact, but I was annoyed because the ref who called it was on the sideline, and that is NOT his call). But then, UCF kept coming and we wilted, and we couldn't break a zone against a team that doesn't like to play zone. It was disappointing, but we'll see what the 10-15 minutes a game Boatright gives us can do for our backcourt. Maybe fresher legs on defense would have been able to do a better job at keeping them out of the paint down the stretch (or maybe Boatright would have been our best defensive match-up on Jordan, who should not be that tough for us to guard).

Reaction Score
The offense really went south. They held UCF to 40% from the floor and under 70 points but still lost. The offense was not bailed out by all the 3s they've been hitting. Hopefully this is a wake-up call for them to execute better on D, like figuring out how to attack the 2-3 zone.

There's a lot of ball to be played and time for them to develop into a great team. Right now, they're a talented team trying to find their way.

Reaction Score
Donny Marshall summed it up best. This team right now has NO leadership. Better to hear it from him than an anonymous message board poster. There are no direct quotes to the no leadership theory but the strong inference was there from his comments when he discussed leadership this afternoon. His comments on Ryan Boatright were on point and well articulated also regarding his suspension ect ect ect...UConn needs Boatright desperately. Napier will be very inconsistent this year but will have his shining moments against top competition also. JMHO

Reaction Score
Donny Marshall summed it up best. This team right now has NO leadership. Better to hear it from him than an anonymous message board poster. There are no direct quotes to the no leadership theory but the strong inference was there from his comments when he discussed leadership this afternoon. His comments on Ryan Boatright were on point and well articulated also regarding his suspension ect ect ect...UConn needs Boatright desperately. Napier will be very inconsistent this year but will have his shining moments against top competition also. JMHO

I think it's a very easy cop out to think Boatright would be the answer to every problem this team has. He will help no doubt. But we did not need Boatright to protect a 17 pt 2nd half lead against UCF. If we did, than we have a lot more problems than we think.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think it's a very easy cop out to think Boatright would be the answer to every problem this team has. He will help no doubt. But we did not need Boatright to protect a 17 pt 2nd half lead against UCF. If we did, than we have a lot more problems than we think.
that was my thought too. the staff needs to go thru the tapes if they need any more info on why the game went south. lots of stuff to work on. Boat will help, but we didn't lose that lead with Bazz on the bench.

Reaction Score
The offense really went south. They held UCF to 40% from the floor and under 70 points but still lost. The offense was not bailed out by all the 3s they've been hitting. Hopefully this is a wake-up call for them to execute better on D, like figuring out how to attack the 2-3 zone.

There's a lot of ball to be played and time for them to develop into a great team. Right now, they're a talented team trying to find their way.
Understand blaming it on the offense but UCF did score on 16 of its last 20 possessions. Calhouns comments after the game was mainly not happy with their defense.

Reaction Score
Donny Marshall summed it up best. This team right now has NO leadership. Better to hear it from him than an anonymous message board poster. There are no direct quotes to the no leadership theory but the strong inference was there from his comments when he discussed leadership this afternoon. His comments on Ryan Boatright were on point and well articulated also regarding his suspension ect ect ect...UConn needs Boatright desperately. Napier will be very inconsistent this year but will have his shining moments against top competition also.
JMHO

I'm sorry, but who the hell are you, or Donny Marshall for that matter, to say that this team has no leadership. Those kinds of comments just annoy me. The only people who have ANY idea about the leadership on this team are those who around the team EVERY day. Not you or Donny Marshall.

Reaction Score
BTW, I'm ssorry if I came across the wrong way, but I had to get that off my chest.

Reaction Score
It's fair to question the leadership when we're only five games in and our junior-captain is already popping off about his playing time. And of course, the loss of Kemba. I think Shabazz is/can be a leader though.

Reaction Score
It's fair to question the leadership when we're only five games in and our junior-captain is already popping off about his playing time. And of course, the loss of Kemba. I think Shabazz is/can be a leader though.

What does that have to do with leadership? That's just a guy who wants to play. I'd much rather have him wanting to play more than wanting to play less.

Reaction Score
What does that have to do with leadership? That's just a guy who wants to play. I'd much rather have him wanting to play more than wanting to play less.

I agree, but complaining about playing time is never a good call. He's gotta bring the type of intensity he brought today every game. So far the minutes he's gotten, he's earned, so don't talk about it, just play harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom