2021 UConn Baseball Schedule | The Boneyard

2021 UConn Baseball Schedule

Reaction Score
After hearing the Bouknight news, I was a little disappointed but this... this is great!!! Opening again with a top 25 opponent is gonna be sweet!

Reaction Score
The Virginia series is now listed on the 2021 UConn baseball schedule on the athletics website. It wouldn't surprise me if the schedule basically gets gradually tweeted out like this rather than have an actual story of a full season schedule release given the way things are going athletically with the pandemic. We'll see how it all goes.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if Virginia will allow fans in the stands??

Reaction Score
The Virginia series is now listed on the 2021 UConn baseball schedule on the athletics website. It wouldn't surprise me if the schedule basically gets gradually tweeted out like this rather than have an actual story of a full season schedule release given the way things are going athletically with the pandemic. We'll see how it all goes.

The ACC schedules started coming out today...

Reaction Score
Anyone want to guess the three UConn starters?

My guess would be Casparius, Simeone, and Wurster. I would think that if the coaching staff is seriously interested in turning Wurster into a starter as they seem to be, he'll get a shot at weekend duty right away. Given the depth of the pitching staff, it also wouldn't surprise me if I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
My guess would be Casparius, Simeone, and Wurster. It seems that if the coaching staff is seriously interested in turning Wurster into a starter, he'll get a shot at weekend duty right away. Given the depth of the pitching staff, it also wouldn't surprise me if I'm wrong.
You can't move Wurster out of the pen if you're not making him a weekend starter. It would be like Roscoe Smith deciding he was a 3, rather than a 3/4, so he could give up 20 minutes a game of playing time. Wait -- that actually happened, didn't it?

I've got Casparius on Friday night, and either Wurster or Haus either Saturday or Sunday (1 of them will be in the back of the bullpen). I have no clue between Dunlop, Simeone or Wang who else gets the call, but that means 2 of them won't and given that all 3 of them were weekend starters in either 20 or 19, certainly bodes well for the season.

But given what we're hearing about the schedule, it may be that this year you need four weekend starters and have far fewer midweek games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You can't move Wurster out of the pen if you're not making him a weekend starter. It would be like Roscoe Smith deciding he was a 3, rather than a 3/4, so he could give up 20 minutes a game of playing time.

I've got Casparius on Friday night, and either Wurster or Haus either Saturday or Sunday (1 of them will be in the back of the bullpen). I have no clue between Dunlop, Simeone or Wang who else gets the call, but that means 2 of them won't and given that all 3 of them were weekend starters in either 20 or 19, certainly bodes well for the season.

But given what we're hearing about the schedule, it may be that this year you need four weekend starters and have far fewer midweek games.

I posted before that I believe the move to the starting rotation for Wurster is to give him a better shot in getting picked in the MLB draft, as it would seem he doesn't have enough on his fast ball to get MLB scouts excited for current bullpen use. I would agree that the move makes no sense if he is not used on the weekends, as the best pitchers on a college staff get plenty of weekend use since that is when conference games usually take place..

I suspect Haus will see a lot of bullpen time, but we will see. There was an interview with the coaching staff during fall ball that mentioned Colby Dunlop was being moved to the bullpen, they just think he will be more effective there. Another possible candidate for the starting staff would seem to be JUCO transfer Austin Peterson. It would also seem that Patrick Gallagher could be a weekend starter as well sometime in the future.

It wouldn't surprise me if there are more four game weekends this season as well, so another weekend starter may be needed. If that were to happen, my best guess at this point would be either Peterson or Wang for that spot. According to a tweet several days ago, UConn has a four game weekend against Texas Tech scheduled for mid March.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
According to the College Baseball tweet UConnbsb retweeted, Texas Tech is the number 3 team in the country and Virginia is #10. Southern Miss also comes in at #48. Great opportunities to move up against great opponents to start the year. Gotta build the resume!

Reaction Score
With the latest UConn baseball schedule announcements, that takes care of 5 weekends for regular season games. In a normal season, there would be 14 weekends. It will be interesting to see if there are any blank weekends for games scheduled this season.

Reaction Score
You can't move Wurster out of the pen if you're not making him a weekend starter. It would be like Roscoe Smith deciding he was a 3, rather than a 3/4, so he could give up 20 minutes a game of playing time. Wait -- that actually happened, didn't it?

Looking at the non conference schedule, If the Big East sticks to its tweeted plan of having four game conference weekends, it is very possible that UConn could have a few six game weeks in April and May when I would think the Big East conference schedule would be played out. That's been pretty rare in the past, but who knows what we will see this season.

Reaction Score
A few more quality non-conference:

Coastal Carolina always a solid team, so it is good to see them on the schedule again. This announcement puts UConn baseball at 30 scheduled non conference games. If the previous tweet of 28 Big East games holds, that would put the schedule at 58 games, two more than the normal 56 regular season schedule. Of course, some pandemic cancellations would hardly be a surprise.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom