2023 CFB Coaching Carousel begins to spin and spin… | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2023 CFB Coaching Carousel begins to spin and spin…

Reaction Score
You don’t/can’t - the only hope is to keep the wheels on the bus rolling till it all blows up and the remaining schools reorganize into something sustainable.
And some here think this is where we should be…

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't think any professional sports team has ever found itself in this situation. How does anyone compete with a program that is willing to do things like write off $150 million to coaches it doesn't want anymore?
Tell you one thing, it shows committment.

Reaction Score
Tell you one thing, it shows committment.
Or it shows you programs that have got a lot of extra cash. I've long thought that the rich programs would be able to spend everyone else in every other sport into the ground, but if they just use all this $$$ to spend solely on FB ....

Reaction Score
I don't think any professional sports team has ever found itself in this situation. How does anyone compete with a program that is willing to do things like write off $150 million to coaches it doesn't want anymore?
Well, there is Bobby Bonilla Day. Granted, it's not quite as much, but it's still a ridiculous amount. TAMU has an $18 billion endowment, surpassed only by Texas on the Public side. They have money to burn.

Reaction Score
As much as we tend to hire up-and-coming/less experienced position coaches, I hope we can sprinkle in some more experienced position coaches with a good player development track records. We need a bunch of those on our staff so hopefully we add a couple in the next handful of months as other staffs turn over during carousel season.
We already tried DeLeone and Coach P. Sadly they're looking better and better.

Reaction Score
You know what really surprises me? The fact the Willie Fritz has Tulane extreme competitive for the last few seasons and his name hasn't come up once.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Sounds like Chip Kelly is about to get fired at UCLA. He shoulda stayed at Oregon. Had everything going his way there. Done pretty much nothing since leaving. The grass often times is not greener.

edit--okay, 2 decent years w/ the Eagles when he first left, but then it went down hill and he got canned, landed with the 49ers and had a disastrous season there

Reaction Score
So we have-

Texas A&M HC + likely staff
Mississippi State HC + likely staff
Boise State HC + likely staff
UCLA HC + likely staff except maybe D'Anton Lynn
Northwestern HC + likely staff
Michigan State + likely staff
USC DC
Penn State OC
Iowa (giggles) 'OC'.
----------
Syracuse?
Baylor?
Arkansas?

Reaction Score
That seat for Franklin is getting real hot too. When you can't beat OSU or UM every year, there's nothing else you can do to make it any better. I kind of feel like PSU is stuck in neutral.
Well, yes, but they’re coasting along in neutral achieving 10-2 or 9-3 almost every year. May we one day be stuck in that level of neutral.

Reaction Score
Sounds like Chip Kelly is about to get fired at UCLA. He shoulda stayed at Oregon. Had everything going his way there. Done pretty much nothing since leaving. The grass often times is not greener.

edit--okay, 2 decent years w/ the Eagles when he first left, but then it went down hill and he got canned, landed with the 49ers and had a disastrous season there
Think he'll take a discount to be our OC?

Reaction Score
Did he replace Mora at UCLA?
Yeah, but at Oregon Kelly had zero recruiting restrictions. At UCLA he has to deal with the academic lobby influencing everything he does which constrains his team building options. It was bad enough in the PAC12, but in the Big 10 it's going to become completely untenable. That's a low key REALLY hard job......there are very, very few institutions where you can both maintain a high academic profile and recruit high level FBS players. Notre Dame, Michigan, Duke and Wake Forest occasionally, maybe UNC. Other than that though it's well nigh impossible.

The point of bringing him to UCONN is he'd be free of the fictitious duality; academics are important to the administration and per Mora our 'footprint' doesn't produce high end high school kids so the thought is you bring in Kelly for his creativity and allow him to cook with the roster at his disposal sans recruiting pressures.

Could work, who knows? I think he and Mora are roughly the same age so they could vibe.

In any event based on his presser it sounds like the entire coaching staff is gonna be turned over as well as a substantial portion of the roster....I'm intrigued to see if Mora can make good his promise to turn the program with 'portal kids' and get some 'hard asses' into the (assume this means coaches and players) program.

It was pretty clear to me based on his comments about the JMU players' physiology and physicality that he has come to the conclusion the team needs to get bigger, faster and stronger. Buckle up.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Well, yes, but they’re coasting along in neutral achieving 10-2 or 9-3 almost every year. May we one day be stuck in that level of neutral.
When you play at that level the expectations are, 10-2, constantly losing to UM and OSU, and not making the CFP is unacceptable. So yeah, that seats gonna get hot

Reaction Score
Well, bring that neutral to Storrs, CT... all day long...

Reaction Score
Yeah, but at Oregon Kelly had zero recruiting restrictions. At UCLA he has to deal with the academic lobby influencing everything he does which constrains his team building options. It was bad enough in the PAC12, but in the Big 10 it's going to become completely untenable. That's a low key REALLY hard job......there are very, very few institutions where you can both maintain a high academic profile and recruit high level FBS players. Notre Dame, Michigan, Duke and Wake Forest occasionally, maybe UNC. Other than that though it's well nigh impossible.

The point of bringing him to UCONN is he'd be free of the fictitious duality; academics are important to the administration and per Mora our 'footprint' doesn't produce high end high school kids so the thought is you bring in Kelly for his creativity and allow him to cook with the roster at his disposal sans recruiting pressures.

Could work, who knows? I think he and Mora are roughly the same age so they could vibe.

In any event based on his presser it sounds like the entire coaching staff is gonna be turned over as well as a substantial portion of the roster....I'm intrigued to see if Mora can make good his promise to turn the program with 'portal kids' and get some 'hard asses' into the (assume this means coaches and players) program.

It was pretty clear to me based on his comments about the JMU players' physiology and physicality that he has come to the conclusion the team needs to get bigger, faster and stronger. Buckle up.
It would definitely make news and he’s been successful in the past. Think Kelly would aim higher and not sure Mora would hire the person he was fired for. Nuheisel fits that equation as well.

Reaction Score
It would definitely make news and he’s been successful in the past. Think Kelly would aim higher and not sure Mora would hire the person he was fired for. Nuheisel fits that equation as well.
That's good because Nuheisel is literally the last person on the planet I would hire.

Reaction Score

Kelly has enough money in the bank that maybe he'd come back east and take the job being the head coach here, but the thought that he would come here to be a coordinator for Mora is nuts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom