2020 Recruiting Class Rankings | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting Class Rankings

Reaction Score
ProspectsNation (ranked #1):
The Huskies class checks in at #1 on Prospects Nation. The best part is that doesn’t even include Muhl and Edwards for some reason. A few other team’s classes include international players:

espnW:
“The nation's No. 1 prospect, 5-foot-10 guard Paige Bueckers, has been locked in with UConn for a while now. Bueckers, who has gained valuable international experience with the USA national team over the past year, has her senior season ahead to guide Hopkins High School to a Minnesota state championship.”
--
“Then there's UConn. Bueckers, who competed alongside WNBA Rookie of the Year Napheesa Collier, No. 1 draft pick Jackie Young and Oregon's Ruthy Hebard for Team USA's 3x3 team in October's World Beach Games, will team up in Storrs with international star Nika Muhl, No. 21 prospect SF Mir McLean, No. 26 prospect Aaliyah Edwards and forward Piath Gabriel.”

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The Huskies class checks in at #1 on Prospects Nation. The best part is that doesn’t even include Muhl and Edwards for some reason.

As I have mentioned in the recruit thread, they have nothing on Edwards in their entire database, and none of their writers mentioned her verbal on Twitter, something they almost always do.

It's as though they have no idea who she is.

Reaction Score
The Huskies class checks in at #1 on Prospects Nation. The best part is that doesn’t even include Muhl and Edwards for some reason. A few other team’s classes include international players:

espnW:
“The nation's No. 1 prospect, 5-foot-10 guard Paige Bueckers, has been locked in with UConn for a while now. Bueckers, who has gained valuable international experience with the USA national team over the past year, has her senior season ahead to guide Hopkins High School to a Minnesota state championship.”
--
“Then there's UConn. Bueckers, who competed alongside WNBA Rookie of the Year Napheesa Collier, No. 1 draft pick Jackie Young and Oregon's Ruthy Hebard for Team USA's 3x3 team in October's World Beach Games, will team up in Storrs with international star Nika Muhl, No. 21 prospect SF Mir McLean, No. 26 prospect Aaliyah Edwards and forward Piath Gabriel.”
I'm the same age as Geno (two months older) and this fall my team won 11 games and made district playoffs with 4 eighth grade starters and a fifth, first sub in. (very small school, no jv). I'm definitely thinking I gotta stick around a while and I would hope, based on that class, Geno is thinking the same. That could be the best part.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The things I found interesting were:
Syracuse #2 though Baylor may have the better talent (albeit with a smaller class and lesser team need for more players-more does not mean better)
ND has one of the notorious Hayes sisters signed up :eek:
Iowa St at #7 is impressive
Miss St checks in #18 which is surprising that they cant recruit better. He won’t maintain a top 2 in the SEC without talent.
NC checks in at #19 which is good for Barnhart! Minnesota clocks in at #33 which is not what will propel this team to the upper echelon of the Big10. Might Ms. Whelan be overrated as a coach???
Texas at #37 might be signs HS players are catching on that Karen Kant Koach
BC is at #50 which is huge when compared to Tenn and Duke (sorry @triaddukefan :oops: ) who are completely absent.

Reaction Score
Syracuse #2 though Baylor may have the better talent (albeit with a smaller class and lesser team need for more players-more does not mean better)
Miss St checks in #18 which is surprising that they cant recruit better. He won’t maintain a top 2 in the SEC without talent.
NC checks in at #19 which is good for Barnhart! Minnesota clocks in at #33 which is not what will propel this team to the upper echelon of the Big10. Might Ms. Whelan be overrated as a coach???
BC is at #50 which is huge when compared to Tenn and Duke (sorry @triaddukefan :oops: ) who are completely absent.
South Carolina is also absent. Both SC and MS State brought in four player classes, so not surprising neither will have a large 2020 class. Vic didn’t have any room for more than two prior to Bre’Amber transferring. They have Hayes under-ranked though.

ESPN already announced Oregon has their #1 class, so I’ll be interested to see where UConn ends up.

Van Lith’s commitment will be worthy of shaking some things up.

Kapinus could shake some things up too, especially if she chooses ND.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Great stuff. I do believe Muhl is a legit top 15 kid (maybe higher - @MilfordHusky believes she's better than Van Lith and Andrews - I hope he's right - but I haven't seen all 3 kids play), and Edwards is a legit top 5.
I'd say comparable to Van Lith, Clark, and Andrews, though not the shooter that Clark, especially, is.

Reaction Score
Syracuse #2 though Baylor may have the better talent (albeit with a smaller class and lesser team need for more players-more does not mean better) …..

Thing that caught my eye was that he rated Mikayla Coombs as the #4 transfer signing and Danielle Patterson #5, ahead of Sedona Prince (#7) and Sydney Weeks (#22). Seems low for both of them.

Couldn't who he ranked #2 TR and #3 TR -- presumably they haven't selected a college yet (??) or went Div II NAIA?

Reaction Score
Thing that caught my eye was that he rated Mikayla Coombs as the #4 transfer signing and Danielle Patterson #5, ahead of Sedona Prince (#7) and Sydney Weeks (#22). Seems low for both of them.

Couldn't who he ranked #2 TR and #3 TR -- presumably they haven't selected a college yet (??) or went Div II NAIA?
He uses TR rankings as their HS ranking.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

You know you really didnt have to tag me before dinner :oops: :(

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Might Ms. Whelan be overrated as a coach???

I'm not sure how to even rate her as a coach. She has 1 year under her belt. No coaching experience of any kind prior to her becoming HC at Minnesota. Everything was based on her career as a player and her popularity within the State of Minnesota. I don't really see how she can be overrated since there's not much to base her reputation on. Some probably had too high of expectations. Maybe there was a high level of hope that she would convince Bueckers to stay near home. Since that didn't happen...I guess on to Plan B, whatever that might be.

(maybe this could be a cautionary tale for some of the posters who assume Bird, Taurasi and pretty much every other UConn alum would make an excellent HC, even with no previous coaching experience)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how to even rate her as a coach. She has 1 year under her belt. No coaching experience of any kind prior to her becoming HC at Minnesota. Everything was based on her career as a player and her popularity within the State of Minnesota. I don't really see how she can be overrated since there's not much to base her reputation on. Some probably had too high of expectations. Maybe there was a high level of hope that she would convince Bueckers to stay near home. Since that didn't happen...I guess on to Plan B, whatever that might be.

(maybe this could be a cautionary tale for some of the posters who assume Bird, Taurasi and pretty much every other UConn alum would make an excellent HC, even with no previous coaching experience)
Why were they regularly in the polls at the beginning of the year last year and this year? They did not and do not belong yet. Hence Overrated!
Is it too soon, of course but the dopes that vote are clueless. Plus she is again playing cupcake U on her OOC. I absolutely agree this is a cautionary tale for us. Minn had nothing to lose by signing her as the program was bad. We on the other hand can’t give the keys to a Lamborghini to a 16 year old who just got their license regardless of how many time they played Gran Turismo!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Why were they regularly in the polls at the beginning of the year last year and this year? They did not and do not belong yet. Hence Overrated!
Is it too soon, of course but the dopes that vote are clueless. Plus she is again playing cupcake U on her OOC. I absolutely agree this is a cautionary tale for us. Minn had nothing to lose by signing her as the program was bad. We on the other hand can’t give the keys to a Lamborghini to a 16 year old who just got their license regardless of how many time they played Gran Turismo!

Ah, well that's 2 different things. Minnesota ranked too high in the polls vs. Whalen as a coach. We'll probably need to wait a few years to really judge her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
espnW ranks our class #2 (behind Oregon):

“Top prospect Paige Bueckers, a 5-foot-11 combo guard with incredible poise in the back court from Eden Prairie, Minnesota, headlines UConn's recruiting class. The Huskies also have No. 21 Mir McLean, an athletic wing from Owings Mills, Maryland, and No. 26 Aaliyah Edwards, a wing with a college-ready frame. Also recruited by Geno Auriemma are international prospect Nika Muhl and Piath Gabriel, who just fell shy of the top 100.”

Reaction Score
espnW ranks our class #2 (behind Oregon):

“Top prospect Paige Bueckers, a 5-foot-11 combo guard with incredible poise in the back court from Eden Prairie, Minnesota, headlines UConn's recruiting class. The Huskies also have No. 21 Mir McLean, an athletic wing from Owings Mills, Maryland, and No. 26 Aaliyah Edwards, a wing with a college-ready frame. Also recruited by Geno Auriemma are international prospect Nika Muhl and Piath Gabriel, who just fell shy of the top 100.”

I think largely because Muhl isn't ranked since she is from Europe. They put her at the bottom with just a 90 like the other Europeans. Piath had just broke out so she isn't really ranked either.

Reaction Score
Hansen has ranked international players regularly through 2019. For 2020 he lists only Muhl. Maybe he does the foreign players later?
IIRC he never actually ranked the international players in the class of 2019. International players are listed as domestic for 2020. It’s weird.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom