2023 CT Ice Tournament (January 27th & 28th @Quinnipiac) Games will be on SNY & http://gobobcats.com (Out of market) Audio on 97.9 & Varsity Network | Page 10 | The Boneyard

2023 CT Ice Tournament (January 27th & 28th @Quinnipiac) Games will be on SNY & http://gobobcats.com (Out of market) Audio on 97.9 & Varsity Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Congrats to QU for winning the trophy. Congrats to the Huskies for going toe to toe with one of the best teams in the nation. It seemed to me that Q was a slightly better team. Older, a bit more experienced and very quick, very skilled too.
For all you guys bitchin’ about QU’s handling of the tournament think about a few things. They took on the task with very short notice. Nobody else did. Perhaps they couldn’t offer blocks of tickets to SHU, UC and Yale because they have season ticket holders scattered everywhere throughout the rink. Being fair to them is probably a priority. How much time and manpower would you be willing to divert from your athletic dept’s. regular tasks to take on this Ct Ice orphan? There are many more issues to think about but I think you get my drift.
Next year, with enough long term planning and cooperation from all 4 schools, this Ct Ice think could be reborn into something that will last, grow and prosper. It will never be the Beanpot, but it can be something special for Ct. hockey given time, hard work and commitment from everybody including the “braintrust” running the XL Center.
And another thing… for anybody who’s bitchin’ about Cav. Get a grip. HE finals last year, top tier of HE last year and this year, recruiting and signing some amazing young talent, Tverberg, Wood, Sergeev, Terness, Percival, Salminen, etc. I’d say that’s pretty impressive. So is Toscano by the way. Could you do that?
Go Huskies!
I don’t think anyone is really knocking QU. It’s more directed at whoever is putting this thing together. They did a solid job on short notice. I even think it would be a fine location for this event in the mid-term with a few modifications like the tickets and the announcers. Honestly I think New Haven area is a good location and st least right now The Bank is the right size. Bridgeport or Storrs you’re basically saying we don’t want UConn fans or SHU fans to bother. But wherever you hold it it needs to be treated by the host as a statewide event, not the Quinnipiac Invitational. That means a neutral PA guy. Hockey East and Atlantic refs sometimes (won’t be worse than the ECAC crew) different fight songs etc when that team scores…Put up banners for each of the participating schools. QU will always have an advantage. But make it as close to a neutral site as you can. Personally I would rather play at Yale. I just love that arena. But QU was a good location and worked well.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
In my opinion, it makes sense to move this event into a neutral site – either the XL Center in Hartford or the pro building in Bridgeport where Sacred Heart used to play – seems sensible.

This is the answer. I’m not sure what happened to cause the event to get pulled from Bridgeport. The XL Center is the obvious choice, especially because it is no longer Connecticut home rink. It is centrally located and is big enough to give every fan base sufficient access to the event.

The question is will the CDRA actually schedule the event at a competitive cost? To me, the fact that it has always had UConn basketball as a de facto compulsory tenet has allowed a certain lack of accountability to the CDRA. I’m not aware of anything they’ve run. That’s been profitable. I think it’s well past time that the legislature recognize that the CDRA is a failed experiment that needs to be disbanded.

Reaction Score
I get what you are saying. I’m just not sure this event is grown up enough yet for the XL or even Bridgeport. I totally agree that QU using it as the Bobcat invitational was a bush move, though. I still think Greater New Haven makes sense as a location. And 3500 is a good size. People forget that the Beanpot was originally played at the Boston Arena (now Mathews) which was the home ice for all 4 teams. It moved to the Garden because both the Bruins and Celtics traditionally had road trips in the first two weekends in February and Garden management was looking for something to fill the Calendar. It is also in some ways something that can’t be replicated in this era. At the time practically every guy on each team played together or against every other one as kids. They all played and practiced in the same building. Then there was the religion and class implications. Harvard, the waspish elite school. BC the up and coming Catholics from the post war period, BU the Methodist school representing old line Protestantism and Northeastern, the working man’s school with their co-op program, large non-traditional hours and such. I went to Catholic elementary school in Boston in the mid-60s and the nuns would have us pray for a BC victory…especially over Harvard! They were more accepting of Northeastern because many of them had brothers or cousins who went there. People might not know where the tradition comes from but it was really reflective of lots more than just hockey in the early days. None of that history can be replicated. But we can have a really nice event. Just not the Bobcat Invitational.

Reaction Score
I can’t recall but what kind of ticket communication did UConn provide regarding this tourney?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Shock. A building was packed for a home game. Film at 11?
The lack of attendance for the 2 non-QU games tells a very different story, although some of that is on the day change, too. Why was it moved?

I promise - I'm not saying this as a griper. We have gone to the CT Ice since inception, and usually with a large group. I ended up scoring 2 tickets on secondary for Saturday, and attended both games, but it was just my son and I, and on a whim. Everyone else sort of gave up, when UConn (or QU) didn't have any ticket info published until far into the season. The window to buy was basically a week, before it went to SRO, and UConn didn't have anything on offer.

Reaction Score
Sooo, what was the allotment for each of the schools?? That would be good to find out.
Yale season ticket holders were offered 6 tickets per day in section 111. This was communicated roughly 2 weeks before the event. Not sure if UConn box office did something similar.

Reaction Score
Yale season ticket holders were offered 6 tickets per day in section 111. This was communicated roughly 2 weeks before the event. Not sure if UConn box office did something similar.
I’m a season ticket holder and didn’t hear anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom