2020 Schedule | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2020 Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Exactly. Do I love the schedule? No. But they have a schedule, and they got six home games plus one, and they didn't have to play a second FCS team. Nice job by the suits.

There are a good number of games in the schedule that I expect should be winnable if we play as well as we played in our more competitive games this year. I know many here would like to see Edsall gone, but I'd be surprised if it's even being seriously considered. He has failed the first three years. That schedule should allow us a shot at bowl eligibility. If we're not at least close to it, talk to me about firing coaches then.

I want to be playing Army for a chance at bowl eligibility. Short of that, I'm fine with making a move if they think they have a better option.

Reaction Score
I haven’t been shy about pointing out the program is on the bottom of a dumpster - but there is no question that creating a schedule for 2020 in this short of time is truly remarkable. That was a great job by DB - hope it is a great resume bullet point for him and it gets him a job somewhere tomorrow. (Seriously good job on the schedule)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Nope. Better. AD Dave has earned, and frankly, deserves the respect of UConn's football fandom for delivering what was seemingly undeliverable less than 5 months ago.

Would have liked one more P5 home game but that is picking nits.

Reaction Score
Amazing job considering this is the cobbled together desperation schedule.

I would think 7 home games and 5 P5 opponents is a selling point to recruits and the current players.

Looking forward to AD Dave's encore performance (2021 schedule).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Looking at future years I do not think it is smart to schedule CCSU. One game maybe but 2? It is a no win situation. Win big and you get a big who cares. Win close and you get a you only won by...!. Lose and it is beyond embarrassing. It would be much smarter to schedule New Hampshire (tough team) Stony Brook, Lehigh type programs. Real happy we got an entertaining schedule for next year and you should be able to recruit off of this schedule.

Reaction Score
Is this a buy game for UNC? If not, wouldn't that potentially diminish the asking price for other future pay games? Clemson, USF, etc are paying a $1mm+ for their body bag games. If UNC doesn't have a return game, then they should be paying close to market rate.

Reaction Score
Is this a buy game for UNC? If not, wouldn't that potentially diminish the asking price for other future pay games? Clemson, USF, etc are paying a $1mm+ for their body bag games. If UNC doesn't have a return game, then they should be paying close to market rate.

UNC is paying UConn $200K and UConn is using it to pay ODU $200k.

It is what is under the gun to get a schedule done.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking a road trip to Ole Miss at the end of October next year sounds good. Maybe fly down Friday morning spend Friday afternoon and evening checking out the food and music on Beale St in Memphis and then catch the game on Saturday before flying back Sunday morning.

The following year, it will be an ugly game; but, seeing a game in Death Valley should be a lot of fun.

Reaction Score

I've no info on this but I wouldn't be surprised if the UNC ODU deal is similar to the Ole Miss MTSU contract.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I think we can cobble together TV using YES, SNY, NESN. Have you seen what those stations air once baseball ends?

Reaction Score
I love it. To me there is no difference between MTSU/ODU & ECU/SMU. Just a bunch of initials that wouldn't be the difference between showing up to The Rent or watching at home. In future years i suspect we will see more p5 schools come here.

Charting our own path.

Reaction Score
Not a buy game in the usual sense. Basically Dave got UNC andODU to cancel their game and each play UCONN. Same as MTSU and Ole Miss in principal.

Reaction Score
Although the home schedule is weak, getting 3 regional opponents (Army, UMass, and even Maine) is a positive for some added local interest. Some of those 7 home games could actually be winnable.

And consider this: this year we played 2 P5 schools; next year we play 5.

Maybe we'll be all right after all.
Well that is sort of true except we also play multiple top 25 teams in Cinci, Navy and at the time UCF. Maybe we play 1 next year if UNC continues to grow. I think in a way this shows a lack of sophistication of CT football fans who would rather play Names than play quality opponent. 4-5 eh P5 opponents are really not better than 3-4 top 25 teams. My guess is Cindy, Memphis Navy and SMU would beat every P5 on next year’s schedule. From a UConn short term perspective I do think this is a good slate in that it gives us a chance to rebuild and reestablish our program. Long term not so sure.

Reaction Score
Well that is sort of true except we also play multiple top 25 teams in Cinci, Navy and at the time UCF. Maybe we play 1 next year if UNC continues to grow. I think in a way this shows a lack of sophistication of CT football fans who would rather play Names than play quality opponent. 4-5 eh P5 opponents are really not better than 3-4 top 25 teams. My guess is Cindy, Memphis Navy and SMU would beat every P5 on next year’s schedule. From a UConn short term perspective I do think this is a good slate in that it gives us a chance to rebuild and reestablish our program. Long term not so sure.

You’re right, but we are who we are and I’m trying to be optimistic about it. There’s always a chance we get a few more quality AAC teams on the schedule in upcoming years. And like you said, rebuilding the program in the short term is key. If it means weaker opponents on the slate for now, so be it.

Reaction Score
The other key to rebuilding the program -- folks need to show up. We will have a lot of home games against crappy teams. The downside is they are crappy teams. The upside is that they are games we should either be winning or at least having good games with the chance of winning. Recruits will not want to come to a program to play in a 40k seat stadium with 8000 people in it.

Bottom line: we can keep complaining about how awful things are (which they are and we do) or people can get their butts back in seats and help the program be more attractive to recruits. Actually, I'm fine continuing to complain if you get your butt back in a seat. But we are part of the problem, and we need to be part of the solution.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Actually, wanting to play programs like UCF or Memphis because of recent success over schools like Maryland, UVA, Syracuse or UNC - schools with actual history - shows a lack of college football sophistication on your part

Reaction Score
Actually, wanting to play programs like UCF or Memphis because of recent success over schools like Maryland, UVA, Syracuse or UNC - schools with actual history - shows a lack of college football sophistication on your part

Would you mind explaining? Is your position that you don't want to see the best football you can see -- it's more important to play teams with history?

Reaction Score
Would you mind explaining? Is your position that you don't want to see the best football you can see -- it's more important to play teams with history?

Yes. If you were to poll SEC or Big 10 fan bases which schools they’d rather schedule OOC, UCF or Memphis vs “University of..” ACC schools; I guarantee you they’d say the ACC schools.

Reaction Score
Yes. If you were to poll SEC or Big 10 fan bases which schools they’d rather schedule OOC, UCF or Memphis vs “University of..” ACC schools; I guarantee you they’d say the ACC schools.

O.K. I understand your position. I would argue that's not sophistication -- that's an arrogance to not accept the reality of the present. But tomato, tomatoe.

Reaction Score
O.K. I understand your position. I would argue that's not sophistication -- that's an arrogance to not accept the reality of the present. But tomato, tomatoe.

Maybe a little bit of arrogance and definitely not X’s and O’s sophistication. But, college football is all about the tradition, pageantry and history. Those schools bring that, the other schools don’t. It shows a sophistication in understanding what college football is all about.

This isn’t the NFL.

Reaction Score
Maybe a little bit of arrogance and definitely not X’s and O’s sophistication. But, college football is all about the tradition, pageantry and history. Those schools bring that, the other schools don’t. It shows a sophistication in understanding what college football is all about.

This isn’t the NFL.
As I said, I get your point but don't hide a perfectly reasonable position as if it were fact. You are pretending that college football isn't about football. I would argue -- as many do -- that of course it is. All the other ancillary stuff is important, but ultimately it's about football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom