2021 Scheduling | The Boneyard

2021 Scheduling

Reaction Score
Need to continue the urgency to scheduling and get the 2021 schedule cemented in place and out to the public. That would do a ton for public perception (ticket purchases) and recruiting of the 2021 class any beyond. Additionally it would make a TV deal more tangible. Now is the time to get home and homes with some former BE/AAC foes for 2021 or take another money game with Florida St. Lots of options for 2021, and I know the AD staff is working diligently, but getting it done and out for others to see would help the program on lots of levels.

So far UConn has the following for 2021:

9/2 - Holy Cross
9/11 - Purdue
9/18 - at Army
9/25
10/2
10/9 - at UMass
10/16
10/23
10/30
11/6
11/13 - at Clemson ($1.2 million)
11/20 - at UCF ($1 million)

Reaction Score
Absolutely agree. That schedule now is our priority for all the reasons you cited.

Reaction Score
Need to continue the urgency to scheduling and get the 2021 schedule cemented in place and out to the public. That would do a ton for public perception (ticket purchases) and recruiting of the 2021 class any beyond. Additionally it would make a TV deal more tangible. Now is the time to get home and homes with some former BE/AAC foes for 2021 or take another money game with Florida St. Lots of options for 2021, and I know the AD staff is working diligently, but getting it done and out for others to see would help the program on lots of levels.

So far UConn has the following for 2021:

9/2 - Holy Cross
9/11 - Purdue
9/18 - at Army
9/25
10/2
10/9 - at UMass
10/16
10/23
10/30
11/6
11/13 - at Clemson ($1.2 million)
11/20 - at UCF ($1 million)

I'm not as concerned with the urgency as you. If it was urgent that the schedule be done now, we'd be calling the Sunbelt and CUSA and MAC and getting it done in a week. If you want to see if we can make it as good as possible, you have to give it time.

Reaction Score
That's a pretty decent start. Considering how 2020 turned out and looking ahead, I'm not really worried. 2023 has 6 games slated with 4 against p5 teams, 2 home 2 away.

Reaction Score

If you're not giving the AD the benefit of the doubt as to scheduling at this stage, then i don't know what to say. Try to relax over the holiday week - have some turkey, enjoy watching some games, maybe drive down to Philly and join us for the final AAC game, EVER! But don't make demands to satisfy your prurient interests - we can complain about a lot here, scheduling ain't one of them.

Reaction Score
Half of it is already filled out. Still plenty of time to get some other decent games on the schedule.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Definitely give DB the benefit of the doubt. The point that the more full the home schedule gets for 2021 and beyond the better position to negotiate media contracts is also valid.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Gee, everyone jumping on @UConnRock when all I think he wanted to do is open a thread to discuss 2021 scheduling, albeit with some urgency...

As for 2021, I’d be impressed if UConn can get either Temple/Rutty to break up their game or Syracuse/Rutty to get two games with each.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'd love to see a H and H against another Huskies (Washington), maybe as an incentive to get UW to play UConn WBB...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Looking at some other ideas for 2021, to get games in FL and GA we could try to break up the BYU-USF game or the BYU-Georgia Southern game.

We have to have games in FL or GA at least every other year.

Reaction Score
P5 teams with open dates in 2021: BC, FSU, Miami, TCU, Maryland, Mississippi State, Tennessee.
BC and Tenn are already on contracts for future games. Don't see the opening for them to be added in 2021 particularly as home games which is what that schedule really needs. The BC opening looks like an FCS slot so unless they monkey with the dates of the current contract that is not happening. .Miami looks like it could use a FBS home game. MD and MS State also look like FBS slots being open.

Future College Football Schedules | FBSchedules.com

Reaction Score
Gee, everyone jumping on @UConnRock when all I think he wanted to do is open a thread to discuss 2021 scheduling, albeit with some urgency...

As for 2021, I’d be impressed if UConn can get either Temple/Rutty to break up their game or Syracuse/Rutty to get two games with each.

Incredibly unlikely. The games that you can "break up," as we did, are games where there is no reason for the two teams to be playing each other in the first place but for they each needed a game on their schedule. Syracuse wants to play in NJ for recruiting and they have the same Big EAst history we do. Rutgers and Temple and an hour apart.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Incredibly unlikely. The games that you can "break up," as we did, are games where there is no reason for the two teams to be playing each other in the first place but for they each needed a game on their schedule. Syracuse wants to play in NJ for recruiting and they have the same Big EAst history we do. Rutgers and Temple and an hour apart.
No idea how you could be so dismissive after the scheduling they just pulled off for 2020. The world is more open then you were giving any credence to. I hear Temple will be friendly while rutty surely looking for easy wins. And it’s not like these games will never happen, we are merely inserting ourselves and they would postpone their series to a future year..

Reaction Score
No idea how you could be so dismissive after the scheduling they just pulled off for 2020. The world is more open then you were giving any credence to. I hear Temple will be friendly while rutty surely looking for easy wins. And it’s not like these games will never happen, we are merely inserting ourselves and they would postpone their series to a future year..

What are the games that we broke up? Name the natural rivalries that were given up to allow UConn to jump into the mix.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Not worried. 2020 was the test and AD Dave aced it. Great foundation for 2021 and the rest will fall in place in time. Thanks for keeping it on the radar with this post. We may be in a solid place, but no time for coasting.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
What are the games that we broke up? Name the natural rivalries that were given up to allow UConn to jump into the mix.
UNC- ODU has proximity. Ole Miss and Mid Tenn are actually relatively close.
Point is- AD David Benedict got all that done with very little time and zero leverage- absolutely none.

Breaking up one of Syr-Rutty or Rutty-Temple is not highly likely- but it’s not absurd.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
BC and Tenn are already on contracts for future games. Don't see the opening for them to be added in 2021 particularly as home games which is what that schedule really needs. The BC opening looks like an FCS slot so unless they monkey with the dates of the current contract that is not happening. .Miami looks like it could use a FBS home game. MD and MS State also look like FBS slots being open.

Future College Football Schedules | FBSchedules.com
Once we get a couple years out I suspect that we will be seeing teams like UMass, Liberty and Army in November. The big struggle with independent scheduling is home games late in the season. It just makes sense for us to schedule each other in home and away’s in November.

Personally I wouldn’t mind seeing a UMass Thanksgiving game on an annual basis. For those of us who are old enough, UMass was a big rival back in the day. While I hope and expect the program will move beyond them again, right now, we’re fairly equivalent programs, as much as it pains me to say that. We should emphasize the game against each other, since, frankly, no one else is getting excited about playing either one of us right now. Hopefully we can grow together.

Reaction Score
My point in the first post was and is that when you are trying to lay the groundwork for future recruiting classes and trying to pique fan interest, knowing who is on the schedule has value. There was a level of excitement on this board when the 2020 schedule was came out and we realized that independence has value. The same can happen for 2021 and beyond. First impressions mean a lot in recruiting and having a schedule in place would help.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
P5 teams with open dates in 2021: BC, FSU, Miami, TCU, Maryland, Mississippi State, Tennessee.
I think AD Dave has proven that, with David Brown on speed dial, current schedules for whomever at whatever level can be broken up and games can be had on shorter notice than 17 months.

The concern at this point is media coverage for the 2020 schedule and beyond. SNY with a good announcing crew needs to be locked down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom