2025 Ohio State game canceled | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2025 Ohio State game canceled

Reaction Score
The players deserve a chance to measure themselves against the best. And we shouldn't lose 59-0 against anyone.

Besides if you're shooting for the playoff, which we should be no matter how remote the chances, you need to beat an Ohio State or Clemson to have a chance. And you can't beat 'em if you don't play 'em.

And honestly, the cash helps.
I thought we hold onto to the win at Clemson after the opening kickoff. It just barely got away from us

Reaction Score
we "shouldn't" - agreed.

and yet...

these point differentials are absolutely unacceptable for a university of our stature. Those should be Austin Peay, or South Alabama scores vs Tennessee.

Notice that i'm not even saying WIN against these big boys yet, but it is an affront to our brand to be losing by that much to these top programs. IMO losing 28-21 may not kill us at the conference realignment discussion table, but 59-3 is the mark of death, that confirms we are an unworthy FCS program posing as an FBS program, and it will make the P4 conversation a non-starter.

And that affects how much we can pay Geno & Dan Hurley, etc. I'm not as worried about Geno, but i'm very worried about DH - he can only say no to other wealthier teams, so many times.

I am confident now more than ever that Jim Mora knows this, after his press conference rant about NIL last year. If we still get absolutely blown out by a middle-of-the-pack B1G or ACC team in 2024, we may have to start to seriously question the state of the program and its leadership. Love HCJM, but at that point it'd be a conversation worth having.

Betting no conversation necessary

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
shame the huskies players will miss out experiencing a P4 road environment. also a bummer to their athletic department. as you may know, many fcs programs use these “body bag” games as a source of funding for their other sports.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
shame the huskies players will miss out experiencing a P4 road environment. also a bummer to their athletic department. as you may know, many fcs programs use these “body bag” games as a source of funding for their other sports.
Kind of like a mid major basketball team. You would know, right?

Reaction Score
I'm not too upset about Ohio State canceling. Does this no good to lose 59 to 3. If were able to replace it with a mid-level P4 game that would be great. If not, we will have to scour the MAC, AAC, CUSA, or Sunbelt for a game.

Having a winnable game would be more important. We definitely need to put several winning seasons together to be ready for the next round of conference realignment if and when it happens.

Reaction Score
The players deserve a chance to measure themselves against the best. And we shouldn't lose 59-0 against anyone.

Besides if you're shooting for the playoff, which we should be no matter how remote the chances, you need to beat an Ohio State or Clemson to have a chance. And you can't beat 'em if you don't play 'em.

And honestly, the cash helps.
This sounds like the farmer who entered his mule in the Kentucky Derby thinking.

Reaction Score
This sounds like the farmer who entered his mule in the Kentucky Derby thinking.
There is nothing wrong with playing an occasional game like this. The money is good and the players would like to play in an environment like tOSU. Did you share with the folks that you don't get the allure of playing in MSG in the BET? Maybe we can schedule away games with other mules like LA-Munroe. There is a trip Everybody would want to go. Ever been?

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
does the B12 really have many P4 environments? Maybe KState and TTU. Beyond that, not much to get excited about.
when you play football at the lower levels like uconn, any of the 16 big 12 (power conference) sites might be the most fans any of those players play in front of!

hopefully they get the game replaced and still get that once in a lifetime opportunity.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
when you play football at the lower levels like uconn, any of the 16 big 12 (power conference) sites might be the most fans any of those players play in front of!

hopefully they get the game replaced and still get that once in a lifetime opportunity.
I was kind of looking forward to visiting the one program that the state of Ohio views as significant.

I remember being both impressed bu tOSU's reach and feeling pity for the victim of their reach a number of years ago. Cincinnati was having a very good season (Kelly was still HC) and a WR (Binns?) went into the stands after an overthrow and banged into a little kid. They did a closeup on the kid and basically everyone in the shot (almost an entire section), including the lid was decked out in scarlet and silver (OSU gear for some of us). I couldn't help but feel bad for the (few) fans of a program who was having what was likely their most significant home gsme to date yet those in the audience were showing their allegiance to the proverbial elephant in the room.

I remember thinking that it would be like if Central Connecticut had a season where they actually were ranked and in a nationally televised home game, most of the crowd was wearng UConn gear. But I can understanding that being the result as most Central fans would also root for UConn as it would be the path to seeing a winning program.

Reaction Score
Let’s first put more than 6 wins together against g5 and low tier p4 opponents and then worry about scheduling the top programs in the country.

The goal right now should be to make the program look good. If we think we could put up a fight against OSU then fine, but nobody seriously believes that we could.

Reaction Score
Let’s first put more than 6 wins together against g5 and low tier p4 opponents and then worry about scheduling the top programs in the country.

The goal right now should be to make the program look good. If we think we could put up a fight against OSU then fine, but nobody seriously believes that we could.
unless we need the michigan/tennessee/ohio state money SO BAD that we're willing to sacrifice our dignity and the husky brand, to college a $2M check, minus costs. this is a pick-your-poison situation to the athletic dept, i feel like.

play easier games, maybe win, get no respect from P4 selection committees.
play harder games, get blown out, get no respect from P4 selection committees.

my goal is to get into a real conference. Does playing OSU/Michigan help that? absolutely - but only if the score is respectable, IMO. I can live with losing 35-21 to Michigan. I'd have to think that so can Big 12 presidents.

I guess my point is... we should aim to play the ohio state's of the world as soon as possible. we need to push upward in our opponent caliber. But until we are confident the game will be competitive, we should steer clear and try our best to find the money elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Money aside, I don't see any benefit to playing them. Some measuring sticks are better left unused.

Iowa or Michigan State would be a more useful opponent for a re-building program. That way, it's at worst a valuable learning experience with an outside shot for better if everything goes perfectly.
Money aside? I don't see any upside to this.

Reaction Score
There is nothing wrong with playing an occasional game like this. The money is good and the players would like to play in an environment like tOSU. Did you share with the folks that you don't get the allure of playing in MSG in the BET? Maybe we can schedule away games with other mules like LA-Munroe. There is a trip Everybody would want to go. Ever been?
No, I agree. Play one occasionally is fine. But for the short term we ought to be targeting Illinois and Northwestern and Rutgers. Not Ohio State and Michigan.

FWIW, I admit I don’t get all warm and fuzzy about Madison Square Garden. It’s fine but calling it the Mecca is pretty pretentious. Believing it is just silly. As a pro hoop arena that is beyond ridiculous. TD Garden and it’s predecessor have both seen more championships. The old Boston Garden was a dump but it was a legendary dump. The MSG was were first round series were played. As a college venue it was not that historic either, unless you count the NIT. It lacked the history and character of places like the Palestra, Hinkle, Phog Allen, even Cameron. You go west of the Hudson or south of Jersey City, north of Enfield and nobody gets all gooey about it like UConn fans do. In fact forget the location. Actually, Nobody anywhere fetishizes it quite the way UConn fans do. Maybe I’m not so sentimental but I was embarrassed to see a grown man cry over going to the NEWBIE because he could go back to MSG. That happened. Yuck.

Reaction Score
No, I agree. Play one occasionally is fine. But for the short term we ought to be targeting Illinois and Northwestern and Rutgers. Not Ohio State and Michigan.

FWIW, I admit I don’t get all warm and fuzzy about Madison Square Garden. It’s fine but calling it the Mecca is pretty pretentious. Believing it is just silly. As a pro hoop arena that is beyond ridiculous. TD Garden and it’s predecessor have both seen more championships. The old Boston Garden was a dump but it was a legendary dump. The MSG was were first round series were played. As a college venue it was not that historic either, unless you count the NIT. It lacked the history and character of places like the Palestra, Hinkle, Phog Allen, even Cameron. You go west of the Hudson or south of Jersey City, north of Enfield and nobody gets all gooey about it like UConn fans do. In fact forget the location. Actually, Nobody anywhere fetishizes it quite the way UConn fans do. Maybe I’m not so sentimental but I was embarrassed to see a grown man cry over going to the NEWBIE because he could go back to MSG. That happened. Yuck.
Liked the crying story

Reaction Score

Well, I love the a Big East, so I don’t fault anyone for shedding a nostalgic tear about returning. It’s been a great few years being back in the conference.

MSG isn’t just the Mecca because of basketball games played there. It’s because of all of the other huge events that took place there that just add to the mystique. NYC has also produced a massive number of great players over the last 100 years and NY street ball is legendary. It’s the big picture. MSG is the world’s greatest arena, in the greatest city in the world.

Reaction Score
So, to summarize bummer kids won’t get a P4 game (they will) but it’s a “body bag “ game. So, what’s the shame in your mind - no trip to show or no chance to get annihilated

Reaction Score

FWIW the football team doesn't play in MSG. Take your childish wining about MSG to the basketball board (again).

Reaction Score
Not really. It's a buy game. Personally, we should never play a buy game again.

6 P4 H/H
5 G5 H/H
1 FCS H

That should be the schedule going forward.

We will and really have to continue to take buy games, probably once every two years. It's one of the biggest revenue sources for the program. Your schedule, besides being totally unrealistic, is a great way to ensure no bowl games ever.

Reaction Score
Conference expansion playing havoc with scheduling. I never liked the idea of non conference games being scheduled so many years in advance. Too many things change. I think the B1G is only guaranteeing 1 rival game per season. Everything else will be on a rotating or semi rotating basis. Rutgers 2024 has USC-UCLA -Washington on schedule. But off the schedule are their annual games against Ohio ST-Penn ST-Michigan. Go figure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom