Men - 2022 UConn Baseball @ NCAA Tournament’s College Park Regional (6/3> 6/6). Winner Take All - Monday 6/6 @7p v. Maryland on ESPNU. Audio Mixlr/97-9 ESPN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Men 2022 UConn Baseball @ NCAA Tournament’s College Park Regional (6/3> 6/6). Winner Take All - Monday 6/6 @7p v. Maryland on ESPNU. Audio Mixlr/97-9 ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Quick fantasy world question. In the crazy off chance that UC Santa Barbara pulls a huge upset and wins the Stanford regional, and we take care of business in the College Park regional...would we host the Super Regional at Elliot Ballpark as the higher ranked #3 seed?
I believe it depends on if Elliot is approved as a host site. The higher seed gets to officially host but I've seen it where the game is close to the higher seed (Elliot) but also where it still happens at the original planned host site (Stanford). Not 100% sure though so someone else may chime in

Reaction Score
I believe it depends on if Elliot is approved as a host site. The higher seed gets to officially host but I've seen it where the game is close to the higher seed (Elliot) but also where it still happens at the original planned host site (Stanford). Not 100% sure though so someone else may chime in
If Mark Emmett is at all involved the answer is no.

Reaction Score

-> “We’ve had guys with better stuff to be our No. 1 pitcher,” Penders said. “But I don’t think we have had a guy with the combination of poise, baseball IQ and acumen. All those things combine to make one heck of a complete pitcher.”

Add to Peterson’s formula an ornery, competitive streak, instilled in him by two older brothers back in Chesterton, Ind. Six days a week, Penders says, Peterson is “Midwest nice,” and on the day he is pitching, “an East Coast jerk.”

“He’s just a nasty guy on the mound, not fun to be around,” Penders said. “I try to avoid him. I hate going out to get him.”

No matter the score, the inning or pitch count, the coaches have an argument on their hands — “You gottta be kidding me,” for example — when they go to the mound to take Peterson out of a game. <-

Reaction Score

Best Starting Rotation: Maryland

Connecticut might have a claim in 12 other regionals, but the Terrapins’ triple aces is unmatched outside of Tennessee and maybe Gonzaga. They have three different guys that all have legit stuff and have all spent time in the Friday role this season. Jason Savacool, Ryan Ramsey and Nick Dean are a combined 24-5, 3.54 with 266 strikeouts in 261.2 innings.

Best Bullpen: Wake Forest.

The Demon Deacons’ bullpen features six pitchers with 20 or more appearances headlined by sophomore righthander Camden Minacci, who commandeered the closer’s role and had six saves with a 1.33 ERA at the the end of the regular season. The bullpen is deep enough that Eric Adler (0-1, 8.86), who began the season as the closer, and his 96-mph fastball and elite spin rate on a hammer breaking ball has been MIA for much of the last month and a half despite 37 strikeouts in 21.1 innings. If Wake could get him on track, that’d be yet another weapon for it.

Best Offensive Team: Maryland.

Wake Forest has negligably better statistics, but Maryland has a more complete offensive attack with its ability to manufacture runs and attack with aggressiveness on the bases. Both teams are scoring more than nine runs a game and if they face off in the ‘if necessary’ game with the pitching staff’s exhausted, it could be the first to 15 runs.

Best Defensive Team: UConn.

The Huskies have the highest fielding percentage of the bunch and have only got better as the season progressed and Bryan Padilla solidified himself as the everyday shortstop allowing Zach Bushling to move to second and third base where his range is more suited. David Smith struggled at second base initially but has really come on while Ben Huber has been a defensive gem found at a lower level at first base..

No. 1 Seed Win Probability (1-10): 4.

Maryland has all the pieces for a College World Series run, but they have to be able to push aside all the extras that come with being a first-time host. There will be extra pressure playing in front of a rowdy home crowd looking for something to rally around and how the Terrapins handle that could determine whether this regional is there’s to win or if Wake Forest/UConn should be licking their lips at the opportunity in front of them.

Reaction Score
My daughter went to Wake so I follow and root for them. They are very good and Tom Walter runs a great program. However, I bleed blue so Let's Gooooooo Huskies!!

Reaction Score
I noticed the dimensions like Georgetown (330 LF-RF lines/ 375 CF). Maryland's is another of those smaller ballparks (320/325 LF-RF/ 385 CF). Hopefully with different results.

Reaction Score
I noticed the dimensions like Georgetown (330 LF-RF lines/ 375 CF). Maryland's is another of those smaller ballparks (320/325 LF-RF/ 385 CF). Hopefully with different results.

The following was posted in the "Road to Omaha Selection Show" thread:

The Maryland field is not an absolute joke like the G'town field. Although 320 and 325 directly down the lines it goes quickly out to 360+ well before the traditional "power alleys" It is just as deep or even deeper to right center and left center than it is to centerfield. So there is a bit of a power hitter advantage directly down the lines and to straight away centerfield. The Georgetown field was maybe 350 to left and right center and the 375 to centerfield seemed like a bit of an exaggeration.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Quick fantasy world question. In the crazy off chance that UC Santa Barbara pulls a huge upset and wins the Stanford regional, and we take care of business in the College Park regional...would we host the Super Regional at Elliot Ballpark as the higher ranked #3 seed?
The answer is “maybe”.

The official guideline is as follows:

1) Higher seed of the two hosts.
2) If they’re both tied, and “national seeds” (ie from the #1 seed band), the higher ranked of the two gets it.
3) If they’re both tied, the tiebreaker is a bid process. In this scenario, UCSB and UConn have the ability to submit bids (which do not have to be at a university facility; UCSB has hosted a regional at the minor league ballpark in Lake Elsinore, and UConn has hosted in Norwich), and the NCAA can choose one or none of those and host the game at someone else who submits a bid. Stanford may indeed remain the host despite not advancing.

Reaction Score
Top 1st, UConn offense goes down in order.

Web stat page is not working yet. Now it is.

Reaction Score
Bottom 1st, Peterson issues 2 walks, and then a 2 out single makes it 1-0 for Wake Forest.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Peterson getting squeezed by the ump right away on the first batter. Hopefully not an indication of what's to come.

Reaction Score
Peterson with 3 strikeouts in the 1st inning. 1-0 Wake Forest. Peterson threw 27 pitches that inning.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That was a swing but got him on the next pitch. First base Ump has to do better. Inning over.
Looks like we're going to need 5+ runs to win this game.

Reaction Score
Top 2nd, UConn offense goes down 1-2-3. 1-0 Wake Forest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom