2022 Coaching Carousel Begins… | Page 22 | The Boneyard

2022 Coaching Carousel Begins…

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Interesting recruiting differences at the service academies.

"Because tuition is free at the Naval Academy (essentially every student is on “full scholarship”), committed football players don’t sign a Letter of Intent or anything that actually “binds” them to the school. So until someone arrives at Annapolis in June, he isn’t technically “committed” to the school. It has also cost Navy a recruit in the past well after Signing Day, when a scholarship unexpectedly opens at another school."

I think one of the problems for military academies is that congress representatives can get individuals admitted to the academy to play football, but they may not be D1 caliber. Heard that from a WP graduate who indicated that coaches are stuck with these players. Maybe True or False.

Both true. Academies have to draw from all around the country. Each congressman gets a certain number of vouchers or invites from their district. It's meant to ensure the academies reflect all areas of America and diversity of population and geography.

Plus, a kid can leave the academy and refund the cost of attendance but you aren't transferring in to the academis. So, transfer portal is a one way transaction.

For kids who may be marginally qualified (and not just for athletics) they have a one-year prep academy to shore up academics. For Navy it's at Newport, RI.

Bottom line, it's tough but Ken showed he could succeed at the academy. I think over any 20 year period there will be ebbs and flows between USMA, USNA and USAFA. Thinking any one academy will keep a long-term advantage over the other two is wishful thinking.

Finally, the academies athletic programs are heavily (if not fully) funded by donors to minimize tax payer expense funding athletics. So, while athletic success isn't essential to the school's reputation or fan base, those who stroke the checks have egos and have connections with those who stroke checks for the other academies. Never understimate egos being smushed when one team beats another.

Reaction Score
Repenting, forgiveness, and redemption are a pretty big deal in the Christian faith.

Not saying I agree with hiring of Freeze but giving a guy a second chance would not be anathema to their mission I don't think.
Especially if he is a very good coach! Did you ever notice how guys who are good at their jobs find it easier to get forgiveness than guys who aren’t as good?

Reaction Score
Especially if he is a very good coach! Did you ever notice how guys who are good at their jobs find it easier to get forgiveness than guys who aren’t as good?
Yes. No one wants to forgive a lousy coach. But there are limits I suppose. No one is giving Art Briles a job...yet.

Reaction Score
Both true. Academies have to draw from all around the country. Each congressman gets a certain number of vouchers or invites from their district. It's meant to ensure the academies reflect all areas of America and diversity of population and geography.

Plus, a kid can leave the academy and refund the cost of attendance but you aren't transferring in to the academis. So, transfer portal is a one way transaction.

For kids who may be marginally qualified (and not just for athletics) they have a one-year prep academy to shore up academics. For Navy it's at Newport, RI.

Bottom line, it's tough but Ken showed he could succeed at the academy. I think over any 20 year period there will be ebbs and flows between USMA, USNA and USAFA. Thinking any one academy will keep a long-term advantage over the other two is wishful thinking.

Finally, the academies athletic programs are heavily (if not fully) funded by donors to minimize tax payer expense funding athletics. So, while athletic success isn't essential to the school's reputation or fan base, those who stroke the checks have egos and have connections with those who stroke checks for the other academies. Never understimate egos being smushed when one team beats another.
Navy made a huge mistake joining the AAC. When they were independent they could get in their "required" CiC plus Notre Dame games and fill out the remaining schedule with enough winnable games (lots of directional teams) to ensure bowl eligibility. They could also ensure that they weren't playing too often against those teams so the coaches and players couldn't get comfortable facing the option offense. Now most of the AAC teams know Navy's system well and how to prepare for it. Meanwhile Army went in the other direction and has had much more success since going independent. If Gladchuck was smart they would leave the AAC and try to negotiate a joint TV deal with Army.

Reaction Score
Navy made a huge mistake joining the AAC. When they were independent they could get in their "required" CiC plus Notre Dame games and fill out the remaining schedule with enough winnable games (lots of directional teams) to ensure bowl eligibility. They could also ensure that they weren't playing too often against those teams so the coaches and players couldn't get comfortable facing the option offense. Now most of the AAC teams know Navy's system well and how to prepare for it. Meanwhile Army went in the other direction and has had much more success since going independent. If Gladchuck was smart they would leave the AAC and try to negotiate a joint TV deal with Army.
Actually, Army left CUSA after the 2004 season and had 1 winning season in the next 12 years. Army has turned around due to Jeff Monken. Navy went to the AAC because their AD thought it would be difficult to schedule as an independent in the future.

Reaction Score
Actually, Army left CUSA after the 2004 season and had 1 winning season in the next 12 years. Army has turned around due to Jeff Monken. Navy went to the AAC because their AD thought it would be difficult to schedule as an independent in the future.
That's true, but it's because it took Army a while to find the right mix. In the early independent years they tried to play a normal college offense against a relatively difficult schedule. They can't do that because they can recruit athletes, but they couldn't sustain a passing attack as they lack advanced skill position recruits and the academy's PT requirements mean their lines are often 30-50 lbs. below the opposition. They usually had 4-5 what we would now call P5 teams on the non-CiC docket and were pretty beat up by the end of the year.

In the Ellerson and Moncken years they switched to an option offense and started changing the schedule. Now they have a mix of perhaps 1-2 P5's (often a very good one such as Michigan, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Wake Forest etc. in recent years but if they add a second it's going to be a Duke, Vandy, etc. type). They have the 2 CiC games (AFA and Navy) and then fill out the rest with independents not named Notre Dame and lower level league teams - lots of MAC teams and schools with a city or direction in their name. They'll even schedule up to 2 FCS teams in a year as they did this year and next. With that type of schedule they can qualify for bowls most years and go into the Commander-in-Chief games relatively healthy and with the confidence of a winning record.

Reaction Score
Navy has or at least had, a separate tv deal from the AAC. There problem is similar to Army’s in that it is much tougher to recruit the same level of player that their opponents get. They occasionally get a special athlete and they can be very good but if they don’t they will struggle. Both Army and Navy like playing around the country for various reasons. Air Force has never gotten hung up on that same view and has been happy in the MW.

Reaction Score
Navy has or at least had, a separate tv deal from the AAC. There problem is similar to Army’s in that it is much tougher to recruit the same level of player that their opponents get. They occasionally get a special athlete and they can be very good but if they don’t they will struggle. Both Army and Navy like playing around the country for various reasons. Air Force has never gotten hung up on that same view and has been happy in the MW.
It was just the Army Navy game that was kept out of the AAC contract.

Reaction Score
Nah. Navy has a separate deal with CBSSN. Not sure how it fits with the AAC ESPN one, but it runs through 2027 I think. They televise Navy home games. I think but I’m not sure that Navy takes a smaller, maybe none, piece of the AAC money and gets paid by CBS instead but I don’t know the details.

Reaction Score
Saw this a.m. on google that some of Navy's boosters want Gladchuk fired & Niamatalolo reinstated. Wouldn't THAT be a turn of events!

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Saw this a.m. on google that some of Navy's boosters want Gladchuk fired & Niamatalolo reinstated. Wouldn't THAT be a turn of events!
Losing the Army/Navy game any year is brutal. My hub is a USNA alum. This year 2 OT game was heartbreaking, however if KN's description of being fired in the locker room shows no class by the AD, IMHO. Lots of emotions after a loss, and this isn't the way to treat a loyal coach after years of service at a school where it's difficult as hell to recruit. I get it, goal is CIC trophy and a bowl game, but post-covid, perhaps step back with some perspective as to what everyone's been through?

Reaction Score
Losing the Army/Navy game any year is brutal. My hub is a USNA alum. This year 2 OT game was heartbreaking, however if KN's description of being fired in the locker room shows no class by the AD, IMHO. Lots of emotions after a loss, and this isn't the way to treat a loyal coach after years of service at a school where it's difficult as hell to recruit. I get it, goal is CIC trophy and a bowl game, but post-covid, perhaps step back with some perspective as to what everyone's been through?
For a BCU alum and past BCU AD, maybe it's no surprise Gladchuk's firing of 20-year USNA coach Ken Niumatalolo was not the former's first controversial decision. Despite Gladchuk alleging corporate sponsors motivated or influenced his most recent tacky act, some USNA brass in Annapolis, Navy brass in general, and some Navy ring knockers alike may have tired of Navy's 4-10 CIC record the last 7 years (2-5 against both USAFA and USMA). Reasonable or not, some may not have signed a Fire Chet Gladchuk petition.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is totally uncalled for. Gladchuk could not wait until after they went back to the campus? I mean, the man gave 15 years of his life to the academy for this? The Navy needs to re-examine this move.
I think this is kind of a big deal. Army and Navy carry themselves like they are different and are treated that way. This is a move made by just another cruddy team.

Reaction Score
As Hyman Roth said to Michael Corleone "This is the business we have chosen". Coaches get fired in a myriad of ways. Bottom line, the program was stale. It was time for Niamatalolo to go.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom