2023 Recruiting Strategy | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting Strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I feel like we have seen a significant shift from our initial 23’ offers that we have put out. We initially seemed really strong with Gavin Griffiths, Taylor Bowen, Reid Ducharme, and Akok Watson.

I have not seen us connected to any of those four lately, and it seems like Gavin is set to announce to Rutgers.

Have we rethought our strategy around roster construction? Does Luke Murray help us expand our footprint? I’ll be really interested on how this class turns out.

Reaction Score
i do think he helps expand our footprint both into the southeast from his time at Lville and midwest from his time at xavier. iirc we've also offered a Cali guy or two for the first time under hurley.

Reaction Score
I feel like we have been going after guys that might be a little under the radar instead of Justin Edwards top 20 kids. I really like all of our Team Melo offers.

Reaction Score
Pulled this from the Big East Offer Tracker and other assorted sources, to summarize offers and interest for 2023:

2020 Offers
Jayden Lemond - 6'2" guard - Team Rio - 4 star

2021 Offers
Scotty Middleton - 6'6" wing - Sunrise Christian - 4 star
Matas Buzelis - 6'9" forward - Mac Irvin Fire - 5 star
Akil Watson - 6'8" forward - NY Lightning - 4 star
Taylor Bol Bowen - 6'7" forward - Expressions - 4 star
Isaiah Miranda - 7'1" center - Rhode Island Elite - 4 star

April 2022 offers
Andrej Stojakavic (2023) - 6'6" guard - Compton Magic - Sacramento, CA - 4 star
Darius Carr (2023) - 6'3" guard - Compton Magic - Los Angeles, CA - 4 star
Taison Chatman (2023) - 6'4" guard - D1 Minnesota- - Fridley, MN - 4 star
Jayden Ross (2023) - 6'6" guard - Team Melo - Bristow, VA - N/A

May 2022 offers
Ugonna Kingsley Onyenso - 6'11" center - NY Jayhawks - Putnam, CT - 4 star
Tafara Gapare - 6'10" forward - Team Melo - South Kent School - Kent, CT - N/A
J.P. Estrella - 6'11" forward - Middlesex Magic - Portland , Maine - 3 star

June 2022 offers
Chris Johnson - 6'5" guard - Montverde Academy - Missouri City, TX - 4 star
Kaden Cooper - 6'5" wing - The Skill Factory - Atlanta, GA - 3 star
Freddie Dilione - 6'4" guard - Team Loaded - Raleigh, NC - 3 star

No offer - 2022 UConn Interest
Isaiah Coleman - 6'5" guard - Team Melo - Fort Washington, PA - 4 star
Jelani Hamilton - 6'6" guard - Cumberland Christian Academy - Austella, GA - 4 star
Kachi Nzeh - 6'8" center - George School - Newtown, PA - N/A
Papa Kante - 6'10 center - South Kent School - South Kent, CT - 4 star
Mouhamed Dioubate - 6'7" wing - Putnam Science Academy - Flushing NY - 4 star
Xzayvier Brown - 6'1" guard - Roman Catholic - Philadelphia, PA - 3 star

Might be missing one or two guys but this should cover most of it. Considering anyone offered before April 2022 we have heard next to nothing about I am going to assume without any insider knowledge that the staff is prioritizing elsewhere. The only exception I can see to this is Isaiah Miranda since I think his recruitment has just been very quiet.

Otherwise, the staff priorities have become very clear: recruit big playmaking guards. With the temporary detour of big men in May, all offers this calendar year fit this billing. This looks to be a clear change in course by the staff in light of only having 1-2 such players on the roster last season that it is now a focal point for roster construction.

A lot of quality players offered in the last 3 months, hopefully find 2-3 more to pair with Castle. If they can get Coleman (who grew up a UConn fan) along with Chris Johnson (who seems to be trending toward an OV) and then a big, that's a massive haul for 2023.

Reaction Score
sign me up for castle, coleman, johnson, and gapare (as a reclass RS) right now

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The staff may also be considering the advantages of recruiting proven players from the portal.

Reaction Score
Interviews with players often stress availability of playing time, style of play, relationships with coaches, ability to be coached to be an NBA talent, location to have family come to games, etc NIL money supposedly cannot be used as an inducement, (haha), but, has anybody happened to note a kid coming right out and saying he was shopping for the school that would/could offer the most lucrative NIL package? I haven't stumbled on that yet, even though I bet it is at the top of a lot of lists.

Reaction Score
Interviews with players often stress availability of playing time, style of play, relationships with coaches, ability to be coached to be an NBA talent, location to have family come to games, etc NIL money supposedly cannot be used as an inducement, (haha), but, has anybody happened to note a kid coming right out and saying he was shopping for the school that would/could offer the most lucrative NIL package? I haven't stumbled on that yet, even though I bet it is at the top of a lot of lists.
As to be expected, the Isaiah Wong shitstorm and NCAA response will likely have give everyone a bit of caution with public speaking about it. No reason to smack a hornets nest for no reason.

Reaction Score
has anybody happened to note a kid coming right out and saying he was shopping for the school that would/could offer the most lucrative NIL package?

“I’ve been thinking about this ever since the NIL bill came out,’’ Lands told the Syracuse Post-Standard. “I haven’t had the opportunity to be recruited in that way.’’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom