2020 WNBA Draft Lottery is Today: Dangerfield Projected As High Pick | The Boneyard

2020 WNBA Draft Lottery is Today: Dangerfield Projected As High Pick

Reaction Score
The top four draft positions for the 2020 WNBA Draft will be determined tonight. UConn rising senior Crystal
Dangerfield has one more season to make her mark on UConn history before heading off to join her former teammates in the WNBA.

A look at some of the projected top picks for the 2020 WNBA Draft is accessible below.

Top Prospects for Draft Lottery 2020 - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The top four draft positions for the 2020 WNBA Draft will be determined tonight. UConn rising senior Crystal
Dangerfield has one more season to make her mark on UConn history before heading off to join her former teammates in the WNBA.

A look at some of the projected top picks for the 2020 WNBA Draft is accessible below.

Top Prospects for Draft Lottery 2020 - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA
I see Joyner Holmes (Texas) and Te’a Cooper (Baylor) as mid 2nd round selections. It will be interesting to see if either make a roster next year.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Voepels assessment of Crystal.

Crystal Dangerfield, Connecticut. The Huskies point guard has played in big games, and looks like a great backup option for a team looking to groom its next great point guard. Dangerfield makes good decisions and can be a streaky scorer for a team that is looking for a player off the bench who can provide a hot hand.

Unfortunately, lottery picks are not used for backup positions and future grooming. Crystal will be picked later in the first round (hopefully) but I can also see her slipping to the second round. Her size is an issue (especially on defense) and I do not think you can avoid it. I know some small guards can make it but not happen quickly and small guards have to learn the tricks to survive and excel in the league.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score

Crystal Dangerfield, Connecticut. The Huskies point guard has played in big games, and looks like a great backup option for a team looking to groom its next great point guard. Dangerfield makes good decisions and can be a streaky scorer for a team that is looking for a player off the bench who can provide a hot hand.

Unfortunately, lottery picks are not used for backup positions and future grooming. Crystal will be picked later in the first round (hopefully) but I can also see her slipping to the second round. Her size is an issue (especially on defense) and I do not think you can avoid it. I know some small guards can make it but not happen quickly and small guards have to learn the tricks to survive and excel in the league.

Unfortunately, I'm inclined to agree. I really like CD in so many ways, but her size, solid but not spectacular defense (in contrast to a tremendous small-PG defender like Jordin Canada), and solid but not spectacular shooting leave her with a few too many deficits to be a top flight WNBA point guard. She needs 3 pt shooting percentages like her sophomore year (.449) rather than her junior year (.352) to be a strong first-round pick, and I'd like to see her develop more finesse on the stop and pop and step back jumpers, which is one way small, fast guards can get open shots in the W.

Reaction Score

This is Michelle Smith. The thrift store version of Mechelle Voepel. ;)

Unfortunately, lottery picks are not used for backup positions and future grooming.

James Wade claims he was doing that with KLS. :confused:

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For those BY experts who have an eye for how best to fit players in the upcoming draft to pro teams, I would love some analysis of who the liberty should pick if god forbid, we get skunked and draft #3

And if you want to include who fits better, Sabrina or Lauren if we get the #1 pick, far be it from me to stop you.

I have no eye for this stuff. All I know for sure is Katie Smith should be replaced. Any suggestions in this area?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This is Michelle Smith. The thrift store version of Mechelle Voepel. ;)

Oops. :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

James Wade claims he was going that with KLS. :confused:

Unfortunately, cant blame Wade on this. I do not think too many thought she would not be a big part of the Sky rotation. Lou has got to get her act together and figure out how she can impress given short bursts of playing time because that is the window she will get next year.

For whatever reason, 3 point shooters in college take time to figure it out in the pro's. Maybe more mid range curl shots which she never missed.

I guess far less open shots and more pressure overall.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I'm inclined to agree. I really like CD in so many ways, but her size, solid but not spectacular defense (in contrast to a tremendous small-PG defender like Jordin Canada), and solid but not spectacular shooting leave her with a few too many deficits to be a top flight WNBA point guard. She needs 3 pt shooting percentages like her sophomore year (.449) rather than her junior year (.352) to be a strong first-round pick, and I'd like to see her develop more finesse on the stop and pop and step back jumpers, which is one way small, fast guards can get open shots in the W.

Is Dangerfield mostly a toe-to-the-line three point shooter, or does she commonly hit long bombs? The three point line is about 18 inches further out in the WNBA.

Does she get to the FT line a lot? Because that could be a struggle for a tiny guard at the next level.

Reaction Score
For those BY experts who have an eye for how best to fit players in the upcoming draft to pro teams, I would love some analysis of who the liberty should pick if god forbid, we get skunked and draft #3

I know there’s not too many Carter fans here, but if the Liberty get #3, they should pray Carter declares for the draft. I’d say she’s a decent and instant upgrade over Brittany Boyd.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Is Dangerfield mostly a toe-to-the-line three point shooter, or does she commonly hit long bombs? The three point line is about 18 inches further out in the WNBA.

Does she get to the FT line a lot? Because that could be a struggle for a tiny guard at the next level.

Crystal has a lot of range on her 3's. Can definitely make pro 3pt shots given time and space. I think she can offensively cope but defense is such a big concern.

I guess Leilani Mitchell is the target to shoot for but she had to fight many times just to stay in the league and she has finally gotten to the point where her shooting (not just her 3's but midrange and scoop shots) and clever play outweigh (by alot) her defensive limitations.

I suppose Brooke McCarty may be a closer example. She had to fight on the fringes but I think she has some security as a backup PG with Dallas although the guard situation there can get real crowded next year.

Reaction Score
I suppose Brooke McCarty may be a closer example. She had to fight on the fringes but I think she has some security as a backup PG with Dallas although the guard situation there can get real crowded next year.

McCarty is definitely a goner next year, unless something really unexpected happens.

Reaction Score
I know there’s not too many Carter fans here, but if the Liberty get #3, they should pray Carter declares for the draft. I’d say she’s a decent and instant upgrade over Brittany Boyd.
I agree. Carter should be third and Mompremier should be 4th. .

Reaction Score

Tell that to Coach Wade and the Chicago Sky :rolleyes:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Hmm, maybe Lauren Cox will get to stay in Texas for her pro career.

Beat me to posting this. Ionescu and Cox going 1-2 feels like as much of a lock as you can possibly have 7 months in advance.

I have to think Ms. Cox must be pleased. Dallas has SDS and Arike. As good as Sabrina is, a frontcourt stud suits them better anyway.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think the Liberty probably take Sabrina. Beyond merit, a big market team will go after some extra buzz.

Ionescu would be an immediate upgrade to their roster. This should be a no-brainer for the Liberty.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
James Wade claims he was going that with KLS. :confused:

I choose to blame Amber Stocks. The Sky had a playoff-ready roster that she piloted to the lottery.

Reaction Score
@eebmg I think lottery picks this draft are going to have to be used for backup players that are going to need to be groomed. This upcoming draft is very weak. Unfortunately, I can see a lot of first round picks not even make teams.

And no doubt New York takes Sabrina. They need more help in the backcourt, rather than the front court. If Durr can stay healthy, her Sabrina, and Nurse can make a nice back court. Katie Smith has to go! If they keep her, they'll be in contention for 2021's number one pick too.

Reaction Score
@eebmg I think lottery picks this draft are going to have to be used for backup players that are going to need to be groomed. This upcoming draft is very weak. Unfortunately, I can see a lot of first round picks not even make teams.

And no doubt New York takes Sabrina. They need more help in the backcourt, rather than the front court. If Durr can stay healthy, her Sabrina, and Nurse can make a nice back court. Katie Smith has to go! If they keep her, they'll be in contention for 2021's number one pick too.

If they keep her, I’d be surprised if they don’t start her from Day 1. They don’t have PG’s right now that they love.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think the Liberty probably take Sabrina. Beyond merit, a big market team will go after some extra buzz.
The Big Apple, hopefully at Barclay Center!

Reaction Score
If they keep her, I’d be surprised if they don’t start her from Day 1. They don’t have PG’s right now that they love.
I was talking about Katie Smith lol. Not Durr or Sabrina

Reaction Score
ESPN just put out its 2020 WNBA Mock Draft projections for the first round (12 picks) next April.

Dangerfield is #6 on the list that includes the projected early (junior) entries, including Sabally, Carter, and Slocum among the first eight picks.

Worth noting is that there are three Oregon and two Oregon State players projected to go in the first 10 picks. That alone should bring a smile to the face of LoTrader.

#8 Slocum and #12 Charles were in the same Class of 2016 recruiting class for Maryland before Slocum transferred to Oregon State following her freshman season.

The article was written by Mechelle Voepel.

WNBA mock draft: Oregon's Sabrina Ionescu is projected No. 1 pick

Reaction Score
I was talking about Katie Smith lol. Not Durr or Sabrina
I was responding to “I think lottery picks this draft are going to have to be used for backup players that are going to need to be groomed.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom