2025 Ohio State game canceled | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2025 Ohio State game canceled

Reaction Score
Money aside, I don't see any benefit to playing them. Some measuring sticks are better left unused.

Iowa or Michigan State would be a more useful opponent for a re-building program. That way, it's at worst a valuable learning experience with an outside shot for better if everything goes perfectly.

I don't see the point in playing a team you think will be top 10 ahead of time. Just no. Top 25, sure.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Big 12 plays 9 league games so this makes sense. Gotta drop a few more now too

Reaction Score
Well there goes our chance at qualifying for the playoffs in 2025. lol
You Dont Understand Marlon Brando GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

Reaction Score
Not really. It's a buy game. Personally, we should never play a buy game again.

6 P4 H/H
5 G5 H/H
1 FCS H

That should be the schedule going forward.
i agree with the principle, but i wonder if we are in a financial position yet, to let go of buy games.

It sucks to lose 59-0 to a powerhouse (IMO our brand shouldn't be losing like that to any school, P4 powerhouse or not), but $2M is not chump change, even after deducting the travel/hotel/meal costs.

My guess is we could still use the money for the new few years, or maybe forever till we get picked up by a legit conference...if we get picked up.

Reaction Score

The players deserve a chance to measure themselves against the best. And we shouldn't lose 59-0 against anyone.

Besides if you're shooting for the playoff, which we should be no matter how remote the chances, you need to beat an Ohio State or Clemson to have a chance. And you can't beat 'em if you don't play 'em.

And honestly, the cash helps.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
So we took less money to cancel the best game on our schedule? What am I missing here?

Reaction Score
Would have gotten our backsides whipped, but there isn’t a football player I know who wouldn’t love the opportunity to step into battle. I feel bad for the kids.

Reaction Score
And we shouldn't lose 59-0 against anyone.
we "shouldn't" - agreed.

and yet...

these point differentials are absolutely unacceptable for a university of our stature. Those should be Austin Peay, or South Alabama scores vs Tennessee.

Notice that i'm not even saying WIN against these big boys yet, but it is an affront to our brand to be losing by that much to these top programs. IMO losing 28-21 may not kill us at the conference realignment discussion table, but 59-3 is the mark of death, that confirms we are an unworthy FCS program posing as an FBS program, and it will make the P4 conversation a non-starter.

And that affects how much we can pay Geno & Dan Hurley, etc. I'm not as worried about Geno, but i'm very worried about DH - he can only say no to other wealthier teams, so many times.

I am confident now more than ever that Jim Mora knows this, after his press conference rant about NIL last year. If we still get absolutely blown out by a middle-of-the-pack B1G or ACC team in 2024, we may have to start to seriously question the state of the program and its leadership. Love HCJM, but at that point it'd be a conversation worth having.

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
You would think some of those’d scum bag SEC fb schools would be chomping on the bit to avenge their men’s bb teams getting their keysters kicked by Hurley & Co.

Maybe they all remember us schooling South Carolina in that bowl game
After living in the south for a few years, they don’t care at all. And they definitely don’t remember that Papa John’s Bowl.

You say the words Papa John’s and they think to last Sunday’s dinner.

Reaction Score
we "shouldn't" - agreed.

and yet...

these point differentials are absolutely unacceptable for a university of our stature. Those should be Austin Peay, or South Alabama scores vs Tennessee.

Notice that i'm not even saying WIN against these big boys yet, but it is an affront to our brand to be losing by that much to these top programs. IMO losing 28-21 may not kill us at the conference realignment discussion table, but 59-3 is the mark of death, that confirms we are an unworthy FCS program posing as an FBS program, and it will make the P4 conversation a non-starter.

And that affects how much we can pay Geno & Dan Hurley, etc. I'm not as worried about Geno, but i'm very worried about DH - he can only say no to other wealthier teams, so many times.

I am confident now more than ever that Jim Mora knows this, after his press conference rant about NIL last year. If we still get absolutely blown out by a middle-of-the-pack B1G or ACC team in 2024, we may have to start to seriously question the state of the program and its leadership. Love HCJM, but at that point it'd be a conversation worth having.

To be fair he stated UConn shouldn't ever lose 59-0 to anyone.

Reaction Score
It was the date. tOSU did not want a midyear ooc opponent.
I agree this is the most likely root cause. OSU wants an ooc game to start the season. Mid Oct does them no good.

Reaction Score

6 P4 H/H
5 G5 H/H
1 FCS H

That should be the schedule going forward.
Yeah that's ideal, but the P4 are going to go to a 9 game conference schedule eventually which means UConn is playing 1 maybe 2 of those schools per year. So going forward, unless by some mircale we get the golden ticket in next round of realignment, all we'll be seeing is G5 schools.

Reaction Score
Those mega-conferences are always expanding so fewer non-conference slates available.

Reaction Score
So we took less money to cancel the best game on our schedule? What am I missing here?
More than likely they(Ohio State) were cancelling no matter what, so we had no choice. Would Mora/Benedict want to cancel for a better shot at a W? Don't know that one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom