2020 Olympics | The Boneyard

2020 Olympics

Reaction Score
Catchings & Whalen have retired

I would think these 6
Stewart, Maya, Griner, EDD, DT, Sue are sure things if they want and are healthy

That leaves
Fowles, Augustus, Angel, Charles from 2016 -- all of whom were WNBA all-stars this year

Throw in other all-stars: McBride, Aja, CP, Diggins, Gray, Loyd, Chiney, Nneka
Bonner (age 32 in 2020), Toliver (33), & Quigley (34) seem a bit old to get their 1st bid

With the need for the future guards, would think that Diggins, Gray, et al (Vandersloot? Sims?) would be front-runners.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Vandersloot

Unfortunately that's never going to happen as she's a member of the Hungarian National Team.

I agree with you though, it's time to start bringing some younger players into the system.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The one thing that is obvious is that it is still an aging squad.

I worry about DT and Sue Bird - but Augustus and Fowles are not spring chickens, either, At some point I think I would like to see a concerted youth movement with the development of a squad that - headlined by Moore, Stewart, Griner, EDD that could compete for another couple of Olympics after 2020.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Don't count out Plum or Jefferson. I'm still not sure if Moriah is 100% healthy, but if she is, she's lost her starting spot to Plum perhaps permanently. High achievement for Plum. I think either of them could be great additions to the pool and see how they mesh. Plum more of a scoring PG and Jefferson a better defender and faster. I don't think either get serious looks for 2018 WC's (since I think the pool is "full" and the team will be selected from that), but if they continue to play well, and have really good seasons next year, they should be at least invited.

I also disagree slightly with @vowelguy in that I believe Charles and Fowles are locks for the team as well. I also think you need to give Hayes a look - should have been an all star and arguably every bit as good as McCaughtry on most nights.

I'd have 8 locks

5. Griner, Fowles
4. Charles, Stewart
3. EDD/ Maya
2. Dee
1. Sue

Definitely in need of at least 2 and possibly 3 guards but one could be a guard/wing or wing/forward or whatever. And then 1 more forward/center type. As of right now I'd be inclined to put in Nneka, A'ja, and then 2 guards. But that might be a little bit light on ball handlers. Still lots of time to figure it out... And new players will bubble up while some current stars may falter come 2020...

Reaction Score
I think Diana and Sue are locks for the 2018 World Championships, because they are still very good and they need to groom their successors. I'm not so sure about the 2020 Olympics. If they are still playing tremendous basketball, sign them up. But like everyone knows, father time is always going to win eventually. Writing them in for locks for an event in 2 years is unrealistic IMO.

It's hard for me to predict the 2020 Olympics. Once they put together a team for the WC this year I think everyone will be able to understand the direction the 2020 team is heading for. For this year, Augustus has got to go. She should not make the team over a more talented guard. I'm thinking that Loyd or McBride can take her spot. Whalen and Catchinhs leave spots open for Diggins-Smith (or another PG) and N. Oguwmike. McCoughtry getting injured also opens up a spot.

My only "locks" for the 2020 Olympics from this past Olympics team are:
5. Griner
4. Charles, Stewart
3. Moore, EDD

Reaction Score
2020 is too far and a lot of things can happen till than.
For the 2018 World Championships I have:
5. Griner, Fowles
4. Stewart, Charles, Wilson
3. Maya, EDD
2. DT, Diggins-Smith and one from McBride/Loyd/Hays
1. Sue, Gray

This gives a good mixture of youth and veterans to the team and be a great base for the 2020 Olympics

Reaction Score
McCoughtry might be done, given her injury. An ACL at her age might be difficult to return to Olympic form from. I'm not predicting this, but DT and Sue, given their ages, might crash swiftly. Often it just happens very quickly. We'll see. Augustus seems to be slowing a bit. In a couple more years, who knows?

How Charles is not a lock, I just can't understand. What are people looking at with her? Year after year, great numbers. When she gets on the court with the other Olympians, she is often one of the top players out there. Just don't understand why she never really gets her due. 16th all-time in points. Only three active players above her. 7th all-time in rebounds. 2 active players above her. All the players in both categories played more games than she has thus far (except McCoughtry in points) and most many, many more games. I think she's a lock if it's based on how you play the game of basketball.

Reaction Score
It's impossible to predict 2020 so I'm sticking with 2018.

Bird and Taurasi found a time machine and have looked as good as ever the past few seasons. I figured 16 would be it for those two plus Augustus and Whalen. They proved me wrong and are no doubt the backcourt for the WC this year. We knew Catchings was done and Whalen wasn't a shock. I didn't think McCoughtry should have made the 16 team over the chance to bring in young guards but that ship has sailed.

I've posted before who I think should be selected and based on stats, not viewership of the WNBA, I say Diggins, Wilson and one of the following guards makes the team: McBride, Gray, Loyd. If Augustus doesn't make the cut, take 2 of them. Nneka would definitely be my choice if another forward is injured or declines.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Sue will be just 2 months from 40 in the 2020 games...I'm not sure she's a lock even if she's playing great right now. Same with DT. That said, even if the aren't playing at the same level in 2020, I don't see USA basketball passing up either for one.

Locks right now to me are Wilson, EDD, Stewart, Moore, Charles and Griner.

Fowles should be safe, but I feel less confident about her than the players above. I hope they finally give Nneka a chance but don't see it happening with all of the talented frontcourt players team USA has. Would also love Howard to get a look with how well she's been playing this year.

DT and Bird likely get backcourt spots if they want another go at it. Young guards to incorporate--I'd look for a couple of Diggins, McBride, Loyd, Gray, and Ionescu to be in the mix. Haye should have a good crack at it too. Wouldn't count out McCoughtry for a 3rd run either even with the ACL.

Reaction Score
Catchings & Whalen have retired

I would think these 6
Stewart, Maya, Griner, EDD, DT, Sue are sure things if they want and are healthy

That leaves
Fowles, Augustus, Angel, Charles from 2016 -- all of whom were WNBA all-stars this year

Throw in other all-stars: McBride, Aja, CP, Diggins, Gray, Loyd, Chiney, Nneka
Bonner (age 32 in 2020), Toliver (33), & Quigley (34) seem a bit old to get their 1st bid

With the need for the future guards, would think that Diggins, Gray, et al (Vandersloot? Sims?) would be front-runners.

Besides Vandersloot, which has been already pointed out, your three older all stars would also not be available. Quigley has also played for Hungary and Toliver has played for Slovakia. Bonner has reportedly acquired Macedonian citizenship and is expected to play in their qualifiers this fall to also close the door on Team USA.

A lot of people seem to focus on the national team play aspect of it, but players are not taking nationalities to play for them. That's simply the price paid to acquire the passport that will grant them the ability to make significantly more money in club play, which for the bigger name players can be hundreds of thousands of dollars over a career or even millions. Toliver was estimating that playing one tournament for Slovakia gave her the ability to double her club salary in the next season and Vandersloot has signed some big contracts after only having to appear a handful of times for Hungary. Bria Hartley is reportedly taking this path this season, which will allow her to team up with Kiah Stokes and Kelsey Plum without breaking the FIBA Europe and Turkish League limit of two non-Europeans per team. Barbara Turner will likely extend her overseas career well beyond her ability to play at a high level thanks to her Turkish passport just as Deanna Nolan was able to keep signing contracts in Russia even with declining skills.

At least these passports are legitimate. The Spanish men's league counts Cotonou Agreement countries under the same category as European players (as does the women's league, but not for continental competition) and they had to contemplate reform because it turned out that some Americans were getting fake African passports.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Just another vote for Tiff, who WNBA honchos vote "most underrated".

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ages when the 2020 Olympics start

Bird - 39
Taurasi - 38
Augustus - 36
Fowles - 34
McCoughtry - 33
Charles - 31
Moore - 31
Delle Donne - 30
Hayes - 30
C Ogwumike - 30
Griner - 29
Diggins - 29
N Ogwumike - 28
McBride - 28
Sims - 28
Loyd - 26
Stewart - 25
Plum - 25
A Gray - 25
K Mitchell - 24
Wilson - 23
KLS - 23

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Random notes:

Augustus is already showing signs of slowing down

Moriah has not (yet) shown her true worth...(it's next year or bust for her Olympic future)...I remain optimistic.

Is there not usually a recent grad or even a college player?
KLS's name only appeared once in the thread.

How can Tiff not be strongly in the mix? A wonderful season. Though it is true that McBride's stats are slightly better...Diggins has a slightly higher points per total but a lower %...but with her; there are always intangibles...undoubtedly a fierce competitor whom
one wants on the floor in crunch time.

Ogwumike certainly should be in the mix.

The 18/19 W season will be most illuminating and will separate the wheat from the chaff.

OT: Just about everyone has picked Breanna as MVP...but what about Liz; leading in points and equal in just about every category.

Last edited:

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Bird - 39
Taurasi - 38
Augustus - 36
Fowles - 34
McCoughtry - 33
Charles - 31
Moore - 31
Delle Donne - 30
Hayes - 30
C Ogwumike - 30
Griner - 29
Diggins - 29
N Ogwumike - 28
McBride - 28
Sims - 28
Loyd - 26
Stewart - 25
Plum - 25
A Gray - 25
K Mitchell - 24
Wilson - 23
KLS - 23

Only note, Nneka is older than Chiney so just flip those two ages.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Bird - 39
Taurasi - 38
Augustus - 36
Fowles - 34
McCoughtry - 33
Charles - 31
Moore - 31
Delle Donne - 30
Hayes - 30
C Ogwumike - 30
Griner - 29
Diggins - 29
N Ogwumike - 28
McBride - 28
Sims - 28
Loyd - 26
Stewart - 25
Plum - 25
A Gray - 25
K Mitchell - 24
Wilson - 23
KLS - 23

Chelsea Gray will be 27

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Random notes:

OT: Just about everyone has picked Breanna as MVP...but what about Liz; leading in points and equal in just about every category.

This is puzzling spin, at least for a UConn fan board. In one sense you sold Cambage short. She slightly leads Stewart in rebounds and blocks as well as points. Yet the only people ahead of Stewart in these categories are, like Cambage, centers who are expected to lead in these categories as their specialties. Even so, very few centers are ahead of Stewart, which means her partial value to the team is similar to a center's. Meanwhile, anything that is not the specialty of a center - steals, 3-pointers, FT %, etc. - Cambage and Stewart are not "equal," not even close. Stewart's value goes way beyond what a center can do, on the best team in the league. I get that fans use words to spin things; I would expect to hear "equal in just about every category" on an Australian or Gamecock fanboard (for Wilson). Strange to see such spin here.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Only note, Nneka is older than Chiney so just flip those two ages.
Well you know the "N" and the "C" are so close to each other on the keyboard. :oops: :rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think that Sue and Dee are locks for 2018. They really want to play in 2020. Let's see how they look and are playing. Tom Brady and Tiger Woods are proving that age is not the critical factor in ones game deteriorating.

I had a no-brainer pick of Nneka taking Catch's spot for 2018, but the Nneka of 2018 is not the Nneka of 2016.

Looking at 2020, I see at least the following as being locks: Griner, EDD, Maya, Tina, Stewie.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
This is puzzling spin, at least for a UConn fan board. In one sense you sold Cambage short. She slightly leads Stewart in rebounds and blocks as well as points. Yet the only people ahead of Stewart in these categories are, like Cambage, centers who are expected to lead in these categories as their specialties. Even so, very few centers are ahead of Stewart, which means her partial value to the team is similar to a center's. Meanwhile, anything that is not the specialty of a center - steals, 3-pointers, FT %, etc. - Cambage and Stewart are not "equal," not even close. Stewart's value goes way beyond what a center can do, on the best team in the league. I get that fans use words to spin things; I would expect to hear "equal in just about every category" on an Australian or Gamecock fanboard (for Wilson). Strange to see such spin here.

2 points:

Liz is ahead in assists (which is a surprise; and not a typical center attribute) and ahead (slightly) in rebounds, D and O which break either way ...Stewie way ahead in 3-pointers.

I'm not advocating for Liz; just mentioning that her stats are exemplary and certainly merit consideration.

That brings me to my second point for which I've been taking a similar position for almost a decade:

I love the team, adore the players, go to games, try not to miss a single one...they become the event of the evening whenever possible.

I am a great admired of Geno and the staff and appreciate
what they have accomplished; winning, spirited, essential BB, the way it's supposed to be played.

But despite the two paragraphs above, my adoration has not resulted in mindless infatuation in which excellent play from the opposition is overlooked or where errors by the staff are excused even if the the usual retort is ...How many Championships have you won?.....Boring...a method of destroying civilized discussion.

It is certainly not "puzzling spin" to note the worthiness of the leading scorer in the league; in no way does that denigrate the miraculous season that Stewie is putting on
(I had just showed my wife last game's Stewie highlights).

This board should be bigger than pure "homer" comments and traditionally is.

I advocate for a "big tent" for what proper fandom is....
(Not telling anyone what to do, just advocating tolerance).

Michael

Reaction Score
Dallas was 16-18 last year , seattle was 15-19, Cambage joined the team, and they have gotten worse, and seattle picked up Howard, and went to number 1. The MVP makes your team better, not worse, so there is no basis for Cambage as MVP.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Dallas was 16-18 last year , seattle was 15-19, Cambage joined the team, and they have gotten worse, and seattle picked up Howard, and went to number 1. The MVP makes your team better, not worse, so there is no basis for Cambage as MVP.
Considering the little change in record from last year and Dallas's flirtation with missing the playoffs, I couldn't vote for Liz for MVP unless her stats were a quantum leap better than than those of every player on a highly ranked team. They are not.

That said, I could vote for Liz for 1st or 2nd team All-WNBA.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Considering the little change in record from last year and Dallas's flirtation with missing the playoffs, I couldn't vote for Liz for MVP unless her stats were a quantum leap better than than those of every player on a highly ranked team. They are not.

That said, I could vote for Liz for 1st or 2nd team All-WNBA.
1st team for sure. IMHO. Regardless of whether you look at as 1-5 positions (PG, SG, etc), or the 5 best players in the league for 1st team - she's the best center, and one of the best players. 1st team either way for me...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom