2021 Battle 4 Atlantis | The Boneyard

2021 Battle 4 Atlantis

Reaction Score
While mentioned a few times in the BY, I think it is time to highlight and discuss the most exciting match up for #1 in the early 2021-22 WBB season. The likely game between UCONN and South Carolina on November 22 at the Atlantis on Paradise Island in the Bahamas. Will both teams be ready for such a high level game so early in the season? Is there any reason to believe that either team will not make it to the tournament final? If there is an upset, which team is likely to pull it off and would it be against UCONN or SC? I think the game is a near certainty and, among other things, what do you think of the match up of ONO, Edwards and Dorka versus Boston and now Cardoso?

Reaction Score
Is there a chance that the tournament gets moved to the states ? Covid data still showing daily increases in cases.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
While mentioned a few times in the BY, I think it is time to highlight and discuss the most exciting match up for #1 in the early 2021-22 WBB season. The likely game between UCONN and South Carolina on November 22 at the Atlantis on Paradise Island in the Bahamas. Will both teams be ready for such a high level game so early in the season? Is there any reason to believe that either team will not make it to the tournament final? If there is an upset, which team is likely to pull it off and would it be against UCONN or SC? I think the game is a near certainty and, among other things, what do you think of the match up of ONO, Edwards and Dorka versus Boston and now Cardoso?
My feeling is that SC has a big edge in early season games. They are much better (or perhaps just more willing) to break down defenses 1-1 and really don't care that much about trying to run pretty offense which will take time to perfect. SC's goal is get it to the rim and let their bull dozers get the rebound and putbacks and/or draw fouls.

Reaction Score
SC will have been tested by NC State prior to the tournament, which I think gives them an edge
Not if they lose. Didn't NCSt beat SCar last season? And there's no guarantee they beat Oregon. These holiday tournaments produce lots of upsets.
UConn historically starts seasons playing at a high level.

Reaction Score
Not if they lose. Didn't NCSt beat SCar last season? And there's no guarantee they beat Oregon. These holiday tournaments produce lots of upsets.
UConn historically starts seasons playing at a high level.
I suppose if they lose to NC State then they would have been tested :)

Reaction Score
I think both teams will be ready for a possible early season match up between these two heavyweights if they both make it that far. UConn looks like they have the slight edge in their bracket; Minnesota, Syracuse or South Florida. South Carolina would have Buffalo, Oregon, or Oklahoma in their bracket. Oregon could be a problem just depends on which team is shooting well that night. If the match up happens, I would love to see the match up between Ono, Edwards, and Dorka versus Boston and Cardoso. Just to see which group has the toughness (mental & physical) to push their team to the finish line.

Reaction Score
I predict that UConn is going to be so good offensively that matchups aren't even going to matter. Like Golden State with Curry and Thompson. UConn will get stops but the opponent will not. (exaggeration of course) Just gotta rebound.

Reaction Score
The key to Uconn winning that tournament will be 3 point shooting. If our outside shooting doesn't improve beyond Paige this year we are in for disapointment. I see no reason why it shouldn't improve significantly though.

Reaction Score
I think both teams will be ready for a possible early season match up between these two heavyweights if they both make it that far. UConn looks like they have the slight edge in their bracket; Minnesota, Syracuse or South Florida. South Carolina would have Buffalo, Oregon, or Oklahoma in their bracket. Oregon could be a problem just depends on which team is shooting well that night. If the match up happens, I would love to see the match up between Ono, Edwards, and Dorka versus Boston and Cardoso. Just to see which group has the toughness (mental & physical) to push their team to the finish line.

It will be a battle worth seeing but UConn doesn't have to win it to win the game. SCar does. UConn's guards can win the game for CT.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
My feeling is that SC has a big edge in early season games. They are much better (or perhaps just more willing) to break down defenses 1-1 and really don't care that much about trying to run pretty offense which will take time to perfect. SC's goal is get it to the rim and let their bull dozers get the rebound and put backs and/or draw fouls.
IMHO South Carolina IS the most formidable opponent on UConn's schedule. We won't have to wait long to see them in live action on national TV. They play 5th ranked NC State on ESPN Tuesday Nov 9 at 7:00 pm ET. That's a game most UConn fans will want to see. They're getting a week's head start on us. They play an exhibition game tonight against Benedict.

Here's a 2 minute interview with Dawn:

1635806595411.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score

First, let's get there. We have to beat two decent teams and USC has to do the same. The match-up is not guaranteed.

But I'm hoping for it and will be center court.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
First, let's get there. We have to beat two decent teams and USC has to do the same. The match-up is not guaranteed.

I envy you.

Reaction Score
Now retired, we can do that. Retired to Myrtle Beach and really enjoyed the Charleston tourney the guys played in a couple years ago.
Have you bought Gamecock season tickets so you will have tickets when UConn visits Columbus in late January?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Now retired, we can do that. Retired to Myrtle Beach and really enjoyed the Charleston tourney the guys played in a couple years ago.
Retirement is a wonderful thing. A "comfortable" retirement is even better. :)

Reaction Score

Maybe not guaranteed but extremely likely! SC has the more difficult task as they apparently will be playing Oregon. Hard to see UConn not getting there and I’d have to bet SC will get there too!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
IMHO South Carolina IS the most formidable opponent on UConn's schedule. We won't have to wait long to see them in live action on national TV. They play 5th ranked NC State on ESPN Tuesday Nov 9 at 7:00 pm ET. That's a game most UConn fans will want to see. They're getting a week's head start on us. They play an exhibition game tonight against Benedict.

Here's a 2 minute interview with Dawn:

View attachment 70669

Hmm, it's not listed on any of the ESPN networks here. The only WCBB we're getting is American vs GW. ESPN, ESPN2, and ACCN all have men's games, ESPNU has Texas vs Baylor in women's volleyball.

It can change in a week, though.

Heck, South Dakota is no pushover either. I'm hoping I'll be able to see that one, too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom