2022-23 Pre-Season Bracketology (merged thread) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2022-23 Pre-Season Bracketology (merged thread)

Reaction Score
Uconn should be (still) the # 1 seed over Texas #2? We'll see this soon enough

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Duke as a #8 seed? Like Future says..

We will be higher.. Trust me.

Reaction Score
We will be a borderline 1 seed because we have no one to drive the ball as far as I know. So our open threes are gonna be hard to get. Which means our posts are gonna need to be really good so our shooters can get some space. Against the top teams this won’t be good enough I’m afraid. Unless someone has gotten better at this. Caroline is pretty good at it and I’m sure Azzi can also but it’s not their strong suit. Some games it’s gonna be hard for us to score. KK Arnold would be perfect for this team.

Reaction Score
We will be a borderline 1 seed because we have no one to drive the ball as far as I know.
I’m pretty sure Azzi can drive the ball if we want her to. Call me a dreamer, but I suspect Azzi would be the top point guard in the land if we give her that task.

Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure Azzi can drive the ball if we want her to. Call me a dreamer, but I suspect Azzi would be the top point guard in the land if we give her that task.
Azzi looked a half step slow last year. Yes, yes, I know she had high school injuries that she probably didn’t fully recover from before her freshman year injury. Yes, I know some of that could also be attributed to a freshman’s hesitancy . Nevertheless, I am waiting to see what her speed is like this year before I would say she can or can’t be “the top point guard in the land.”

Reaction Score
Even a half step slow, she was as quick as Paige, who was arguably the greatest point guard in the land. It’s not always about speed, though that’s a type we all know well. Azzi and Paige are quick enough to get their shot whenever that want it, which means they have to be defended, even double teamed, at any midrange and especially in the lane. That’s what makes them great point guards.

But I take your point and hope Azzi shows up in November a half step quicker.

Reaction Score
As I mentioned on another thread earlier today, we need to remember that Caitlin Clark is still around (for two more seasons). I could see an argument for Paige as a better point guard than Caitlin were she to be healthy, but no one else right now.

I believe Azzi could be an outstanding point guard, but to be better than Caitlin would take a giant leap. Dream away, Bone Dog. I'd love to see it.

Reaction Score
As I mentioned on another thread earlier today, we need to remember that Caitlin Clark is still around (for two more seasons). I could see an argument for Paige as a better point guard than Caitlin were she to be healthy, but no one else right now.

I believe Azzi could be an outstanding point guard, but to be better than Caitlin would take a giant leap. Dream away, Bone Dog. I'd love to see it.
You have a point. Caitlin was second only to Paige two years ago, and she may be a better perimeter shooter than Azzi, or at least her equal. She’s got a step back 3 off the dribble moving left that I haven’t seen from Azzi, or anyone else for that matter. And she gets a ton of assists.

In fact, iirc, Caitlin’s stats taken singly were even better than Paige’s. But those compound stats the experts favor gave the nod to Paige in the npoy voting two years ago. In effect, Paige just made her team better (more better) than Caitlin was able to. This is what I expect from Azzi, and I think Geno has a similar expectation.

Reaction Score
Texas has a creampuff non conference schedule, not counting U Conn. The huskies have the toughest non conference games in the country. Don't understand Charlie's logic, he knows that strength of schedule is a component in seeding, unless he believes the Longhorns will win in Storrs.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
You have a point. Caitlin was second only to Paige two years ago, and she may be a better perimeter shooter than Azzi, or at least her equal. She’s got a step back 3 off the dribble moving left that I haven’t seen from Azzi, or anyone else for that matter. And she gets a ton of assists.

In fact, iirc, Caitlin’s stats taken singly were even better than Paige’s. But those compound stats the experts favor gave the nod to Paige in the npoy voting two years ago. In effect, Paige just made her team better (more better) than Caitlin was able to. This is what I expect from Azzi, and I think Geno has a similar expectation.
Clark's 3FG% dipped last season from her freshman season -- 40% to 33%.

She gets a ton of assists but also a ton of turnovers. She averages well over 200 assists per season but almost 150 turnovers.

Reaction Score
Nov 14 to be exact.

Both teams have a lot of question marks. Both teams lost 4 of their top 6 scorers from last season. UConn will rely heavily on a mix of returning players (Fudd, Ducharme, Muhl, Juhasz, Edwards), a transfer (Lou) and two elite freshmen. Vic will seemingly rely heavily on returning players (Harmon, Moore and Gaston) and 3 transfers (Gonzalez, Morris and Jones). I don't know much about Texas's 3 freshmen (HG #s 34, 63 and 67 (out with acl tear)) and how much they'll play.

Interesting that Creme thinks Texas will have better answers than UConn.
Harmon , Moore , and the transfers he's reeled in seem to have Creme acting overzellous . I think they will win the Big12 but they are not top seed material nor will their stalemate offense even with those two and Sonya morris get them over the hump.

Reaction Score
interesting but not surprising.

And Tennessee? Why not LSU, which finished ahead of the LVs in the SEC?
The talent on paper most likely gives Tenn the edge.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Harmon , Moore , and the transfers he's reeled in seem to have Creme acting overzellous . I think they will win the Big12 but they are not top seed material nor will their stalemate offense even with those two and Sonya morris get them over the hump.
Actually, Creme had Texas as Top 4 in his way early Top 25 rankings, and as a #1 seed back in his April bracket; that was well before any players had decided to transfer to Texas.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know what you mean. Morris is a proficient scorer, capable of averaging 20 over a season. But that was in the DePaul "Wild West" offense. I wonder how she'll fit in to Vic's scheme. Will he modify the scheme to take better advantage of her skills?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I know what you mean. Morris is a proficient scorer, capable of averaging 20 over a season. But that was in the DePaul "Wild West" offense. I wonder how she'll fit in to Vic's scheme. Will he modify the scheme to take better advantage of her skills?
Doubtful. Vic is locked into the dribble, dribble, dribble-drive offense. I'm thinking Gonzalez will thrive in it more so than Morris.

Morris attempted more than 500 FGs last season at DePaul while no Texas player attempted 400. Sonya is a pretty good player who will need to adapt to a much different approach, both in terms of pace and defensive expectations.

Reaction Score
Doubtful. Vic is locked into the dribble, dribble, dribble-drive offense. I'm thinking Gonzalez will thrive in it more so than Morris.

Morris attempted more than 500 FGs last season at DePaul while no Texas player attempted 400. Sonya is a pretty good player who will need to adapt to a much different approach, both in terms of pace and defensive expectations.
You're probably right. I think she's a substantial talent, but if Vic can't or won't get her enough shots, I don't see how she can add much, and by extension how Texas can be ranked in the top 10.

Reaction Score
You're probably right. I think she's a substantial talent, but if Vic can't or won't get her enough shots, I don't see how she can add much, and by extension how Texas can be ranked in the top 10.
Texas has been to two straight Elite Eights with a lot less talent on the roster than they have now.

They added Taylor Jones who is a top-ten post player nationally when healthy. Shaylee Gonzalez and Sonya Morris won’t produce the same scoring numbers they did at BYU and DePaul but will still create a more consistent and productive offense than Texas had before. Add in sophomore leaps from Harmon and Moore and this looks like a top-five team to me.

Reaction Score
Texas has been to two straight Elite Eights with a lot less talent on the roster than they have now.

They added Taylor Jones who is a top-ten post player nationally when healthy. Shaylee Gonzalez and Sonya Morris won’t produce the same scoring numbers they did at BYU and DePaul but will still create a more consistent and productive offense than Texas had before. Add in sophomore leaps from Harmon and Moore and this looks like a top-five team to me.
I get that. I guess I’m in the habit of thinking of Texas as underdogs and that leads me to rank them lower. But they are scrappy underdogs. That’s what I always love about them.

Also worth observing that your reasoning for calling them top 5 is the same one we use for thinking of UConn as a top 2 team. I like it.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I wouldn't call her a "substantial talent." Morris will need to take advantage of fewer opportunities at Texas. She's a decent 3-point shooter, something neither Harmon nor Gonzalez are known for.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call her a "substantial talent." Morris will need to take advantage of fewer opportunities at Texas. She's a decent 3-point shooter, something neither Harmon nor Gonzalez are known for.
After averaging 5 pts as a freshman, she averaged 15.6, 19.3 and 17.6 the next three years. I think that counts as a substantial talent. But you’re right, she’s only a 35% 3 pt shooter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom