2023-24 Transfer portal announcements | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2023-24 Transfer portal announcements

Reaction Score
Nice player

I guess I am a litle confused: why would she enter at this time? If she wants to play elsewhere as a grad transfer in 24-25 wouldi it be necessary to put her name in now? Is it due to needing to talk to coaches about playing options while applying to graduate school?

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I guess I am a litle confused: why would she enter at this time? If she wants to play elsewhere as a grad transfer in 24-25 wouldi it be necessary to put her name in now? Is it due to needing to talk to coaches about playing options while applying to graduate school?

Two thoughts:

1. Ivy schools don't permit grad students to play during an otherwise-eligible fifth year, so she already knows now she can't return to Princeton for a fifth year. That conference rule stands in contrast to every other D1 conference, which permits that arrangement, and is thus why she has announced much earlier than most student-athletes who have a fifth year of availability, but who will have completed their BA/BS by the end of their fourth.

2. I can only speak for a Stanford-type school, but most of our grad programs have fall or early winter admissions deadlines, and she may want to do her grad-transfer recruiting now to know which WBB programs would take her before she bothers applying to grad programs at various schools, since the application process can be a lot of work.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Two thoughts:

1. Ivy schools don't permit grad students to play during an otherwise-eligible fifth year, so she already knows now she can't return to Princeton for a fifth year. That conference rule stands in contrast to every other D1 conference, which permits that arrangement, and is thus why she has announced much earlier than most student-athletes who have a fifth year of availability, but who will have completed their BA/BA by the end of their fourth.

2. I can only speak for a Stanford-type school, but most of our grad programs have fall or early winter admissions deadlines, and she may want to do her grad-transfer recruiting now to know which WBB programs would take her before she bothers applying to grad programs at various schools, since the application process can be a lot of work.
I forgot the Ivys don’t allow 5 year players this morning lol.

Yeah most competitive schools have relatively early admissions deadlines so I can get that. I was just taken aback that someone would put their name in this early while still playing this season.

Reaction Score
Two thoughts:

1. Ivy schools don't permit grad students to play during an otherwise-eligible fifth year, so she already knows now she can't return to Princeton for a fifth year. That conference rule stands in contrast to every other D1 conference, which permits that arrangement, and is thus why she has announced much earlier than most student-athletes who have a fifth year of availability, but who will have completed their BA/BA by the end of their fourth.

Maybe it's a good thing she starts looking at options well in advance. A lot more time to deal with the process in deciding where she wants to go.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Two thoughts:

1. Ivy schools don't permit grad students to play during an otherwise-eligible fifth year, so she already knows now she can't return to Princeton for a fifth year. That conference rule stands in contrast to every other D1 conference, which permits that arrangement, and is thus why she has announced much earlier than most student-athletes who have a fifth year of availability, but who will have completed their BA/BS by the end of their fourth.

Interesting watching you and @TerpWomenFan on this potential transfer.
- On one hand, the Princeton connection and Abby Meyers link to Maryland is interesting, but...
...Meyers is from Maryland and basically signed with the hometown team.
Yet
  • Kaitlyn Chen is from California. Perhaps, in the same vein as Meyers, she'll want to head back home to the Left Coast?
  • Also, what does she want to study? What schools offer it? Are they tough to get into (i.e., Stanford?).
  • A number of Ivy Leaguers who used up their eligibility are now at Southern Cal. Could that be a draw?

Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I forgot the Ivys don’t allow 5 year players this morning lol.

Yeah most competitive schools have relatively early admissions deadlines so I can get that. I was just taken aback that someone would put their name in this early while still playing this season.
It's actually even more stringent than that. The Ivy League gives you the 4 years you had when you enrolled and that's the term you can operate in. So, players who lost a year to Covid would only get three years of athletic competition. There were/are lacrosse players from the Ivies who fled to other top teams because of that.

Abby Hsu, the sharpshooter from Columbia, forsaw this issue and didn't enroll in Columbia in 2020-2021, not knowing if there was going to be a season. As such, she can play the full four years of her enrollment at Columbia (albeit with something of a gap year in between).

Hsu, with her long-distance prowess, would've been an absolutely great addition to any top team. That said, I'll have to get to the Upper West Side (again) to see her play this year.

Reaction Score

Untill a player enters their name into the portal other schools aren't allowed to contact them.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Koi Love (couldn't paste the link)
1694712251642.png

Reaction Score
This is so interesting. I thought she was a special talent when she was at Vandy. Wonder what is going on?

Reaction Score
Koi Love (couldn't paste the link)
View attachment 91436
One of the strangest stories in basketball. Went from being a 20-point scorer at Vanderbilt to riding the bench at Arizona…then USC…and who knows from here.

Adia Barnes often says more than she should IMO but she previously alluded to Love being problematic to the team’s culture and practice habits.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
How in the world does Love still have eligibility left? Is she on the 8 year plan?

Reaction Score
Reading is fundamental. :confused: Had to read it, again. She’s really getting a head start. Good for her. Someone is going to get a good player. Love her motor and decision making on the court.

Reaction Score
I heard that Hanna will not play basketball so Hailey will be a solo act.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
WWE didn't work out for her maybe? Is she breaking up the band and going solo without Hanna?
Yes...Kind of like Carly Simon going solo after The Simon Sisters (why did I think of that?)
Here's an article on it.

Reaction Score
Not 100% sure this is accurate, but if true I'm mixed on it. In my opinion she should sit out the year per the rules. If she gets a waiver then what's the point of sitting out being a requirement?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Guessing a school who has an open 'ship for the Spring semester jumps into consideration . . .

Reaction Score
Guessing a school who has an open 'ship for the Spring semester jumps into consideration . . .

Is she a point, a scoring point or a shooting guard? She seems to be a solid pickup for someone.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Did Hailey already graduate? I didn't keep up. Entering the portal now seems to indicate she'd be targetting the next possible semester to enroll somewhere.

Reaction Score
I don’t care what the ncaa decides but they need to be consistent across the board but they never are

If she’s a Grad Xfer (which is possible), then there are no rules against that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom