2019 WNBA Draft | Page 16 | The Boneyard

2019 WNBA Draft

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
"Hard to see Anigwe getting any meaningful minutes anytime soon. Look at who was still on the board when they picked her and how some of those players might have helped this year.

Anigwe might work as a long term project or for a trade, but the Wun are not in particular need of her skillset at this time."

The other players taken in the first round were:

Kiara Leslie
Brianna Turner
Ezi Magbegor

Then in 2nd round:
Cunningham
Han Xu
Chloe Jackson
Shepard
Gustafson

The players I've bolded are the only ones who don't play the same position as Anigwe. Do you think CT could have gotten a better post? Or that they should have gone with a different position all together.

Sun could have taken Turner, Cunningham, Jackson, Shepard, or Gustafson with first pick and I would have gone for one of them. (And they could have had Anriel Howard with their second pick, who I think might turn out to be the best player in the second round.) I guess it boils down to how good you think Anigwe will be as a pro, or how she fits with the current Sun roster.

Anigwe's rebound stats are impressive – but she was Cal's only rebounder in what was basically a four-guard lineup, and the team was often out-rebounded. Against teams with pro-level posts or defenses (Baylor, CT, Stanford, etc.) Anigwe did not particularly distinguish herself offensively. Her assist numbers were also weak as were her free throw shooting and the number of fouls she committed..

Compare Anigwe with Brianna Turner (who played fewer minutes) and Turner's stats are MUCH better in every category except for total rebounds. (ND played a MUCH tougher schedule than Cal, and ND had three 250+ rebounders on the team.)

Reaction Score
I think Anigwe will give the Sun bench a really nice injection of energy, rebounding and rim protection. Like Billings gave Atlanta last year. Several Sun players will be RFAs next year and AT might be an UFA, so it’ll be good to have Anigwe still on a rookie contract.

I was hoping the team would get Samuelson because they could use her shooting. Hopefully Bridget Carleton will be a steal of the draft. :D

This team is deep! Looking forward to the season!

Reaction Score
ESPN's Mechelle Voepel just posted this article:
Notre Dame and Baylor still the story at WNBA draft
NCAA runner-up Notre Dame became the first team to get all five starters drafted, while two players from champion Baylor went in the top 15 picks.
I guess Baylor getting 2 players drafted in the top 15 overshadows UCONN having 2 players drafted in the top 6 picks. ESPN, why the bias against UCONN??

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
NCAA runner-up Notre Dame became the first team to get all five starters drafted, while two players from champion Baylor went in the top 15 picks.
I guess Baylor getting 2 players drafted in the top 15 overshadows UCONN having 2 players drafted in the top 6 picks. ESPN, why the bias against UCONN??
Maybe because Baylor won the NC and UConn didn't?

Reaction Score
I think they are just highlighting the last two teams standing in the tourney. It's not really a bias, just a focus on those two teams since they were in the final.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with this. I think Anigwe definitely brings something that the Sun do NOT currently have among all their impressive front court players. That is rebounding muscle in the paint, and scoring in the paint as well.

Jones has good height but is what is euphemistically called a "finesse player", not inclined to physical battles and definitely fond of her outside shot. Chiney and Morgan can play in the paint, but they can also play outside and seem inclined to continue doing that (and the coaches seem to agree). Alyssa Thomas specializes in penetration from outside the paint -- she has no real jump shot, and needs screens from teammates (or a fast break) to get her drives started. She is also two inches shorter than Anigwe, and I don't think she is as strong on the boards.

I don't think Anigwe will start for the Sun, but I think she will get significant minutes, mostly at Thomas's expense. If the Sun (after this season) have to shed payroll as their players hit free agency, I think they could elect to keep Jones and Ogwumike and let Alyssa Thomas go, with Anigwe stepping in to fill her shoes in the 2020 season.
With all that so called talent, the sun, every year are a big disappointment. They might need a better coach who would get rid of some of the players.

Jim

Reaction Score
If I was a professional players union I would have them fight taxes like that because it is in violation of the 16th Amendment, "Taxation without Representation". It is a giant overreach of out of control state Governments that think that just because I play a game in their state, BUT don't live there that they can tax me. Next they will go after someone that lives in another state but goes to NY on a business trip and tax that person because they conducted business in NY. If they keep it up maybe someday the NFL will only play the Super Bowl in states like Nevada, Florida, Texas, Tennessee, and other states that don't STEAL other peoples money.
The reason Greenwich, CT became a haven for the rich is that it is just over the state line near NYC. People would commute into NYC 20 or so miles away, work in the city, then go back home to CT and avoid paying the NY taxes. Then NY changed their rule to apply the state taxes where the income is earned, not the state of residence. There would not be much difference if, say, the Knicks players had their residence in Greenwich versus some white-collar worker.

There was a big stink about it when the rule just came out, but other states (like Massachusetts) do it too. So now pro players hire management companies to deal with the taxes and accounting while they focus on playing the game.

Reaction Score
She is the best player on her team. She just deferred to Arike

she deferred so much to her in the final that ND lost by 1. Actually, rather than deferred, I'd say she disappeared. she had one more point than turnovers.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The reason Greenwich, CT became a haven for the rich is that it is just over the state line near NYC. People would commute into NYC 20 or so miles away, work in the city, then go back home to CT and avoid paying the NY taxes. Then NY changed their rule to apply the state taxes where the income is earned, not the state of residence. There would not be much difference if, say, the Knicks players had their residence in Greenwich versus some white-collar worker.

There was a big stink about it when the rule just came out, but other states (like Massachusetts) do it too. So now pro players hire management companies to deal with the taxes and accounting while they focus on playing the game.
There is a BIG difference between someone working in one state while living in another state, the state that they live in DOES NOT tax that income. While someone's place of employment is in lets say Indiana goes to another state to play one or two games and get taxed by that state plus be taxed by Indiana at the same time. That is considered double taxation and should be challenged.

Reaction Score
That is what surprised me. Las Vegas had their choice of any player in the draft. They chose Young. Collier had a great year, but so did some other high profile players. We know what Collier did this year. I didn't follow Young at all, so I don't know how closely her numbers compared to Pheesa's. The pick is in, the Aces wanted Young. I can't say they made a mistake. Obviously they saw something in Young that they liked, time will tell. It will be interesting to see who has the better career numbers (and championships) over the next 5 years.

I think Chloe Jackson will make the cut in Chicago too. She was projected to go in the third round, but went #3 the second.

Here is an interesting look at UCF's Cierra Dillard.

5 things to know about Minnesota Lynx draft pick Cierra Dillard.

[LINK]
Cierra went to Buffalo not Ucf

Reaction Score
There is a BIG difference between someone working in one state while living in another state, the state that they live in DOES NOT tax that income. While someone's place of employment is in lets say Indiana goes to another state to play one or two games and get taxed by that state plus be taxed by Indiana at the same time. That is considered double taxation and should be challenged.
If what you are stating is in reference to athletes, then I know nothing about that. If you are referring to employment in general, I have to disagree. Some bordering states have rules in place that allow the home state to tax the income earned in another state. Examples of this are VA and MD. I lived in MD and worked in VA and only filed MD income taxes. Also I worked for another company that was in VA but I lived in NC and worked from home. I only filed taxes in NC even though technically I "worked" in VA.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I also think the Fever did exactly what they needed to. Their biggest need coming into the draft was a center. They got a 6-7 first team All American who is already ferocious defensively, and many folks think has only scratched the surface offensively. She'll have Dupree/Anchonwa at the 4 too, which should help both of them.

Yes -- this after having Vivians (a wing) and Howard (great rebounder but very undersized) at the 4 the last two years. There will be a learning curve to play with true power forwards, but I'm sure halfway through the year, she'll feel much freer with some size on her side.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
If what you are stating is in reference to athletes, then I know nothing about that. If you are referring to employment in general, I have to disagree. Some bordering states have rules in place that allow the home state to tax the income earned in another state. Examples of this are VA and MD. I lived in MD and worked in VA and only filed MD income taxes. Also I worked for another company that was in VA but I lived in NC and worked from home. I only filed taxes in NC even though technically I "worked" in VA.
Those are considered agreements between the states and that the person pays taxes in only one state, what I'm talking about is states like NY, CA, IL, etc take taxes out of players that don't live or work in their state, but comes in and plays a game or two and taxes that person's income, while that person is also taxed by the state that they live in. Lets take Gabby Williams, she lives and works in Chicago, but when she is on the road and plays in NY then CA, she pays taxes to NY and CA along with IL. A few years ago when the the NFL played the Super Bowl in NY the winners and losers payed prorated taxes for having the HONOR of playing in the Super Bowl in NY. The taxes were prorated off of the players yearly income and some of them actually paid more in taxes then what they made for playing in the Super Bowl, that's wrong.

Reaction Score
My friend and I were talking about the draft and neither of us understand why Jackie Young went number one. Athletic, versatile, but not dominant. Not someone who takes over a game. Doesn't have that something that seperates her from everyone else.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
My friend and I were talking about the draft and neither of us understand why Jackie Young went number one. Athletic, versatile, but not dominant. Not someone who takes over a game. Doesn't have that something that seperates her from everyone else.

1555040073780.png

That's a quote from the Vegas GM.

In Plum, McBride, and Wilson, they have scorers. And Jackie will score her share. But she'll complement those scorers with her defense, rebounding, and passing. And she can play multiple positions.

Jackie's not as explosive a scorer as Durr. But ask Stanford if she can take a game over. She dominated the second half of that Elite 8 game. And of course there was the 32 point Final Four game in 2018.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Sun could have taken Turner, Cunningham, Jackson, Shepard, or Gustafson with first pick and I would have gone for one of them. (And they could have had Anriel Howard with their second pick, who I think might turn out to be the best player in the second round.) I guess it boils down to how good you think Anigwe will be as a pro, or how she fits with the current Sun roster.

Anigwe's rebound stats are impressive – but she was Cal's only rebounder in what was basically a four-guard lineup, and the team was often out-rebounded. Against teams with pro-level posts or defenses (Baylor, CT, Stanford, etc.) Anigwe did not particularly distinguish herself offensively. Her assist numbers were also weak as were her free throw shooting and the number of fouls she committed..

Compare Anigwe with Brianna Turner (who played fewer minutes) and Turner's stats are MUCH better in every category except for total rebounds. (ND played a MUCH tougher schedule than Cal, and ND had three 250+ rebounders on the team.)

I guess that's a double edged sword--when she took on pro-level posts or defenses, she was the SOLE FOCUS of their efforts, since she was Cal's best player by far. Yes, Turner has better FG% stats, but she was also surrounded by four other WNBA draft picks, and most of her scores were on put backs or lay-ups off of drives and assists from the three pro-level guards on her roster. Impossible to know how each would do if their roles were reversed.

Also, Anigwe definitely struggled against Baylor's Cox and Brown (but what post didn't), and somewhat against UConn, but I'd disagree with you on Stanford--she put up 20 and 20 on them in back to back games. Her Stanford averages this year: 19.7ppg, 19.3rpg. The Pac 12 was also the second best conference in the country, so ti wasn't like she was feasting on the sisters of the poor when she became the country's leading rebounder by nearly 3rpg. She's definitely rough offensively, but she reminds me a bit of a Rebekka Brunson coming out of college.

Reaction Score
With all that so called talent, the sun, every year are a big disappointment. They might need a better coach who would get rid of some of the players.
I disagree with this. I'm not a huge follower of the WNBA, but enough to know that Miller brought a team with a losing record and bad attitude under the previous coach to a top 3 team, with the best record in the league a season or two ago, just had tough losses in the playoffs. And they seem to like playing together and for him now - good team chemistry. I see that as a coaching win. All they are missing is a Superstar - a Stewie or Diana or Maya, but there are only so many of those. So yes, there is room to grow, but I would say they have done very well the past few years.

Reaction Score
Those are considered agreements between the states and that the person pays taxes in only one state, what I'm talking about is states like NY, CA, IL, etc take taxes out of players that don't live or work in their state, but comes in and plays a game or two and taxes that person's income, while that person is also taxed by the state that they live in. Lets take Gabby Williams, she lives and works in Chicago, but when she is on the road and plays in NY then CA, she pays taxes to NY and CA along with IL. A few years ago when the the NFL played the Super Bowl in NY the winners and losers payed prorated taxes for having the HONOR of playing in the Super Bowl in NY. The taxes were prorated off of the players yearly income and some of them actually paid more in taxes then what they made for playing in the Super Bowl, that's wrong.
Isn't that what I stated in my reply?
And how can another state take out taxes of the paycheck of an out of state person if that person has not filed a State W-4 for the state that they "worked" in?
I guess I can understand why NY, CA, and MA (for other non WNBA sports) would attempt this but any other State would kinda shock me.
But it doesn't matter, it has no effect on me or my life....

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
The real story of the draft should be the fact that Baylor beat a team that had 3 top 10 and 5 top 20 picks in the draft, I mean c'mon, if that is not blowing it, I don't know what is. It will be the same situation for OR next year as they should be expected to win it all. Maybe some of these reporters who put together a mock draft that was terrible and then tried to make excuses for themselves should be spending time on how well Baylor did, along with the fact that they lost a player mid game. That is some heroics and saved ND from getting their butt handed to them.

As far as Cal goes, did you all forget the talent that they had hitting shots? Cal had players at each spot, now did they gel every game, NO. But ask yourself why the assists are so low.

As far a Young is concerned, Stanford did not adjust in the second half and were basically letting her get open shot after open shot. Not one of Taras better halves.

Last edited:

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

Maybe because Baylor won the NC and UConn didn't?

It is true that both teams had just played in the national championship game.

As an aside, this is what Voepel had to say about UConn players when she gave her WNBA Draft grades:

Minnesota Lynx: A+
Collier is a high-energy post player who will expand her game. Shepard can do a lot as a post, too. Rivals at UConn and Notre Dame the past two seasons, Collier and Shepard now could be the post duo of the future for Minnesota.

Chicago Sky: B
Samuelson as a lottery pick [top 4 pick] was a bit of a surprise. By the same token, there's no question she can score and gives Chicago another 3-point threat. And drafting UConn players high is always a good bet.

Not only were these accurate assessments (I, too, was surprised that Samuelson was taken ahead of Collier and that she was taken by Chicago, as she fit the needs of other teams -- e.g., New York, Dallas, LA, etc. -- more readily), but the last statement demonstrates the belief in and the analysis of UConn/Geno Auriemma in terms of developing players and preparing them for the WNBA/professional level.

WNBA draft grades: Phoenix and Minnesota score A-plus marks

Reaction Score
How hard is it for a 2nd round draft pick to make a roster?

I think it depends on the team they are drafted to, if ur drafted to a veteran type of team then I’m sure it’s harder, because there’s only 12 spots, but if ur drafted to a team that needs help it’s probably easier to make the team. That’s basically what happened to Katie sister karlie last season, la felt she was good enough to make the team at first, but they didn’t have the room to sign her at first.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom