2023 NBA Draft prospects who could still make a roster even if they aren't picked | The Boneyard

2023 NBA Draft prospects who could still make a roster even if they aren't picked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sanogo front and center (picture at the beginning of the article).

Adama Sanogo, UConn

Will a Final Four MOP actually go undrafted? It's possible. But Sanogo has the durability, mobility and shooting to eventually crack into the NBA as a longtime role player. (For the purposes of this exercise, I made sure to pick someone outside of the top 50 on the CBS Sports Big Board. Sanogo checks in at 54th.) Coming off an All-American season, Sanogo was the best player in the NCAA Tournament and the central force to UConn's fifth championship. Most importantly, he upgraded his shooting. Sanogo attempted one 3-pointer in his first two seasons. As a junior, he shot 52 of them and made 19, a 36.5% completion rate. Not bad for a relative newbie. At 6-foot-9 and approximately 245 pounds, Sanogo's a tweener big, but there's a place for him in positionless NBA schemes. He has good touch, good instincts and understands pick-and-roll well. I'd draft him, but even if that doesn't happen, he's got a great chance to stick.

Reaction Score
Sanogo front and center (picture at the beginning of the article).

Adama Sanogo, UConn

Will a Final Four MOP actually go undrafted? It's possible. But Sanogo has the durability, mobility and shooting to eventually crack into the NBA as a longtime role player. (For the purposes of this exercise, I made sure to pick someone outside of the top 50 on the CBS Sports Big Board. Sanogo checks in at 54th.) Coming off an All-American season, Sanogo was the best player in the NCAA Tournament and the central force to UConn's fifth championship. Most importantly, he upgraded his shooting. Sanogo attempted one 3-pointer in his first two seasons. As a junior, he shot 52 of them and made 19, a 36.5% completion rate. Not bad for a relative newbie. At 6-foot-9 and approximately 245 pounds, Sanogo's a tweener big, but there's a place for him in positionless NBA schemes. He has good touch, good instincts and understands pick-and-roll well. I'd draft him, but even if that doesn't happen, he's got a great chance to stick.

A lot of teams are going to look foolish in a few years. Kevin Looney a guy whos 6`8 and weighs 220lbs and didnt start playing basketball like 5 years ago like Sanogo finished 2nd in the NBA in rebounding. I refuse to believe that Sanogo with his strength, mobility, footwork and soft touch cant put up 10/10 a night? Hes not even a finished product! I absolutely cant wait till he makes the so called experts look like fools. Like have they seen some of the guys under 6`10 succeeding in the league right now?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I want all the UConn players to succeed but I am still waiting to see AS stop and pop pull out of dribble from 12 feet and hit a midrange shot. It was something I feel he should have worked on during the past off season but the 3 pt shot seemed to take priority. AS has the heart and fortitude to compete at the highest level and I would love to see him play in the NBA

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A lot of teams are going to look foolish in a few years. Kevin Looney a guy whos 6`8 and weighs 220lbs and didnt start playing basketball like 5 years ago like Sanogo finished 2nd in the NBA in rebounding. I refuse to believe that Sanogo with his strength, mobility, footwork and soft touch cant put up 10/10 a night? Hes not even a finished product! I absolutely cant wait till he makes the so called experts look like fools. Like have they seen some of the guys under 6`10 succeeding in the league right now?

How many players in the NBA averaged a double double in points and rebounds?

You're putting Sanogo in that category of NBA player????

Reaction Score
How many players in the NBA averaged a double double in points and rebounds?

You're putting Sanogo in that category of NBA player????
There were 11 players who met that criteria this season, so highly unlikely Sanogo does that. Even if he does have a good NBA career it's unlikely he ever does

pj

Reaction Score
There were 11 players who met that criteria this season, so highly unlikely Sanogo does that. Even if he does have a good NBA career it's unlikely he ever does

You're going with the odds ... but Adama reminds me a bit of Karl Malone, the Mailman, who averaged 18 points 9 rebounds at Louisina Tech vs 17 points 8 rebounds for Sanogo at a deeper UConn; both players were 6'9" and 250 lb, with similar agility and strength and soft touch. Adama started to come on with his outside shooting and passing last year. He still has a lot of growing to do, but his pace of improvement has been so dramatic, it's clear he's far from his ceiling. Not saying he'll approach Malone's career NBA average of 25 points 10 rebounds, but honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Adama gets consistent minutes and averages 11 points 6 rebounds in 3-4 years.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You're going with the odds ... but Adama reminds me a bit of Karl Malone, the Mailman, who averaged 18 points 9 rebounds at Louisina Tech vs 17 points 8 rebounds for Sanogo at a deeper UConn; both players were 6'9" and 250 lb, with similar agility and strength and soft touch. Adama started to come on with his outside shooting and passing last year. He still has a lot of growing to do, but his pace of improvement has been so dramatic, it's clear he's far from his ceiling. Not saying he'll approach Malone's career NBA average of 25 points 10 rebounds, but honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Adama gets consistent minutes and averages 11 points 6 rebounds in 3-4 years.
Ewwwwwwwww

Reaction Score
Sometimes, for a guy in Adama’s situation, it’s better to go undrafted. This way, he and his agent can find the teams that best fit his skill set. That said, I strongly believe Adama will get selected by someone. Maybe even a bit earlier than late in second round.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I want all the UConn players to succeed but I am still waiting to see AS stop and pop pull out of dribble from 12 feet and hit a midrange shot. It was something I feel he should have worked on during the past off season but the 3 pt shot seemed to take priority. AS has the heart and fortitude to compete at the highest level and I would love to see him play in the NBA
Blame advanced analytics.

We know Hurley and staff advises players they think are NBA bound on skill sets that the league is most interested in. 3-point shots trump 12 footers. That said, if Adama is motivated to learn that shot, he'll learn it.

Reaction Score
What a crew. One guy thinks he will average 10 and 10, lowers it to 10 and 8. Another guys thinks 11 and 6. I would be happy if he averaged 3 and 2. That would mean he was on a roster.

Reactions: pj

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Sanogo will eventually be a good NBA 4 off the bench for some team and will be a guy teams want in their locker room. That's my prediction. Hopefully he gets drafted, but even if he doesn't, he'll work his way into the league.

Reaction Score
Sanogo is probably going to get drafted. A lot of the draft borderline centers went back to school, so beyond being an awesome player he might get drafted just in the numbers game

pj

Reaction Score
What a crew. One guy thinks he will average 10 and 10, lowers it to 10 and 8. Another guys thinks 11 and 6. I would be happy if he averaged 3 and 2. That would mean he was on a roster.

We will all be happy if he makes a roster. I think he's going to not only make a roster, but get minutes, and continue the rapid improvement we saw out of him this year. No 3-point shots last year, 36.5% on regular 3s this year; no ability to pass out of the post last year, excellent passing this year. He just keeps improving so rapidly.

Reaction Score
Blame advanced analytics.

We know Hurley and staff advises players they think are NBA bound on skill sets that the league is most interested in. 3-point shots trump 12 footers. That said, if Adama is motivated to learn that shot, he'll learn it.

When the NBA says "you need a 3," we better be teaching players to shoot the 3.

Reaction Score
Sanogo has a great chance to be a serviceable backup 5. He has gotten much better with his lateral quickness with his feet defending the pick and roll. He also blocks a lot of shots for a guy who can’t jump. Offensively I’m not worried he gets so many easy buckets by sealing off his guy…Hopefully my Knicks sign him.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yeah I’m firmly in the camp that Sanogo can end up a pretty good contributor at some point in the NBA. He’s too tough and plays both ends of the floor well. A lot of the good college centers that didn’t make it lacked on one side I believe. Won’t be the case here.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Sanogo has way to many physical gifts/skills/remaining upside to not be drafted. I'll be stunned if he doesn't go in the first round.

I'm a little more worried about Jackson who is all athleticism and IQ. If scouts think he is close to maxed out, he may slip a long way. Then again, NBA scouts are the worst scouts in the major sports.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Nothing and I mean nothing will ever surprise me about Adama because as mentioned above he only started playing at 14-15 years old! His work ethic is off the charts. I would love to see him turn into another Karl Malone but, please correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Malone have the unusual handle to drive down the court like a wing or guard? I just remember he and Stockton on the fast breaks and marveling at his ability to move with the ball like Dan Hamilton or Andre Jackson. But that was long ago. Maybe it was just his foot speed without the ball on the floor?

Reaction Score
Nothing and I mean nothing will ever surprise me about Adama because as mentioned above he only started playing at 14-15 years old! His work ethic is off the charts. I would love to see him turn into another Karl Malone but, please correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Malone have the unusual handle to drive down the court like a wing or guard? I just remember he and Stockton on the fast breaks and marveling at his ability to move with the ball like Dan Hamilton or Andre Jackson. But that was long ago. Maybe it was just his foot speed without the ball on the floor?
I would love to see him turn into Karl Malone too. Back in my younger days I wanted to turn into Bob Cousy

Reaction Score
Sanogo has way to many physical gifts/skills/remaining upside to not be drafted. I'll be stunned if he doesn't go in the first round.

I'm a little more worried about Jackson who is all athleticism and IQ. If scouts think he is close to maxed out, he may slip a long way. Then again, NBA scouts are the worst scouts in the major sports.
I suggest sitting down to watch the draft.

pj

Reaction Score

I'm thinking of their strength, agility, scoring ability around the basket, ability to shoot from away from the basket, and the ability to pass that Sanogo has begun to show. Malone may have had more lift off the ground, but overall they seem to have very similar games. No one in college ball for many years has looked more like Malone than Sanogo did this year.

Reaction Score
Hope he makes it and with the right fit there’s a shot. But let’s be honest the biggest improvement needs to be his handle. As great as he was for us if he put it on the floor more than 2 times 75-80% of the time it was a turnover or a bad shot. That needs to change to be successful at the next level in a huge way.

Great college player, let’s see what happens certainly rooting for the kid!

Reaction Score

I'm thinking of their strength, agility, scoring ability around the basket, ability to shoot from away from the basket, and the ability to pass that Sanogo has begun to show. Malone may have had more lift off the ground, but overall they seem to have very similar games. No one in college ball for many years has looked more like Malone than Sanogo did this year.

Wow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24