2021 Big East Tournament at MSG: No fans expected, “all systems go” per Val Ackerman | The Boneyard

2021 Big East Tournament at MSG: No fans expected, “all systems go” per Val Ackerman

Reaction Score

Rothstein reporting the 2021 Big East Tournament is a go. Believe the tournament would start on March 10th. It is also being reported that the expectation is not every team will play 20 league games, winner of the conference will be based upon winning percentage. UConns next game is Feb 6 and the regular season likely ends March 6. Unless additional games are added, UConn probably won’t play 20 games. Also curious to see how the BE tournament lines up with the covid protocol of The NCAAT.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s crazy that we’ve only played 11 games so far. In normal times, we usually play 10-11 games by Christmas or New Year’s. After Saturday’s game vs Seton Hall, we only have 8 more games scheduled, and 5 of them are on the road. Fans or no fans, Id rather us have more games in Gampel than not.

Reaction Score
It’s crazy that we’ve only played 11 games so far. In normal times, we usually play 10-11 games by Christmas or New Year’s. After Saturday’s game vs Seton Hall, we only have 8 more games scheduled, and 5 of them are on the road. Fans or no fans, Id rather us have more games in Gampel than not.
It’s really odd. And now look at Xavier, they’ve played 6 conf games and are on pause again. They will go over a month without a game. It’s tough to pull off, not mad about that, thankful to get some games. I just am concerned with the conf tourney and the big dance. What happens if people test positive then? Do you just cancel the game? Or what about if Baylor/Gonzaga tests positive night before the 1/16 game, then what? Just a lot of what if’s. More communication and plans would be helpful. Hopefully the BE maximizes it’s teams into the tourney and we actually get to play this thing.

Reaction Score
I'll be the Debbie Downer.

When I hear "All Systems Go" from an organization a month out with as many variables out of their control still spinning aorund, I expect it to end in disaster.
Don’t think you’re a Debbie downer. I have legitimate concerns about how they pull this off as well as NCAAT. No one seems to have an answer about what happens if a positive test occurs day before or day of a game. It’s doable, I’d just like to hear more of the details.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Don’t think you’re a Debbie downer. I have legitimate concerns about how they pull this off as well as NCAAT. No one seems to have an answer about what happens if a positive test occurs day before or day of a game. It’s doable, I’d just like to hear more of the details.

For the record I have zero doubt the NCAA tourney will run its course and crown a champion. The hair(s) on the back of my neck start tingling when I here "All systems go". When I hear leadership saying that, I get giddy watching the invetible failure.

Reaction Score
I don't know if this is feasible contract-wise, but they should 100% play the BET in a bubble at Hinkle. Half the teams can then just stay for the NCAAT in Indiana.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Teams like Gonzaga or Baylor will play through positive tests, like they have all year. Teams like UConn will be forced to pull the plug on their tournament if someone in the general vicinity of southern Indiana reports a positive Covid case (unless the state department of public health changes their thinking on COVID). Sad truth, but it’s the reality we will have to deal with.

Reaction Score
Teams like Gonzaga or Baylor will play through positive tests, like they have all year. Teams like UConn will be forced to pull the plug on their tournament if someone in the general vicinity of southern Indiana reports a positive Covid case (unless the state department of public health changes their thinking on COVID). Sad truth, but it’s the reality we will have to deal with.
I don't know Washington's guidance on this in particular but they have stricter Covid rules than CT. does. My guess is as a private University Gonzaga is just thumbing their nose at Inslee's regulations.

Reaction Score

Rothstein reporting the 2021 Big East Tournament is a go. Believe the tournament would start on March 10th. It is also being reported that the expectation is not every team will play 20 league games, winner of the conference will be based upon winning percentage. UConns next game is Feb 6 and the regular season likely ends March 6. Unless additional games are added, UConn probably won’t play 20 games. Also curious to see how the BE tournament lines up with the covid protocol of The NCAAT.

Awesomeness!! If this goes off it will be great basketball. Remember?

Reaction Score
This all depends on whose rules they'll use.

Most states don't have CT's rules. Lot of teams are playing (Butler for example) after their team or players were near someone with the virus and many schools have put a player or several players on quarantine due to exposure to someone with the virus while the rest of the team goes on with games (like Oklahoma in their win over Alabama last weekend).

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
There are many teams and quite a few conferences that have played nearly a normal compliment of games this season to date. Those are the teams who will have a noticeable advantage come NCAA tournament time.
I see very few teams stopping Zaga or Baylor.
I think overall, the NBE, overall, have plaed the fewest games of any of the "power" conferences
We'll see but thats how I look at it to date.

Reaction Score
Or the day after. So the winner can’t play in the next round...something like that. And MSG is donating the facility?? Not too cost effective with no fans. Also kind of begs the question if there are no fans there and nobody watches on tv does it really happen?

Reaction Score
I don't know Washington's guidance on this in particular but they have stricter Covid rules than CT. does. My guess is as a private University Gonzaga is just thumbing their nose at Inslee's regulations.
Xavier is shut down again and Ohio stopped having rules once people tried to kill the health director. Though I believe Cincinatti actually has rules and enforced them to some extent.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score

If contact tracing can DQ a team and it DQ's both teams in one matchup, does the opposite side of the bracket get a bye? Wild potential scenarios. What is the window of backwards potential exposure? A positive could technically knock out an entire half of the bracket if they have to look at a retro 48 hours.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
If contact tracing can DQ a team and it DQ's both teams in one matchup, does the opposite side of the bracket get a bye? Wild potential scenarios. What is the window of backwards potential exposure? A positive could technically knock out an entire half of the bracket if they have to look at a retro 48 hours.
Yes that's crazy. This won't work for NCAA tournament. Imagine #1 Gonzaga eliminated due to that.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom