2020 Schedule | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2020 Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The other key to rebuilding the program -- folks need to show up. We will have a lot of home games against crappy teams. The downside is they are crappy teams. The upside is that they are games we should either be winning or at least having good games with the chance of winning. Recruits will not want to come to a program to play in a 40k seat stadium with 8000 people in it.

Bottom line: we can keep complaining about how awful things are (which they are and we do) or people can get their butts back in seats and help the program be more attractive to recruits. Actually, I'm fine continuing to complain if you get your butt back in a seat. But we are part of the problem, and we need to be part of the solution.
Thank you sir! So true

Reaction Score
As I said, I get your point but don't hide a perfectly reasonable position as if it were fact. You are pretending that college football isn't about football. I would argue -- as many do -- that of course it is. All the other ancillary stuff is important, but ultimately it's about football.

The proof is in the pudding: people care about, and show up for, games against UVA-type teams and don’t show up for games against Memphis.

That pattern would be repeated at just about every big time college football school.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes. If you were to poll SEC or Big 10 fan bases which schools they’d rather schedule OOC, UCF or Memphis vs “University of..” ACC schools; I guarantee you they’d say the ACC schools.

I agree many of the fans would choose the ACC school in this example. The reason however, in my opinion and experience, is to avoid embarrassment. Several years ago I used to watch every college football saturday with a friend and several others who would show up at a location in St. Louis. This very topic would come up, usually with Boise St but others as well. They looked at games against the BSU's and TCU's as a no win situation. If you lost to most any other BCS level team, you could save face by pointing to that teams conference and past success.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
AAC/ACC/ CYO....You guys need to chill and eat a Snickers. Randy Turtleball Edition. C47BDD44-44FB-4688-B7C9-2BF03B6E5D35.jpeg

Reaction Score
Is this a buy game for UNC? If not, wouldn't that potentially diminish the asking price for other future pay games? Clemson, USF, etc are paying a $1mm+ for their body bag games. If UNC doesn't have a return game, then they should be paying close to market rate.

Meghan Bard @meghanbard 22m
For those wondering about the $200K from UNC, they're not a school that hands out huge buy game payments. They gave App State a 2-for-1 H/H and ODU a straight H/H, which UConn is taking the return game of. UNC is much more likely to sked UConn H/H than to buy a game from us.

Meghan Bard @meghanbard 23m
Also also, $200K is the same amount that UConn and Illinois are passing back and forth for that H/H series. So the payment amount is pretty much exactly what you would expect it to be.

Reaction Score
Meghan Bard @meghanbard 22m
For those wondering about the $200K from UNC, they're not a school that hands out huge buy game payments. They gave App State a 2-for-1 H/H and ODU a straight H/H, which UConn is taking the return game of. UNC is much more likely to sked UConn H/H than to buy a game from us.

Meghan Bard @meghanbard 23m
Also also, $200K is the same amount that UConn and Illinois are passing back and forth for that H/H series. So the payment amount is pretty much exactly what you would expect it to be.

I get that UNC probably doesn't care if ODU or UConn visit them. What's in it for ODU to switch for the same money? UNC is a very beatable P5 team that most G5 teams would probably want to play. Figured a Virginia school would want to play a major NC school.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Well that is sort of true except we also play multiple top 25 teams in Cinci, Navy and at the time UCF. Maybe we play 1 next year if UNC continues to grow. I think in a way this shows a lack of sophistication of CT football fans who would rather play Names than play quality opponent. 4-5 eh P5 opponents are really not better than 3-4 top 25 teams. My guess is Cindy, Memphis Navy and SMU would beat every P5 on next year’s schedule. From a UConn short term perspective I do think this is a good slate in that it gives us a chance to rebuild and reestablish our program. Long term not so sure.

If you're being logical, sure. But, since when has CFB been logical? UCF went undefeated, beat multiple top 25 teams and got a pat on the head.

P5 wins will always be useful, except maybe Rutgers. "UConn, 4-2 against the P5," is a viable future crawl ticker stat. "1-1 vs. Top 25" is not. Besides, the more P5 teams the more likely they will be Top 25.

The G5 caps out at 15-20 except in extreme circumstances.

You beat enough P5 teams, you will get recognition and inroads into their recruits. Big Ten recruits will pick other schools over the Indianas and RU's of the world. In the AAC we were competing with G5, FCS, and losing.

Reaction Score
In addition to improved recruiting and enhanced coaching, scheduling balance played a big role in Army’s better records and bowl qualifying in recent years. Just sayin’

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree with that. In fact I’ve said before I think it will help a lot. Had we not left the AAC I think it might have been valuable to explore essentially taking a 2 year “leave of absence” of some kind to rebuild in a less difficult environment. I know nobody wants to admit it but the P6 moniker is not so unthinkable now.

I also agree with bl that attendance needs to rebound. And as it does everywhere will require putting a winning product on the field. I don’t know that sellouts will ever be a regular occurrence but they aren’t many places. In fact UConn women and men’s teams don’t really sell out anything but marquee games now. They won’t admit it but SEC and BIG powers might sell out but they rarely fill all their seats except for big games. But rugular crowds in the high 20/low 30 range could be a regular thing with a team that wins regularly. It is also going to require an “upgraded” home schedule over time. ODU and Middle Tennessee won’t do it long term. Nor will losing to every P5 team we play. But going 7-5 or something next year will be a huge huge factor.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I'm thinking a road trip to Ole Miss at the end of October next year sounds good. Maybe fly down Friday morning spend Friday afternoon and evening checking out the food and music on Beale St in Memphis and then catch the game on Saturday before flying back Sunday morning.

The following year, it will be an ugly game; but, seeing a game in Death Valley should be a lot of fun.

If you head down let me know. I will be at the game as my brother is a season ticket holder for Ole Miss games. He is already talking about bringing me to The Grove to see how Southern Tailgating happens.

Reaction Score
Besides the P5 where else can someone play against 5 P5 opponents? There is a number of good stories to tell prospective recruits and transfers. For recruits, there is the opportunity to play against great competition without having to sit. Also guys who may have been under-recruited by the P5 who have a chip on their shoulder will find UCONN as a great opportunity for payback. Same deal for transfers from the P5 with something to prove.

Reaction Score
You would likely be pumpmed to play Florida State. Which was a women’s college until 1950 or so and hardly a national power until Bowden came in the mid-70s. Continued success breeds reputation not history.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
UConn fans in all sports showed with their lack of attendance that names meant more than performance. In basketball, we couldn't sell out for Houston but could for Arizona who wasn't as good. In football, no one wanted to see the AAC teams(going back to years 1 and 2) who were better than the old Big East teams. Every game at the Rent, I wax nostalgic about the old days. Fickle Uconn fans and especially the students need to come out.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Well that is sort of true except we also play multiple top 25 teams in Cinci, Navy and at the time UCF. Maybe we play 1 next year if UNC continues to grow. I think in a way this shows a lack of sophistication of CT football fans who would rather play Names than play quality opponent. 4-5 eh P5 opponents are really not better than 3-4 top 25 teams. My guess is Cindy, Memphis Navy and SMU would beat every P5 on next year’s schedule. From a UConn short term perspective I do think this is a good slate in that it gives us a chance to rebuild and reestablish our program. Long term not so sure.
Next year's schedule doesn't matter for the long term. It came together in less than 5 months and is over in Nov 2020. 2021 is a different schedule. As are 2022, 2023, 2024, so on, and so forth.

P5 programs carry cache just by being included in the P5. Games - eventually wins - over P5 teams enhance perception, makes fans feel good, and creates excitement. Maybe, just maybe they will turn off the TV and come out to see a game and they can generate revenue.

A G5 program went 25-0 over two seasons including a NY6 bowl game vs. Auburn and in the end still couldn't crack the playoff line up. The human element means there is a known ceiling for G5 conferences. There is a known wall for G5 conference members to join a P5 conference. There is a know ceiling for AAC member media revenue.

The UConn Powers-that-be saw these constraints, determined they are unworkable even in the most ideal of situations, and are in the midst of finding their own way.

C

Chief00

If we have two away games against MD and no home games - that’s not a good sign. The games are in 2024 and 2026 - so the explanation is not a quick fix for next year.

Reaction Score
If we have two away games against MD and no home games - that’s not a good sign. The games are in 2024 and 2026 - so the explanation is not a quick fix for next year.
Your comment on next year’s schedule is unclear, but Maryland’s signed to play at the Rent in 2026.

Reaction Score

U wrong

C

Chief00

Your comment on next year’s schedule is unclear, but Maryland’s signed to play at the Rent in 2026.

That’s why I used the word “if”, since it didn’t make sense. The two MD road games displayed in the link in the OP in this thread.
9B43BD4A-CC5C-4E07-BDA0-5DF213598B08.jpeg

Reaction Score
That’s why I used the word “if”, since it didn’t make sense. The two MD road games displayed in the link in the OP in this thread.
Apparently, the blog made a casual mistake after previously correctly announcing the UConn/Maryland H&H contract a few months ago. Acknowledging the widely-reported ‘24 A and ‘26 H contract with MD, it’s reasonable to believe the 2 games never had much if any causual relationship with this thread’s topic (2020 schedule).

Reaction Score
Folks in this thread have very nicely coached up our casual football fan, Chief. One would think he’d appreciate that kind of coaching!
It's Thanksgiving eve. I know this is tongue in cheek, and so does everyone else, but why take the chance? ;) ;)

C

Chief00

Apparently, the blog made a casual mistake after previously correctly announcing the UConn/Maryland H&H contract a few months ago. Acknowledging the widely-reported ‘24 A and ‘26 H contract with MD, it’s reasonable to believe the 2 games never had much if any causual relationship with this thread’s topic (2020 schedule).
The mistake was in the link you provided in the OP. Chief questioned it by leading with “if”.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
The mistake was in the link you provided in the OP. Chief questioned it by leading with “if”.

That's your 31st post today. Not much going on this holiday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom