2024-2025 UConn player eligibility | The Boneyard

2024-2025 UConn player eligibility

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The article linked below said all 14 players on the current roster are eligible to play next season. I thought Aubrey’s eligibility was up after this year but she must have a redshirt year plus a Covid year. Is the NCAA is allowing a 6th year for the Covid year, anyone know?

You may need a subscription to read this (cost is currently $0.99 for 6 months)

Reaction Score
The article linked below said all 14 players on the current roster are eligible to play next season. I thought Aubrey’s eligibility was up after this year but she must have a redshirt year plus a Covid year. Is the NCAA is allowing a 6th year for the Covid year, anyone know?

You may need a subscription to read this (cost is currently $0.99 for 6 months)

Because she missed an entire year due to injury, she theoretically could play next season. Because it would be her sixth year, she would need to get an NCAA waiver. Based on how the NCAA has been ruling on these matters, I think it is likely she would get the waiver if she wanted it.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
According to the Roster thread posted and updated by @BRS24 , Aubrey is listed on the 2024-2025 Roster under the section depicting players who are using COVID and redshirt eligibility.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What incentive would she have to stay or go? She could hope for a less injury plagued team next season to help set her up for the draft. And she may have personal connections who will still be in college. But if Paige Aaliyah and Nika move on, the team may not feel quite so much like a family for her. And 6 years is a long time to stay in college, even if it comes with a post-grad degree.

Reaction Score
Because she missed an entire year due to injury, she theoretically could play next season. Because it would be her sixth year, she would need to get an NCAA waiver. Based on how the NCAA has been ruling on these matters, I think it is likely she would get the waiver if she wanted it.
The rule is four years of competition during a five year eligibility window, with the following covid exceptions:

1. Any athlete whose 5 year eligibility included the 2019-20 covid year is automatically granted a sixth year of eligibility.
2. The 2019-20 season does not count as a year of competition.

This year is Aubrey's third year of competition and her fifth year of eligibility.
This year is Paige's second year of competition and her fourth year of eligibility.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
What incentive would she have to stay or go? She could hope for a less injury plagued team next season to help set her up for the draft. And she may have personal connections who will still be in college. But if Paige Aaliyah and Nika move on, the team may not feel quite so much like a family for her. And 6 years is a long time to stay in college, even if it comes with a post-grad degree.
Some would say that college was the best 6 years of their life. :cool:

Reaction Score
Some would say that college was the best 6 years of their life. :cool:
As a college prof, I’m supposed to agree. But it think it’s more like college is the best 4 years of one’s life. I can eat 4 hot dogs and they’re all great. But by the time it’s year 6 they start to get a little oppressive.

Reaction Score
Freshman 2019-20; Covid doesn't count
Soph 2020-2021 first year competition
Junior 2021-22 ACL didn't play
Senior 2022-23 second year competition

Paige was Class of 2020, so she wasn’t a Freshman until 20-21 (made Final Four) was injured for some of the 21-22 season (made Championship game), sat out 22-23 and this is her third year playing (23-24).

Reaction Score
Paige was Class of 2020, so she wasn’t a Freshman until 20-21 (made Final Four) was injured for some of the 21-22 season (made Championship game), sat out 22-23 and this is her third year playing (23-24).
Let me correct my post then ...

Freshman 2020-21; Covid doesn't count
Soph 2021-2022 first year competition
Junior 2022-23 ACL didn't play
Senior 2023-24 second year competition

So 2020-21 is the waiver year (my bad)

Reaction Score
The rule is four years of competition during a five year eligibility window, with the following covid exceptions:

1. Any athlete whose 5 year eligibility included the 2020-21 covid year is automatically granted a sixth year of eligibility.
2. The 2020-21 season does not count as a year of competition.

This year is Aubrey's third year of competition and her fifth year of eligibility.
This year is Paige's second year of competition and her fourth year of eligibility.
Bolded Italics corrects my error ....

Reaction Score

1. Any athlete whose 5 year eligibility included the 2019-20 covid year is automatically granted a sixth year of eligibility.
2. The 2019-20 season does not count as a year of competition.

1. The Covid year was 2020–21.
2. I have not seen anything about an automatic sixth year being given. Could you cite a source? As far as I know, an athlete has to apply for that sixth year and many have. Having said that, it has been fairly routine for it to be granted, although there have been a few occasions where it was not.

Reaction Score

sun

Reaction Score
1. The Covid year was 2020–21.
2. I have not seen anything about an automatic sixth year being given. Could you cite a source? As far as I know, an athlete has to apply for that sixth year and many have. Having said that, it has been fairly routine for it to be granted, although there have been a few occasions where it was not.

In October, the NCAA announced that all Division I winter athletes who competed during 2020-21 would be getting an extra year of eligibility and an extra year to complete said eligibility. Instead of having five years to use four seasons of eligibility, the number is now six years to complete five, since the 2020-21 season did not count for either metric.

Winter sport student-athletes who compete during 2020-21 in Division I will receive both an additional season of competition and an additional year in which to complete it, the Division I Council decided.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure no waiver is necessary. Anyone whose original 5-year-clock included the 2020-21 season automatically gets a sixth year on their clock.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Aubrey, Paige, Nika, Liya, and Azzi could all leave. Or they could all stay. Paige and Azzi could play next year AND the year after.

Does anyone remember the DePaul player (Quigley or her sister, maybe) who seemed to be in college at least 6 years?

Reaction Score
I've never seen so many players that for one reason or another may or may not play another year. I'll wait until next summer and see who shows up in the gym and take it from there.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Aubrey, Paige, Nika, Liya, and Azzi could all leave. Or they could all stay. Paige and Azzi could play next year AND the year after.

Does anyone remember the DePaul player (Quigley or her sister, maybe) who seemed to be in college at least 6 years?
Allie Quigley played at DePaul from 2004-2008. Her sister Samantha played from 2006-2011. So Samantha must have missed a season somewhere along the line, presumably due to injury. But there was at least one Quigley on the court for DePaul for many years, that probably sticks in your mind.

The one that sticks out to me is Ali Patberg. She began with Notre Dame in 2015 but missed 2015-2016 with a knee injury. She played one season for them, sat out a season due to the transfer rules, and then played four seasons for Indiana. Her last season was 2021-2022. (Last game was a loss against against UConn at Bridgeport in the Round of 16, had 16 points.) So she was on a roster in some capacity for seven seasons - five as an active player due to the Covid year rule.

Reaction Score

Surely that’s not right? Paige could play two more years?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom