2023 Starting QB Debate | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2023 Starting QB Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I think it’ll be Zion, unless they get someone unexpected. He’s not giving the job back to Roberson at this point, and Lewis would have to dominate practice.
I am not sure you are serious?

Do you think Turner played well enough that the starting QB job is his to lose?

I really hope that isn't true. Roberson and/or a transfer are at least on a level playing field with Zion.

Reaction Score
was expected
Thanks for telling us before he committed to ASU. Saying you knew all along after the fact is lame. There was chatter online he may want to come here. No one was saying he wouldn’t consider UConn. He didn’t end up at a powerhouse program, so it’s not like it was that big a long shot.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think there are things you can reasonably expect to fix with experience and repetition and things you can't. The things ZT needs to fix are not things that many QB improve over time. Ask the NY Jets. He just doesn't have the instincts to play at this level. Yesterday should have made that very clear. There is just too much ground to cover. Millen? what are you people thinking? Unless the kid gets a new bionic arm, he can't be expected to throw. TR?, go watch his last PSU appearance and tell me that's the guy you are pinning your hopes on after knee surgery.

Any of these guys could make a huge improvement just like one of us might win the Mega Millions tonight. The odds are pretty freaking long. It's the off season, this roster needs to be upgraded and QB is the #1 priority. Bring in 3 new guys and may the best man win the job. Hearing these excuses is giving me Diaco flashbacks.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
He is talking about Lawrence as a pro.... not college.
I know that, the conversation is about a college freshman QB. Let the comparison be about freshman Zion and freshman Trevor or Tua. That was my point. Sorry you missed it.

Reaction Score
I love the way this staff was able to use the transfer portal last year and trust if they decide to bring in 5 new QBs, I’m on board.

Unlike others here, I am not sold Tyler P never takes another snap as QB at UConn. Not only did he need to recover from his injury, as a running QB he needs to regain his game shape to be effective. Through 3 starts last year Tyler P showed me at least as much potential as Zion Turner did, despite what their respective records were.

If the staff ends up over-recruiting both and neither take a snap, I won’t complain either.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
“I would just like to thank Marshall for helping us to get better.”

May one of Santa's reindeer take a giant dump down your chimney.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
So....we have heard about a sfrong possibility of the Colorado QB transferring here...are there any other legitimate options? Or...is it the Colorado kid or nothing?

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t mind seeing Zion get a shot without losing his top RB(s) and WR(s).

Reaction Score
He will. Along with everyone else. Regardless of who starts, the production needs to be better from the position. That is all anyone is really saying.

The case could be made that aside from TE, the QB spot was the weakest part of the offense.

Reaction Score
So....we have heard about a sfrong possibility of the Colorado QB transferring here...are there any other legitimate options? Or...is it the Colorado kid or nothing?
The Colorado Kid - I like the sound of that.

Reaction Score
The bowl game was exactly that. He threw 3 ints, 160 yards and fumbled with all his best receivers and running backs I'm the game.

Reaction Score
We need more competition in EVERY room of the football program (QB, WR, TE, RB, OL, DL, LB, DB, ST).

ZT gets a tip of the hat for a freshman year where he was thrown to the wolves and helped bring the team back to respectability.

Other QB's need to come in and bolster the QB room and either take the starting job or create more competition and depth. Each guy pushing each other to be better.

In today's modern game, we need a QB with a "plus" arm that can get the ball downfield with accuracy. Otherwise, we will need incredible jump in improvement from the OL, WR, RB, TE groups to overcome a "deficient" QB room in order to take the next step up to be an 8/9/10 win team.

Bring on improved QB's through the portal and HS ranks. Let the cream rise to the top.

Reaction Score
We need more competition in EVERY room of the football program (QB, WR, TE, RB, OL, DL, LB, DB, ST).

ZT gets a tip of the hat for a freshman year where he was thrown to the wolves and helped bring the team back to respectability.

Other QB's need to come in and bolster the QB room and either take the starting job or create more competition and depth. Each guy pushing each other to be better.

In today's modern game, we need a QB with a "plus" arm that can get the ball downfield with accuracy. Otherwise, we will need incredible jump in improvement from the OL, WR, RB, TE groups to overcome a "deficient" QB room in order to take the next step up to be an 8/9/10 win team.

Bring on improved QB's through the portal and HS ranks. Let the cream rise to the top.
Thank you! All you experts need to stop bashing our players! They have been recruited here and worked their buts off. They gave you a bowl game after going 6-6 which the majority of you never expected. I was a solid player many years ago and what these kids
are required to do today I am not sure I would want to be subject to. Everything is under the microscope from strength and conditioning to filmed practices. The last thing as a player I would want to hear is some boneyarder’s opinion that I’m not good enough.
Players can improve but being a winner and having a winner’s mentality can help overcome many deficiencies. You guys could have at least celebrated their accomplishments before the bashing started and talking about buying them bus tickets out of town

Reaction Score
Why are we doing this? Do you have any faith in Mora? You have zero idea what leaps ZT will make during the summer and early fall.

The barn was burnt down the last few years and Mora, behind ZT at the helm, swept all that away and started laying a new foundation....calm down folks. Yeesh.
Ski season has already started up north and is about to begin here. Thinking there is a portal QB out there that sees UConn's mature OL who will sense the opportunity even if the staff has to point it out to him. A little time is all that is needed. Meanwhile there is men's and women's hockey, MBB, WBB, and big World Cup ski races Alpine and Nordic including the Lauberhorn, Kitz, Bormio, and well as biathlon. To say nothing of getting off our asses and actually doing some of those sports too. Before we know it the problem will be at least partially solved. Relax. Get ready to enjoy the spring competition.

Reaction Score
Rooting for the incumbent again? He just went 9-27.
It's OK to root for the incumbent, but only if he works hard on those elements of his game that have held him back--and he makes demonstrable progress. Since it all starts with the QB, and neither Charlton nor Mora will hold on to Zion if one of the other QB's shows more talent and more promise, all of our QB's will be given a fair shot this spring.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I love that this board is back in action. Here's a thought experiment:

QB #1
13 games
57.8% completions
1,411 yards
5.5 yards per attempt
9 TDs
10 INTs
107.5 QB Rating

QB #2
10 games
47.6% completions
1,379 years
5.1 yards per attempt
9 TDs
11 INTs
93.5 QB Rating

Objectively, QB 1 performed better than QB 2, both in their freshmen year. Not by a lot, but better.

QB 1? Zion Turner

QB 2? Dan Orlovsky

Everyone relax a little, enjoy that we're winning again, and look forward to watching this kid and all the others grow. The one you're worried about might actually end up playing on Sundays in 4 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom