2023 UConn Football Commit - Louis Hansen (Dover, MA) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2023 UConn Football Commit - Louis Hansen (Dover, MA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Portal is hugely important for UConn. Getting 4 star talent directly out of HS is very difficult. I think the win over BC is one reason Hansen chose us.
We will become a destination for P5 portal transfers not moving up the P5 Tier. Why UConn? Facilities, staff, independent schedule (schedule might be a stretch), and playing time. There are many very talented players buried on rosters across the top teams. Getting these guys with 2-3+ years left is huge for the program.

Being competitive and having a realistic path to a bowl game is definitely a plus when trying to get these New England or northeast kids to transfer back closer to home. What was one of the benefits for UConn this year? They got that extra month of practice together as a team with the staff rather than being reduced to individual workouts and condtioning on their own.

There is a viable path for becoming the program of choice for kids looking for the second opportunity and a shorter path through the depth chart for playing time. Remember Mora talking about Michigan warming up 8-10 QB's before the game at the big house? Mora has talked about wanting a bigger roster at UConn but the smaller roster is more enticing for trasnsfers looking for PT.

Reaction Score
Being competitive and having a realistic path to a bowl game is definitely a plus when trying to get these New England or northeast kids to transfer back closer to home. What was one of the benefits for UConn this year? They got that extra month of practice together as a team with the staff rather than being reduced to individual workouts and condtioning on their own.

There is a viable path for becoming the program of choice for kids looking for the second opportunity and a shorter path through the depth chart for playing time. Remember Mora talking about Michigan warming up 8-10 QB's before the game at the big house? Mora has talked about wanting a bigger roster at UConn but the smaller roster is more enticing for trasnsfers looking for PT.

The kind of transfers we’re looking to attract couldn’t give a rat’s butt as to whether us or any other school has 20 walk ons or 80 walk one on their roster.

Reaction Score
Welcome to The Family, Louis.

Kid didn't get much run at Michigan but coming out of HS in Mass. he was the #5 rated TE in the country. Very nice pickup.
Michigan is redonkulously deep, at every position ( check tape from the game we played against them this year )... perfect example of why high level P5 schools with that kind of depth lose a few high caliber kids.... thank God we finally got one potentially... Hope to see more come this way... we're headed in the right direction.. and it's visible now....

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The kind of transfers we’re looking to attract couldn’t give a rat’s butt as to whether us or any other school has 20 walk ons or 80 walk one on their roster.

Really no way to prove your point right or wrong. In this case one of the reasons cited for him transferring to UConn was the emergence of a walk-on TE at Michigan.

From the article @huskymedic linked:

It appears that his decision to depart the program is more based on location than it does playing time. However, with the emergence of freshman Colston Loveland as well as walk-on Max Bredeson, his path towards playing time in Ann Arbor was becoming increasingly razor thin.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Really no way to prove your point right or wrong. In this case one of the reasons cited for him transferring to UConn was the emergence of a walk-on TE at Michigan.

From the article @huskymedic linked:

It appears that his decision to depart the program is more based on location than it does playing time. However, with the emergence of freshman Colston Loveland as well as walk-on Max Bredeson, his path towards playing time in Ann Arbor was becoming increasingly razor thin.
My guess is playing time didn't hurt in his decision making! Plus playing for Mora I think is paying major dividends for us in the portal market.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
TE needs to be able to block. When we brought in an extra lineman, we literally said we are running the ball. Our TE's could either catch the ball (Joly), false start(Niemenski) or couldn't really be effective on routes or blocking (Estes, Dixon). If this kid can do both, he opens things up schematically that weren't possible this year.

Reaction Score
I can see him and Justin Joly playing at the same time
Joly is more of a big WR/hybrid. This kid looks like a legit TE with the build to be an effective blocker. He will compete with Nieminski who took a step back this year it seemed. TE was in major need of both a talent infusion and bodies to play the position.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It’s been like a decade (hyperbole perhaps) since we had a two way TE. This ought to be the guy- I sure hope so. As hardcore said, our OL system of running the extra lineman rather than extra TE said volumes. To take us up a level with this offense we need a TE that open lanes and can catch the ball and commit no pre snap penalties. A big part of catching the ball is your QB having faith that you can make a play for the ball. Hansen’s natural long reach should build confidence with at that pass game. This might prove to be a very significant add for 2023. Takes pressure off Joly to boot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can see him and Justin Joly playing at the same time
Joly is a tall and rangey, he’s listed by different services at either 6’3” or 6’4”, weight wise he’s listed by three different services at 190lbs, 215lbs and 228lbs. Weight wise he’s small for a classic TE. He’s also very quick when running with the ball, and I would call Joly a tall wide receiver not a TE per se vs Hanson who is 6’6” and 256lbs. A TE like Hanson will get us 1st downs when we need one. Joly can get us touchdowns when he’s got the ball in the defensive backfield and is running for the goal line. I’d love to see them both in the game at the same time.

Reaction Score
I can't say that I know much about Hansen, as I don't remember him getting much run at UM. That said there was a reason that he was highly regarded coming out of HS. UConn has positioned itself well under Mora to be an attractive landing spot for Northeast Kids who may want to get closer to home the second time around. In the past kids like this might have gone to a BC or Rutgers, but right now regardless of conference affiliation, UConn feels like a much more stable environment than either of those two. I'm curious if UConn will kick the tires on Jeff Davis. CB out of CT. Talented kid who was buried on Penn State's Depth Chart. Still a few years of eligibility to work with.

Reaction Score
He is going to give our TE #83 Niemenski a run for his money….

Reaction Score
Kid didn't get much run at Michigan but coming out of HS in Mass.
We have had very good luck with Mass players over the years. I think Tank Sherman was probably our longest tenured NFL player.
Portal is hugely important for UConn. Getting 4 star talent directly out of HS is very difficult. I think the win over BC is one reason Hansen chose us.
With all due respect I agree with your first two points but highly doubt our win over a 3 and 9 BC had anything to do with his choice. We defeated a much better Notre Dame (although down) years ago and recruiting did not change.
This was in my opinion all about the staff we now have in place.
Welcome back to New England Louis!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Playing for a players coach like Mora vs a Myopic idiot Harbaugh
No Brainer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors