2023 CT Ice Tournament (January 27th & 28th @Quinnipiac) Games will be on SNY & http://gobobcats.com (Out of market) Audio on 97.9 & Varsity Network | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2023 CT Ice Tournament (January 27th & 28th @Quinnipiac) Games will be on SNY & http://gobobcats.com (Out of market) Audio on 97.9 & Varsity Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yale steps up whenever they play Harvard at Ingalls. Their track record playing at QU's rink isn't quite as good.

Unfortunately UConn has exactly zero wins there so they certainly don't have an advantage either. If UConn can pull together another win this afternoon and generate some Mo that would help. If UConn takes care of business next Friday and got to face the #1 team in the nation though- wow what an opportunity though...

Reaction Score
Why is it going to be a clown show?

The atmosphere at Quinnipiac will be a million times better than at Bridgeport or Hartford. If UConn and Quinnipiac play on Saturday night, it will be a tremendous atmosphere.

I actually would not mind if the event rotates between all four campuses. It is not the Beanpot, but having it on campuses will offer a great atmosphere in each venue.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Why is it going to be a clown show?

The atmosphere at Quinnipiac will be a million times better than at Bridgeport or Hartford. If UConn and Quinnipiac play on Saturday night, it will be a tremendous atmosphere.

I actually would not mind if the event rotates between all four campuses. It is not the Beanpot, but having it on campuses will offer a great atmosphere in each venue.
Because QU hoarded tickets. No coordination with the other schools.

Yale vs UConn will be friends and family

Reaction Score
Clown show in the fact we still don't even know if we'll be able to watch the games on tv/ESPN+

Reaction Score
I'm very much in favor of rotating the event among the four schools to build enthusiasm among each fanbase to the point that it will become sustainable at a neutral site. BUT.............a block of tickets should be set aside for each of the three "visiting" schools' fans, to be purchased via that school's ticket office/website NLT 48 hours prior to puck drop, at which point the unsold tickets are returned to the "host" site. This used to be somewhat problematic when paper tickets had to be physically returned, but now it is simply an electronic transaction.

As much as it is in UConn's Pairwise interest to beat Yale and then QU, I would not be overly upset if SHU beat QU, just to stick it to QU.

Reaction Score
Assuming the top two teams advance to the finals..
If the championship game was at the XL there’s a chance UConn fans alone would account for 4000-5000, which is 2000 more than the total that will show at Quinnipiac arena.
I have no idea how QU fans travel but if they travel decently, a weekend game of UConn Vs QU could get you up to 7000-8000 total.

If you want to do one offs at each others arena that’s cool. But a tournament should not be at an arena that seats 3k or so.

Reaction Score
I'm very much in favor of rotating the event among the four schools to build enthusiasm among each fanbase to the point that it will become sustainable at a neutral site. BUT.............a block of tickets should be set aside for each of the three "visiting" schools' fans, to be purchased via that school's ticket office/website NLT 48 hours prior to puck drop, at which point the unsold tickets are returned to the "host" site. This used to be somewhat problematic when paper tickets had to be physically returned, but now it is simply an electronic transaction.

As much as it is in UConn's Pairwise interest to beat Yale and then QU, I would not be overly upset if SHU beat QU, just to stick it to QU.
Yale offered their season ticket holders tickets in section 111 last week. Not sure where UConn and SHU were offered tickets, if at all.

Reaction Score
I don’t know Viking. I wish you enthusiasm translated into more fannies in the seats but the best we did this year at XL was around 4500. Two games at Toscano and, unbelievably, there are a bunch of empty seats. Maybe they’re all waiting in the beer lines or for an open urinal. As much as I wish you were right I don’t think 7000-8000 is a realistic goal. If QU is filled to capacity the place will be rockin’, especially if we play like we did in the second Umass game. Let’s just win the Friday game and then do the same on Saturday.
Maybe the worthless Hartford Courant will send a stringer to the game….now that would be a miracle on ice.

Reaction Score
This tournament has not been marketed or communicated well at all. No media outlets are mentioning it. It seems so haphazardly put together. I really hope despite all this there is a great turn out. The 4 D1 CT schools coming together should be celebrated and I'm looking forward to the campus rink rotation. So much more character and atmosphere to an on campus rink than Bridgeport Arena or XL Center.

Reaction Score

Alternate access link

“All the institutions think this event has legs,” Sacred Heart deputy athletic director Charlie Dowd said. “We want to grow it. We’ve got three of the best buildings, relatively new, and we’ve got an iconic venue that’s been renovated.”…

…“We had a pretty good start the first year,” Dowd said, “and then we got whacked with COVID the second year and the storm ... in the third.”

Reaction Score
Assuming the top two teams advance to the finals..
If the championship game was at the XL there’s a chance UConn fans alone would account for 4000-5000, which is 2000 more than the total that will show at Quinnipiac arena.
I have no idea how QU fans travel but if they travel decently, a weekend game of UConn Vs QU could get you up to 7000-8000 total.

If you want to do one offs at each others arena that’s cool. But a tournament should not be at an arena that seats 3k or so.
It has been my experience the SHU fans actually travel pretty well. Not sure about QU. I don’t recall too many last time they played UConn in Hartford.

Reaction Score
From the official Sacred Heart hockey site:

Phil Giubileo has the call both days on SNY and gobobcats.com, via Stretch Internet. Michael Zahn will join him for Friday's game, while Rich Coppola fills the analyst role on Saturday.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Because QU hoarded tickets. No coordination with the other schools.
QU has a pretty big season ticket holder base. But there were plenty of seats if you jumped on right away when they put tickets on sale almost a month ago.

Reaction Score
I’m with a group of 4 who got tickets 3 weeks ago through the box office with no issue.
Do you know which section did the box office offer to UConn? When I called Quinnipiac they weren't really sure at the time.

Reaction Score
Do you know which section did the box office offer to UConn? When I called Quinnipiac they weren't really sure at the time.
A friend made the purchase through the QU website. Not sure what section we are in.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I loaded the SNY app on my Apple TV, I have full access via Direct TV Stream, the platform is terrible and I can't get into the schedule. I know on the regular streaming platform they are showing Carton & Roberts @ 4 pm tomorrow

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
So like every tournament played at a hosting school?

To go from fully neutral site to that, sucks.

From the official Sacred Heart hockey site:

Phil Giubileo has the call both days on SNY and gobobcats.com, via Stretch Internet. Michael Zahn will join him for Friday's game, while Rich Coppola fills the analyst role on Saturday.

This sounds questionable.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
This sounds questionable.
I don’t see it listed on their website or on the Cox guide. Hopefully a late addition and they just haven’t updated the schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom