2025: Badara Diakite Offer | The Boneyard

2025: Badara Diakite Offer

Reaction Score
Both Rivals and On3 report that UConn offered Diakite yesterday.
His ranking has dropped considerably this past year.
Does the staff see this as an opportunity to get someone with a lot of potential and to possibly fill a position or is it a move to put pressure on another recruit to commit ?
Bundalo is the obvious first choice for a forward commit.

Reaction Score
Like it - with the added roster spots, fill in with a developmental big that has upside ala Youssef.

I don’t see this as a pressure move, I see it as fill a scholly with a kid you can develop move. I see no impact on the other recruits at all, in particular Bundalo. Bundalo is every bit a non traditional stretch 4. He will be a 4 that spaces the floor and takes 3s. I have to think he is high chance to come because few staffs will know how to use him to his max, as totally fits the euro ball mold.

JerseyAlum

St. Anthony's Fan; UConn tennis alum
Reaction Score
Local kid - likely more a 4 than a 5 but depends on what we see -he was #16 as of June 2023 but has fallen considerably. Seems like him an Sanogo (both from Mali) have met and probably why we offered him. Still very raw, so more of a project.

Reaction Score
Any idea why he has dropped? He was being hyped.

His performance hasn't been good. Being ranked 120 composite is generous right now. His rate of improvement isn't close to his peers. Stopped growing too. He's still a high-major D1 player, but not the top-50 talent we saw his sophomore year.

I kind of doubt the offer is real. Or, if it is, it's highly contingent on no/low playing time.

Reaction Score
Why no take a chance on a player with upside as long as he understands the situation…that he won’t play for a year or 2.

Reaction Score
We can take both. High level guys want to play, We currently have an open spot and schollys are going to 15

Yes, but what type of player do you think is going to sign on to be scholly 13, 14, and 15? I'd really doubt any high major D1 guy is going to sign on to not play.

Reaction Score
Yes, but what type of player do you think is going to sign on to be scholly 13, 14, and 15? I'd really doubt any high major D1 guy is going to sign on to not play.
The kind that realizes he needs to develop and that UConn is good at developing players?

If he doesn't become a UConn-level player, he could always take that development and transfer to a more appropriate school.

Reaction Score
The kind that realizes he needs to develop and that UConn is good at developing players?

If he doesn't become a UConn-level player, he could always take that development and transfer to a more appropriate school.
Yep… or the same player could go to UMass or Penn St or somewhere, prb make more in NIL, play, and then bounce up. I just don’t think a high D1 guy is going to go with the mentality of sitting to develop vs playing.

Reaction Score

My point is the above poster made it sound like with 15 schollys we can just take every high major
Guy we recruit.Those scholarships, if we even fill them, would be flyers on projects not high major guys.

Reaction Score
Yep… or the same player could go to UMass or Penn St or somewhere, prb make more in NIL, play, and then bounce up. I just don’t think a high D1 guy is going to go with the mentality of sitting to develop vs playing.
But that little big more NIL at UMass stays at that level after not developing. Going to UConn and developing into a quality player could lead to not only more NIL money down the line, but also professional basketball down the line.

Plus as a Connecticut kid, it isn't out of the question that there wouldn't be NIL opportunities (actually NIL) that aren't available to others.

And, of course, Diakite doesn't have to accept the offer. That doesn't change what the UConn offer entails (which is quality development at the start of his college career as with to Singare).

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
We could obviously do worse for a roster filler. Kid gets to practice with UConn for a year before moving down a level. Seems like a win/win to me.

Reaction Score
No one is expecting at top 30 guy to come and sit the bench for 1-2 years. It’s about guys who need more time…but have the potential to maybe be something in time. If not they transfer. Guys that started playing later in life or from smaller programs.

We have one of those guys backing up Reed/Samson. The other guy left for Richmond. If we are able to do it now, we can do it easier with 15 schollys

Reaction Score
But that little big more NIL at UMass stays at that level after not developing. Going to UConn and developing into a quality player could lead to not only more NIL money down the line, but also professional basketball down the line.

Plus as a Connecticut kid, it isn't out of the question that there wouldn't be NIL opportunities (actually NIL) that aren't available to others.

And, of course, Diakite doesn't have to accept the offer. That doesn't change what the UConn offer entails (which is quality development at the start of his college career as with to Singare).
Is Umass considered high D1 anymore? Aren’t they in the MAC now?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom