2021 Coaches on Hot Seat | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2021 Coaches on Hot Seat

Which coach(es) should be fired/replaced?

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Wake Forest has some good young players but she loses a lot after this season and when you coach in a power five conference every other team also has some good young players so you have to be able to win regularly if you're going to get out of the basement.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm not throwing any live grenade, it is a legit question based on record. This is the general WBB forum not the UConn specific one, if we can't separate evaluating a coach on resume just because she graduated from UConn around 25 years ago then that is a little odd
Actually, Jen's problems have been raised on and off for years. She did a great job in the beginning at Hartford, but eventually struggled there; some UConn fans also thought they played a bit too physical, I have absolutely no idea, but it was claimed. She has not had any notable success at GW.

Always liked Jen and don't doubt that she can coach - she has been involved with the national team - which makes me question what the root issue is. Recruiting? Talent level?

I can't imagine them making a change, however, at least until her contract is up.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Actually, Jen's problems have been raised on and off for years. She did a great job in the beginning at Hartford, but eventually struggled there; some UConn fans also thought they played a bit too physical, I have absolutely no idea, but it was claimed. She has not had any notable success at GW.

Always liked Jen and don't doubt that she can coach - she has been involved with the national team - which makes me question what the root issue is. Recruiting? Talent level?

I can't imagine them making a change, however, at least until her contract is up.
Oh KnightBridge, you start out so well on your response and then did a "crazy Ivan". Just because her connections to a certain coach from the National team got her a gig, doesn't mean she can actually coach a program...There's a long list of USA Team assistant coaches who more than failed badly running their own programs over the years...

Reaction Score
There are a lot of aspects beyond (xx's & oo's) or teaching individual skills that are involved with being a head coach than what is required of an assistant. This is why many vary capable assistant coaches fail once they have to head up a program. This go's triple for players.

Reaction Score
Why did I select all of them? Lol - only two options? I’d go Nikki Fargas first because I expect more from LSU and it’s my home state. Plus she’d be hired immediately as an assistant because so many lady vols are coaching and she’s well respected whether I think she can coach or not. The other would be Stephanie White because she’s had enough time to prove she can coach. I wouldn’t fire Terri Flournoy or Sherri Coale, I don’t think it matters who’s coaching at Auburn or Oklahoma. It’s not going to get much better. And Coale built her program and has had success although she hasn’t done much lately.

Reaction Score
This may be true but that doesn't mean everything. Football will always be to the forefront because that is the money maker and what allows pretty much every other program to have nice things (mens and womens)

Football is obviously king at LSU but they have invested in a lot of money into the women's programs over the last decade. Best gymnastics facility in the country, new softball performance indoor facility, brand new beach volleyball facilities, updates to locker rooms and increased recruiting budgets for pretty much every women's program.

In WBB's case, Nikki kept getting extended due to @triaddukefan awful ex athletic director who completely gave up on the program. He extended her right before he was replaced. Nikki has been the epitome of mediocrity at LSU. Poor recruiting with no changes in offensive philosophy. She gets to the NCAAT every other year but gets knocked out the first round when she does make it. It isn't good enough to just make the NCAAT in my opinion. With the resources they give the program, much better should be expected. This program is a shadow from Pokey's days with Fowles and Simone. The talent has dried up in BR and if very lifeless these days. Change is needed, its time to move on.

LSU+Gymnastics+4.jpg

EN3Kw8vU4AAWNcl

It’s a whole lot easier to invest and compete in gymnastics, since it’s a considerably smaller sport on the NCAA scale. Obviously not downplaying what it takes to be a successful NCAA gymnastics program, but when you’re competing with a handful of schools for the best talent, it’s not hard to invest to be one of the best. I think Nikki has a tough draw considering the school she’s at. LSU just isn’t a basketball school, and until recently, even the men’s program wasn’t a priority there. I do think she can be more successful with a few tweaks in recruiting and offensive philosophies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think Tsipis should be shown the door too. He's missed out on some very good in state talent and they've never won more than 4 games in Big Ten play during his era. They're winless in conference so far, too. He's on season 5 of showing no signs of improvement. Time to try something new.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think Tsipis should be shown the door too. He's missed out on some very good in state talent and they've never won more than 4 games in Big Ten play during his era. They're winless in conference so far, too. He's on season 5 of showing no signs of improvement. Time to try something new.
He's been a disappointment given his previous success but a minor point if not salient point in his defense, this program was terrible from the top down-no money, no attempt to upgrade the facilities, no true recruiting coordination to meet and establish ties to the state HS and they still underpay. Tsipis has made some in-roads to close the gap to the next worse programs in the Big10. Versus say, Steph White who was signed to a huge contract, top pay for assistants, big budget for all the staff and equipment and PATHETIC results. Just sayin...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom