2022 Impressive Player | The Boneyard

2022 Impressive Player

Reaction Score
Went to Brewster vs New Hampton last night with a New Hampton 7pt win 81-74 that was a 2 pt war until the last seconds. This was a high paced action packed war played by 2 teams without any 6'10 to 7 ft inside players but tons of 6'6 to 6'8 far above the rim athletes. I still haven't found a New Hampton roster to ID other players, but they have apparently cloned Tyler Lydon with a 2022 soph named Alex Karaban. He has Tyler Lydon size, skills, and versatility with Giffey BB IQ. I didn't find boxscores , but after the game I looked up writeups of their 6 previous games and this game was not an aberration. He scored 27 pts vs Hargrave Academy with 8 rbs, 21 w/7 rbs vs Blair Academy, 12 vs Vermont Academy, 24 vs Tilton, 21 vs Ridley college, and he scored, rebounded, ball handled, defended, and had intangibles last night that made me notice and inquire. My guess is 6'8 to 6'9 wirey strong even as a soph. Karaban with Donovan Clingan is my current 2022 wish list.

FYI New Hampton Alumni include Kenya Hunter. also Ed Cooley, Pat Knight, Cuonzo Martin, that are out there recruiting. Notable past players, Tyler Lydon (Syr), Noah Vonleh (Indiana), Rashad McCants (NC), Lawrence Moten (Syr), Darius Songalia (wake?), and many others.

If anybody watched Texas Tech vs Louisville and saw Chris Clarke play the boards, handle the ball, distribute, and take shots when needed, Kadary Richmond is Chris Clarke. He is a warrior on the boards besides being a ball handler, driver, hit a 3, didn't shoot a high % in this game, but had multiple tips and was relentless. I'm really disappointed he will not be a husky.

Oh. New Hampton is also the 'Huskies', so Karaban is used to being a Husky. Seems like it could be destiny? Huskies + Hunter = Karaban?

Respectfully Submitted for Boneyard Consumption

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wish we would post more videos of players demonstrating intellect - over some windmill dunk. Just saying 'be smart with the ball' is something I wish were taken more seriously. Sometimes our players don't demonstrate that. I could care less about whether you can dunk... Can you think? Sorry... I'll go back to being a fan... yes, I am frustrated... we could have won that game... a bazillion turnovers!

Reaction Score
Love hearing this about Alex Karaban! Alex is a year younger than my son and they played together in middle school. He was a tall guard back then. He could always handle the ball and was a very good shooter. On the 8th grade middle school team (my son was a year ahead so he was not on that team) Alex once scored the first 37 points for their team. They were winning like 37-10 and Alex had all 37 points. Man against boys.

After middle school he went to a catholic school in Worcester and repeated 8th grade (but still played on the varsity as an 8th grader because I guess you can do that there). He transferred back to our public high school for his freshman year last year (should have been a sophomore) and was an absolute stud. He was the Central Massachusetts Player of the Year as a freshman. I watched one of his first games last year, turned to a parent who had a kid on the team, and said there was no way he was coming back to our high school for his sophomore year because I knew the prep schools would be all over him. He and his parents told the high school coach they were willing to play 1 more year at the public high school and then he was probably gone. But then New Hampton offered him a deal and he announced he was transferring there.

He was 6-7 last year but still pretty skinny. He mostly played out on the perimeter but could mix it up some inside also. I know someone who runs the AAU team he plays for, Expressions Elite, and his opinion was that if Alex could grow to 6-9 and put on muscle he could play like a stretch 4 and was a high D1 player. If he stayed at 6-7, he wasn't big enough to play the 4 or athletic enough to play the 3 at a high D1 school and would probably be a mid-major player. If he's really 6-9 and is stronger then that bodes well. Remember, he's only a sophomore right now. Good to hear this. I'll show your post to my son tonight. He'll get a kick out of it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Went to Brewster vs New Hampton last night with a New Hampton 7pt win 81-74 that was a 2 pt war until the last seconds. This was a high paced action packed war played by 2 teams without any 6'10 to 7 ft inside players but tons of 6'6 to 6'8 far above the rim athletes. I still haven't found a New Hampton roster to ID other players, but they have apparently cloned Tyler Lydon with a 2022 soph named Alex Karaban. He has Tyler Lydon size, skills, and versatility with Giffey BB IQ. I didn't find boxscores , but after the game I looked up writeups of their 6 previous games and this game was not an aberration. He scored 27 pts vs Hargrave Academy with 8 rbs, 21 w/7 rbs vs Blair Academy, 12 vs Vermont Academy, 24 vs Tilton, 21 vs Ridley college, and he scored, rebounded, ball handled, defended, and had intangibles last night that made me notice and inquire. My guess is 6'8 to 6'9 wirey strong even as a soph. Karaban with Donovan Clingan is my current 2022 wish list.

FYI New Hampton Alumni include Kenya Hunter. also Ed Cooley, Pat Knight, Cuonzo Martin, that are out there recruiting. Notable past players, Tyler Lydon (Syr), Noah Vonleh (Indiana), Rashad McCants (NC), Lawrence Moten (Syr), Darius Songalia (wake?), and many others.

If anybody watched Texas Tech vs Louisville and saw Chris Clarke play the boards, handle the ball, distribute, and take shots when needed, Kadary Richmond is Chris Clarke. He is a warrior on the boards besides being a ball handler, driver, hit a 3, didn't shoot a high % in this game, but had multiple tips and was relentless. I'm really disappointed he will not be a husky.

Oh. New Hampton is also the 'Huskies', so Karaban is used to being a Husky. Seems like it could be destiny? Huskies, Hunter = Karaban?

Respectfully Submitted for Boneyard Consumption
Who was that kid you kept hyping up who playeds in New England Prep? He had a strange name I think began with a Z, tall white kid with red hair, could shoot, think he was from Nebraska?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Thanks. Ricker has a good eye for talent, don't think anyone was looking at that kid when he was hyping him up.
Agreed. Always like reading Ricker’s thoughts. Even if you go to the games, it’s easy to get tunnel vision and only focus on who you’re there to watch.

Reaction Score
@Ricker, good article for you. Mentions the game you went to.

Gale believes Karaban can become a D1 college player.

“A lot of it comes down to,” Gale said, “how much he wants to work to improve his game and I think he has the desire to want to be good and he isn’t satisfied with just being OK. He seeks help and he seeks coaching to get to that level.”

Hometeam: Change of scenery suits Northboro's Alex Karaban

Reaction Score
I wish we would post more videos of players demonstrating intellect - over some windmill dunk. Just saying 'be smart with the ball' is something I wish were taken more seriously. Sometimes our players don't demonstrate that. I could care less about whether you can dunk... Can you think? Sorry... I'll go back to being a fan... yes, I am frustrated... we could have won that game... a bazillion turnovers!
You’re right. We get completely google eyed over players leaping out of the gym. Yeah we need them, but how about a kid who can knock down a 3, we shot 25% last game. We are a crap shooting team and have been for some time. Nova who we play this weekend doesn’t get 5 stars but they get those smart players that can shoot. Is Hurley on this?

Reaction Score
You’re right. We get completely google eyed over players leaping out of the gym. Yeah we need them, but how about a kid who can knock down a 3, we shot 25% last game. We are a crap shooting team and have been for some time. Nova who we play this weekend doesn’t get 5 stars but they get those smart players that can shoot. Is Hurley on this?
I would agree with you, Chief and others - we need shooters. I just don't get that worked up over a windmill dunk. Shooting a high percentage from 3, steals, assist to turnover ratio, offensive rebounds, flat out hustle, blocks, coachable, ball handling, decision making, approach toward schooling, maturity, etc... etc... are the kinds of things that standout to me. A dunk (to me) proves little - as athleticism is easily determined. It's a hard job - and sometimes mistakes are made. Perfect is not a good term to use unless it's about free throws - or zero turnovers. I will trust the staff, the grind, the process to get it right. I believe what Dan is doing is right and unlike Kevin - he is not distracted - but rather very focused. Going back to being a fan - having faith - and enjoying the rebuild - although painful at times.

Reaction Score
Sorry for adding to an old thread, but I didn't see this update as worthy of its own thread.
As it turns out, New Hampton won AAA Nepsac and Karaban was MVP. His highlights from the finals are here.
. I'm technologically challenged linking things.
In these highlights you see outside shooting, excellent passing, and finishing through contact. He's good at the line, stellar in the classroom, obviously a winner, and already used to calling himself a "Husky", albeit a New Hampton Husky. A Clingan / Karaban era on the heels of a Bouknight / Jackson era is my fantasy. Correction, my basketball fantasy.

Reaction Score
Sorry for adding to an old thread, but I didn't see this update as worthy of its own thread.
As it turns out, New Hampton won AAA Nepsac and Karaban was MVP. His highlights from the finals are here.
In these highlights you see outside shooting, excellent passing, and finishing through contact. He's good at the line, stellar in the classroom, obviously a winner, and already used to calling himself a "Husky", albeit a New Hampton Husky. A Clingan / Karaban era on the heels of a Bouknight / Jackson era is my fantasy. Correction, my basketball fantasy.
Thanks for the post. I heard from some of his friends back here at home he was tearing it up at New Hampton. I've known Karaban since he was a little kid so it's hard for me to think of him as such a highly regarded prospect. But he certainly looks like he's trending as a big time recruit. Remember, he's only a sophomore right now (although he's a year older since he repeated 8th grade).

Reaction Score
I just showed this to my son and he says, "Dad, I've already seen this." I asked him how. From Alex's Instagram. Kids are way ahead of us!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Looks like the live child of Bazz and Cherokee Parks.
Shows he knows how to hedge and use a change of pace to create space to get his and used both hands effectively. Squares up nicely and has a good release point.
If he stays 6'7" and doesn't go high major really seems like a kid that torches UConn for 30 in November or knocks out a high seed in March.

Reaction Score
So my son told me that Alex is very smart and I know that his parents place an emphasis on academics. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Stanford, Vandy, ND, somewhere like that. Maybe Ivies but I'd bet he wants to play at the high major level.

Also got an offer from Indiana this week.

Reaction Score
Reminds me Larry Bird the way he moves and makes shots. Not saying he is but gosh the movement and style is very similar.

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Reminds me Larry Byrd the way he moves and makes shots. Not saying he is but gosh the movement and style is very similar.

Legendary Braves Pitcher Paul Byrd’s brother. A heckuva player, if anyone was wondering.

Reaction Score
Reminds me Larry Byrd the way he moves and makes shots. Not saying he is but gosh the movement and style is very similar.
Please be a typo, please be a typo, please be a typo...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom