2021 Gavitt Games | The Boneyard

2021 Gavitt Games

Reaction Score

I think we already knew this, but no UConn this year.

Wish we could have seen UConn/Rutgers instead of DePaul/Rutgers.

Edit: I’m looking at this again and I just realized that Nova is also not playing and there are a couple B10 teams left out. Wondering why they didn’t add more matchups.

Reaction Score
Edit: I’m looking at this again and I just realized that Nova is also not playing and there are a couple B10 teams left out. Wondering why they didn’t add more matchups.
So they left out the 2 best BE teams....I guess the B1G is afraid :rolleyes:

Seems like Uconn-MD would have been a natural

Reaction Score

I think we already knew this, but no UConn this year.

Wish we could have seen UConn/Rutgers instead of DePaul/Rutgers.

Ah yes thank goodness they scheduled Rutgers v. DePaul. Will set the game of basketball back 50 years.

Reaction Score
Have Ohio St Xavier battle of Ohio
Have Nebraska Creighton Battle of Nebraska
Why not Depaul vs Northwestern or Illinois
Butler vs Indiana
Marquette vs Wisconsin (may play anyway annually)
Villanova vs Penn St

Reaction Score
So from the BE: No UConn, Nova, GTown

B10: No Maryland, Iowa, Purdue, Penn State, Northwestern, Minnesota

Reaction Score
Butler vs Indiana
Villanova vs Penn St

Butler-Indiana happens every other year in the Cross-Roads classic and Marquette-Wisconsin is an annual game. I thought Creighton-Nebraska was an annual game too but I guess not

Reaction Score
So from the BE: No UConn, Nova, GTown

B10: No Maryland, Iowa, Purdue, Penn State, Northwestern, Minnesota
Since the B10 has more teams than the BE I wonder why they don't have every BE team play and just exclude 3 B10 teams every year. Television could only give them so many slots?

Reaction Score
Butler vs Indiana
Villanova vs Penn St

I actually liked that they mixed it up. A lot of new matchups or teams that have not seen eachother for a long time.

Also as @Guapo said, some of these are already regular/fairly regular matchups. In that vein, the Creighton/Nebraska is a waste of a Gavitt Game slot.

Reaction Score
If they're not gonna go with as many contests as possible (11 here), at least go with an odd number so there's no chance of a tie.

Reaction Score
I actually liked that they mixed it up. A lot of new matchups or teams that have not seen eachother for a long time.

Also as @Guapo said, some of these are already regular/fairly regular matchups. In that vein, the Creighton/Nebraska is a waste of a Gavitt Game slot.

Do you consider Wisconsin a rival and how much does it annoy you when Wisconsin fans say you’re not one?

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
Creighton and Nebraska play every year anyhow so having them matchup as part of this challenge is a total cop out.

Definitely agree that matching up Ohio St. and X is intriguing though. The Thad Matta Bowl lol

Reaction Score
Do you consider Wisconsin a rival and how much does it annoy you when Wisconsin fans say you’re not one?

WI is definitely a rival. Their comments regarding them not seeing MU as a rival is actually their (highly successful) attempt to get under Marquette fan's skin. Between the effort they put into that, the high turnout and viewership of the games, the smack talking that happens at workplaces, and amount of space MU takes up in their forums is proof it's a rivalry. :D Besides, nothing better than a grumpy badger fan after they lose that game.

Reaction Score
This is an awful lineup, how are you going to have a Big East Big 10 slate without the best Big East teams involved?

Reaction Score
This is an awful lineup, how are you going to have a Big East Big 10 slate without the best Big East teams involved?
Imagine some people's shock as BE wins the series without them?

I understand the disappointment though... you want to see the premier teams represent the conference.

Reaction Score
WI is definitely a rival. Their comments regarding them not seeing MU as a rival is actually their (highly successful) attempt to get under Marquette fan's skin. Between the effort they put into that, the high turnout and viewership of the games, the smack talking that happens at workplaces, and amount of space MU takes up in their forums is proof it's a rivalry. :D Besides, nothing better than a grumpy badger fan after they lose that game.

Lol I know, my mom is from Kenosha and I have a bunch of cousins who went to UW - the amount of time they spend saying they don’t care about Marquette inherently belies the statement

Reaction Score
rigged matchups. creighton might get the only W.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lol I know, my mom is from Kenosha and I have a bunch of cousins who went to UW - the amount of time they spend saying they don’t care about Marquette inherently belies the statement

@MU in MKE I guess you’re kind of an odd expert on this topic, but I bet if you asked my family who Wisconsin’s biggest rival is in all things (not just basketball), they’d probably say Minnesota. Would you say that’s true for most Wisconsin alum? Or would some say Michigan or something like that?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Ha yeah, it's trolling on an epic level because pretty much every hardcore Badger fan has picked up on it. The casual MBB fan in the state will probably say "I root for all Wisconsin teams!" while not even realizing Green Bay and Milwaukee or the Horizon league itself are D1. lol

@MU in MKE I guess you’re kind of an odd expert on this topic, but I bet if you asked my family who Wisconsin’s biggest rival is in all things (not just basketball), they’d probably say Minnesota. Would you say that’s true for most Wisconsin alum? Or would some say Michigan or something like that?

No, without a doubt MN. I mean, there's a high level of animosity towards OSU, Michigan, MSU, etc... but yeah, MN probably takes it. At least historically. Only problem is MN hasn't been much competition for them in recent years, so the actual passion short term may sway to Michigan State or Iowa or whoever the most competitive team is in the west division at the time. (Except in BB it's clearly MU! lol)

Reaction Score
Creighton/Nebraska is low-key interesting. How will McDermott’s talented freshman class play? How will the McGowens bros play together?

St. John’s/Indiana too. Woodson did a heck of a job retaining talent and how willPosh grow with an almost brand new supporting cast?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ha yeah, it's trolling on an epic level because pretty much every hardcore Badger fan has picked up on it. The casual MBB fan in the state will probably say "I root for all Wisconsin teams!" while not even realizing Green Bay and Milwaukee or the Horizon league itself are D1. lol

No, without a doubt MN. I mean, there's a high level of animosity towards OSU, Michigan, MSU, etc... but yeah, MN probably takes it. At least historically. Only problem is MN hasn't been much competition for them in recent years, so the actual passion short term may sway to Michigan State or Iowa or whoever the most competitive team is in the west division at the time. (Except in BB it's clearly MU! lol)

Thanks, I think rivalry dynamics are super fascinating

MJ1

Reaction Score
No UConn for Big East vs Big 10
Prov. at Wisconsin
Illinois at Marquette
S. Hall at Michigan
Creighton at Nebraska
Mich. St at Butler
St. John’s at Indiana
Ohio State at Xavier *
Rutgers at DePaul

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Uh, last year I get but... what the duck?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
This is disappointing but I think we knew our omission. I just hope we have at least one high profile home game OOC this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom