2024 Recruiting: Tarris Reed Jr. | Page 19 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Tarris Reed Jr.

Reaction Score
Impressive footwork and first step burst.
The highlights were Sanogo like. I stopped watching the my bookie when the guy said he’s not better than Samson Johnson. Blocking shots, rebounding and offensive moves to the basket?

Reaction Score
My Bookie makes some good points as Reed does have some issues. He had the worst +/- on Michigan the past 2 years and he was ranked as the #1392 player by Evan Miya stats. The bet is that Hurley and staff can develop him and put him in a better situation to succeed.

Look at some past UConn players and see their first year development under Hurley based on Evan Miya stats:

Tarris Reed: ranked #1392 at Michigan

Cam Spencer: ranked #1130 at Rutgers improved to #10 at UConn

Tristen Newton: ranked #798 at East Carolina improved to #28 at UConn

Hassan Diarra: ranked #358 at Texas A&M improved to #164 at UConn

RJ Cole: ranked #592 at Howard improved to #68 at UConn

Tyrese Martin: ranked #434 at Rhode Island improved to #147 at UConn

In Hurley we trust!

Reaction Score
My Bookie makes some good points as Reed does have some issues. He had the worst +/- on Michigan the past 2 years and he was ranked as the #1392 player by Evan Miya stats. The bet is that Hurley and staff can develop him and put him in a better situation to succeed.

Look at some past UConn players and see their first year development under Hurley based on Evan Miya stats:

In Hurley we trust!

This is an excellent way to measure the level of development and program sustemic quality that I've not seen before

Reaction Score
After watching that highlight reel, I'm impressed. He's got Sanogo-like footwork at near-Samson quickness. What's not to like?

Our coaching staff is going to help him develop into the hub of our offense. Imagine Reed on a screen-and-roll -- few bigs will be able to stay with him. He's going to be a terrific weapon. And with his strength and quickness, his defense and rebounding will improve. He'll be great on the hedge too. I love this signing, and I'm not as concerned about losing Clingan's interior defense anymore.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
In that Bookie vid, the host keeps harping on "mental lapses". Can anyone here really see DH going out of his way to get a 5 from the portal with chronic mental lapses to help run the most complicated offense in D1?

I certainly can't see DH doing that.

Reaction Score
Our SnC and player development expertise should have a major impact on Tarris over the next two years. Tons of talent to work with.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Greg is a Michigan fan. They sucked last year and he puts a lot of the blame on Reed. He is emotionally invested in his opinion so take it with a grain of salt.
Same clown who thought we'd have no answer for Boo Buie/Terrence Shannon Jr & said mid-season that Clingan wasn't very good, just very tall. His bad takes rival Goodman.

Reaction Score
After watching that highlight reel, I'm impressed. He's got Sanogo-like footwork at near-Samson quickness. What's not to like?

Our coaching staff is going to help him develop into the hub of our offense. Imagine Reed on a screen-and-roll -- few bigs will be able to stay with him. He's going to be a terrific weapon. And with his strength and quickness, his defense and rebounding will improve. He'll be great on the hedge too. I love this signing, and I'm not as concerned about losing Clingan's interior defense anymore.
I'm also bullish on Reed. The first clips I saw, I thought "Sanogo"(offense). The more I watched I thought his defense was going to be a huge addition as well. Can't wait for hoops practice(we may still have 1 or 2 additions??), but am not looking past Football season as a good time also!!

Reaction Score

In Hurley we trust!

Wow

Reaction Score
I think Tarris is starter quality , imperfect still needs to improve. In world with no Samson , he could easily be our starter. I predict Samson will win the spot , but I believe it’s up for grabs for the both of them. Center rotation will define UConn’s season and 3peat potential. I have the utmost confidence in Dan and Co with our Guards and Wings , whatever lineups and rotation they choose will be some the best in game. But if Reed and Samson flop ,so goes our season.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Yeah, Greg is a Michigan fan. They sucked last year and he puts a lot of the blame on Reed. He is emotionally invested in his opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

Blame Reed and not Howard. So idiotic

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Same clown who thought we'd have no answer for Boo Buie/Terrence Shannon Jr & said mid-season that Clingan wasn't very good, just very tall. His bad takes rival Goodman.

Is this guy AntG on twitter? Both are horrendous

Reaction Score
Make enough calls and you will eventually be right on a few. This guy has watched a lot more of a Reed than any of you.

Reed’s a project (closer to a Joey Cali than a Newton or Cam) and that’s ok because they already have Samson. If Reed’s a bust they can go portaling again next year.

Reaction Score
Make enough calls and you will eventually be right on a few. This guy has watched a lot more of a Reed than any of you.

Reed’s a project (closer to a Joey Cali than a Newton or Cam) and that’s ok because they already have Samson. If Reed’s a bust they can go portaling again next year.
Not going to be a bust, the closest to a bust he'll come is that in 2 years they might want to make a bust of him for Werth lobby!:)

Reaction Score

In Hurley we trust!

What this says is don't take Evan Miya seriously

Hassan was the 164th best player last year? Maybe this year, but I don't think anyone even here would say that last year

And Cam was the 1130th last year? His numbers were very similar to this year on a bad offensive team that played good defense

His analytics seem to be totally based on how good a team you played on. That would explain Reed.

Reaction Score
This guy is not to keen on Tarris Reed Jr. But he has been proving wrong before.

Yikes, basically saying he's a low-IQ, losing player. Well, our staff has the opportunity to make Juwan Howard look really bad next year lol

Edit: also made the comp that I did when watching his highlight videos -- poor man's Andre Drummond. If Hurley can get Reed to play intelligently, with the athletic attributes he already has, we could have something special. But, yes, there is big downside risk too.

Last edited:

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Yeah, Greg is a Michigan fan. They sucked last year and he puts a lot of the blame on Reed. He is emotionally invested in his opinion so take it with a grain a schitt ton of salt.
FIFY

Reaction Score
What this says is don't take Evan Miya seriously

Hassan was the 164th best player last year? Maybe this year, but I don't think anyone even here would say that last year

And Cam was the 1130th last year? His numbers were very similar to this year on a bad offensive team that played good defense

His analytics seem to be totally based on how good a team you played on. That would explain Reed.
BPR rankings are generally very good. Hass' defensive metrics are what ranks him highly. The poor Cam ranking was a serious outlier, the rare guy that was obviously good, rated highly in other metrics, and ranked poorly in BPR. He was a on a mediocre team and then had bad on/off splits, which contributed.

I wrote a post about it before the season.

Unfortunately for us/Reed, all his metrics are poor to bad, not just BPR. So we're going to need the change of scenery, coaching upgrade, and reduction in role to be a big difference... Which it very well might based on our recent track record.

Last edited:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

In Hurley we trust!

This is great.

There's a fantastic article on The Athletic how about Porzingis took his game to another level in Washington by fully embracing analytics. In a nutshell he was made to understand which plays worked for him and which didn't. For example, he's bad at shooting fadeaways and shooting after he's dribbled more than twice--so he simply eliminated that from his game. In Dallas, where neither nor Carlisle embraced analytics, they wrongly concluded he'd become bad at scoring in the post so he flatly stopped posting up.

I'm quite certain, based on what I've read,
that this staff is using the same type of data to determine what works and what doesn't for each player. It seems clear to me that Howard's staff did nothing of the sort. Reed was put in a position to fail and anyone who is citing his on/off as evidence of anything makes me think they didn't think very much before doing that.

As importantly as this staff's commitment to playing smart basketball is Reed's commitment to becoming better and his quotes tell me does have that fire (just like Mahaney's and McNeeley's quotes do about them). Takes two to tango.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Reed already has an NBA body and looks good athletically. Odds are he will be NBA ready in one or two years of Husky practices and games. Trust the staff. Kid is hungry to buy what Hurley is selling.
He wants to be challenged. We can certainly offer him that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom