2024 Recruiting: Tarris Reed Jr. | Page 8 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Tarris Reed Jr.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Yeah, so why was Samson nearly the starter over Karaban two years ago? I don't think we've really seen his whole game, Hurley keeps his players in their roles. Plus, there is the whole offseason here for SJ to work on his game. See what happens, I'm rooting for him.

The more likely answer is that Hurley was being deferential to the junior over a freshman by saying he was almost the starter.

Reaction Score
Yeah, so why was Samson nearly the starter over Karaban two years ago? I don't think we've really seen his whole game, Hurley keeps his players in their roles. Plus, there is the whole offseason here for SJ to work on his game. See what happens, I'm rooting for him.
Because Alex Karaban was injured the majority of the preseason

Reaction Score
Absolutely, if he can’t master at least that little push shot that oso ighadoro(sp?) from Marquette has, we’re all screwed. Did you see that move he made against Purdue similar to that? Think that’s the first time I saw him score without dunking. Give Samson and the coaching staff credit, he’ll be a different Husky by Nov 1 and even more different March 1 when he begins climbing “The Stairway to Seven”
The first game against St John's in Hartford he made a couple of push/pop shots in the lane

Reaction Score
I saw this scouting report from 247Sports from when he was a recruit 2 years ago. Sounds like he was going to be the next Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. I guess you can't always trust these scouting reports. They make everyone sound like the next All American.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Karaban was an incoming freshman who had yet to play in a college game/environment. I'm sure most all of us were surprised at just how quickly he adapted and became an integral part of the team. That said, I think Samson can get to starter level at some point.

Reaction Score
Two years ago at the beginning of the season SJ and Karaban were neck and neck for who would start at the 4. SJ got hurt, Karaban took over and SJ never made it back into the rotation. This past year SJ played out of position, Hurley using him as a backup game-changing 5. Next year, SJ will need to showcase some 4 man skills, perimeter/midrange shooting/short drives in the lane, if he wants to get a look at the draft. I'm thinking it's Hurley's responsibility to try and put his players in a position to succeed within the framework of the team and winning games, and Samson will now be a senior. It's a long offseason for developing players; maybe with Singare picking up some minutes as a backup 5, SJ might see some time at the 4.
I don’t understand how some of you people just watched the most beautiful offense in the sport and say “yeah you know what would be better? Playing a career 11% 3 point shooter at the 4”

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I don’t understand how some of you people just watched the most beautiful offense in the sport and say “yeah you know what would be better? Playing a career 11% 3 point shooter at the 4”
Could be those are the same people who believed Coach Hurley when he said Samson had wall potential.

Obviously Clingan showed massive potential as Adama's backup. But there were plenty of doubters as to whether he could be as effective as a starter with twice the # of minutes. Do we really know whether Samson has peaked or if he has another level to reach and more skills to showcase given an increased role?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I didn't think he was just talking shooting when he said "Who you saw this season is who he is" but maybe that's what he meant.

I doubt Samson becomes any sort of legit three point shooting option but I expect to see major improvements throughout his game. Look what Hassan became in his fourth season, he's a completely different player than what he was last season.
I am absolutely sure our staff will give him excellent advice and encouragement because there is nothing they would like more than to see him grow. He is an incredibly gifted athlete. He just has to really want this and just say "I need help." We have the resources to help if he is willing. That would be just great for him, his future and us. I hope he fills up the highlight reels next season :)

Reaction Score
K. What percentage is he shooting from 3 next year?
You said who we saw this year is who he is and that is absolutely not true. He’ll be shooting an occasional 3 at 30%. Not amazing. Pick and pop from 15 feet and some one dribble drives to the basket. More active all around and facing the basket.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I saw this scouting report from 247Sports from when he was a recruit 2 years ago. Sounds like he was going to be the next Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. I guess you can't always trust these scouting reports. They make everyone sound like the next All American.

Shows all lot more all around skills in this video. A lot more for he and the staff to work with than originally shown. Mr Reed just made a great decision and he has two years availability!!! 247 shows him getting all the right offers from name schools so they saw something as well.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It is hilarious to see everyone do mental gymnastics here. Reed is an average big man. And that’s ok. But he will never be Sanogo

OK, he will likely never be Sanogo but why would you ever say "freshman Sanogo would ruin this guy"? Freshman Sanogo averaged 7 & 5 and had 13 assists, 9 steals and 21 blocks on the season. Most people here were probably thinking Sanogo would never be "Sanogo."

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
OK, he will likely never be Sanogo but why would you ever say "freshman Sanogo would ruin this guy"? Freshman Sanogo averaged 7 & 5 and had 13 assists, 9 steals and 21 blocks on the season. Most people here were probably thinking Sanogo would never be "Sanogo."
LOL.

Reaction Score
You said who we saw this year is who he is and that is absolutely not true. He’ll be shooting an occasional 3 at 30%. Not amazing. Pick and pop from 15 feet and some one dribble drives to the basket. More active all around and facing the basket.
You said “he shouldn’t be playing the 5” and in response I said “he is who he is” meaning he’s a rim running high hedging center. Hes not suddenly gonna be playing PF and shooting 30% from 3 (which would be flat out amazing). Between Karaban and Stewart and Abraham there is no PT available at PF to begin with.

So I’ve got my receipt too but at this rate I’ll prob have you on ignore long before next season ends

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think a lot of our fans focused too much on the things Samson isn't good at and not enough on the things he's good at. We had arguably the most impactful guy in the country at center and we needed a change of pace center to keep teams on their heels when Clingan needed rests or was in foul trouble, Samson provided that. I doubt there was a better rim runner/lob threat in the entire country. He was a very good back up of us this season.

We'll see a more well rounded Samson next season, there's a lot of talent in there and this was his first season of real playing time.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of our fans focused too much on the things Samson isn't good at and not enough on the things he's good at. We had arguably the most impactful guy in the country at center and we needed a change of pace center to keep teams on their heels when Clingan needed rests or was in foul trouble, Samson provided that. I doubt there was a better rim runner/lob threat in the entire country. He was a very good back up of us this season.

We'll see a more well rounded Samson next season, there's a lot of talent in there and this was his first season of real playing time.

Precisely that, He is arguably the best backup center in the country. But that's definitely not in line with our coaches and our fans if Samson is our starting center without improvement in the off season. He is a glaring liability on defense end: too skinny, foul prone, no boxing out, lack of rebounding.

He either needs to bulk up in S&C or we recruit another big body to share the minutes at center. I hope for the former because a. he deserves it; b. Hurley really wanted him to stay last year. So He must see something we don't. And in Hurley we trust.

Reaction Score

Samson did some really impressive things this tournament. Played to his strength but showed more on help D and more composure down low than he did for much of the year. This clip stuck out. Great block -> nearly full sprint -> catch, stop, pivot -> composed layup. If he can add these sorts of plays consistently to his game, he's going to command a lot of minutes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom