2020 recruits are quite a class of talent | The Boneyard

2020 recruits are quite a class of talent

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
At least most of the top 25 are. Fourteen have started over 90% of their teams game with two more below 90% but are in the starting 5 of their respective teams (Cameron Brink and Diamond Johnson). Nineteen are averaging over 15 minutes per game. Aaliyah at HoopGurlz' 23 spot is looking like a best buy! Mir averages the lowest number of minute per game. Fourteen are averaging 10 or more points per game. If we applied fuzzification, then we have 17. Three more are averaging over 9 points per game. Also I was curious about HoopGurlz' ranking and reality.
1614045278854.png

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
At least most of the top 25 are. Fourteen have started over 90% of their teams game with two more below 90% but are in the starting 5 of their respective teams (Cameron Brink and Diamond Johnson). Nineteen are averaging over 15 minutes per game. Aaliyah at HoopGurlz' 23 spot is looking like a best buy! Mir averages the lowest number of minute per game. Fourteen are averaging 10 or more points per game. If we applied fuzzification, then we have 17. Three more are averaging over 9 points per game. Also I was curious about HoopGurlz' ranking and reality.
View attachment 64892
Good stuff--thanks for putting this together. I can't recall a freshman class with so many standouts. Even someone like Cardoso I've heard very little about and she's putting up NFOY caliber numbers if it were most other years. Also worth noting, Reese's numbers are watered down due to playing only a few minutes in her 4th game, if you take out that one she was averaging 17 per game through her first 3. The trio of her, Owusu and Miller will be very dangerous in the future if Brenda can keep them all there.

Interesting that the ones who seem to be struggling the most are the Oregon freshmen aside from PaoPao. Parrish, Scherr, Watson and Dugalic all have talent but are struggling to find their rhythm on a younger team.

Reaction Score
I want to see how WNBA teams in the next two years start jockeying for draft picks. You could get a future all WNBA pick in the second round of this draft. This freshman class is just absolutely loaded with talent.

Reaction Score
Impressive analysis. What really surprises me is how different entire classes can be. Sometimes there is a true star near the top and others there may not be a consensus or standout number 1 for example, but to have one class be way better than another class 1-25 seems to almost violate the laws of chance.

This class versus Megan's for example, seems like night and day. How the differences can be that large is hard to fathom. I guess that means we have to be careful projecting too much from high school rankings. It might be more like Forest Gump's box of chocolates, you never know what you will get. If someone suggested no one from Megan's class of 4 pretty highly recruited players would complete four years here, I would have thought they were crazy.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
View attachment 64892
This was fun to look through. This class seems deep! Thanks for compiling this.

I did notice that Brink's Blocks and Steals are switched in this graph. As of last nights game she has 56 blocks and 13 steals.

Reaction Score
People also don't realize that Angel Reese was second on the team (I believe) in scoring and led in rebounding before her injury. that kid has playa written all over her.

Saw an article saying she'd be out for three months. That should mean back by beginning of March? Will she be there for Maryland for the NCAA's? That would be an enormous boost for that team.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Only makes sense that Paige, the cream of the 2020 class has such great vision. ;) ;)

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
This was fun to look through. This class seems deep! Thanks for compiling this.

I did notice that Brink's Blocks and Steals are switched in this graph. As of last nights game she has 56 blocks and 13 steals.
Yeah, after posting I noticed but I said who cares ... ;) Stanford, of course, does not post its stats in the same order as 99% of the other colleges. I just missed switching them to the correct order.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Yeah, after posting I noticed but I said who cares ... ;) Stanford, of course, does not post its stats in the same order as 99% of the other colleges. I just missed switching them to the correct order.
The only reason I even noticed was they kept talking about how Brink was leading the PAC in blocks in the game last night and then I saw 13 in this chart, so I was confused.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This class has now borrowed several players from '21 who enrolled in college early. Of those, Talia von Oelhoffen appears to be the most impactful so far, she's really been a difference maker for Oregon St. Has similar stats to Van Lith, but she's trending up while Hailey Van Lith has been slumping lately.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
what's impressive is how many of these players are making an impact immediately. Sometimes even players ranked #1 take some time to adjust/reach their potential at the college level (see Megan Walker, Lauren Cox, Collier, and more). There may be many more freshmen who will have breakout years as sophomores/juniors to add to an already impressive class--looking at you Oregon Ducks.

Reaction Score
Much of that is because most players have had individual trainers and have been playing year round ball since well before they even get to high school. This is why I have often posted that most players do not have much of a individual skill ceiling left when they enter a college program. Except for integrating their skills into the team concept there is not much coaching up left to be done. At least not to the degree that it was years ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom